This puts things in perspective somewhat!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

This puts things in perspective somewhat!

#1 Post by Boac » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:56 pm

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: This puts things in perspective somewhat!

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:18 am

The cosmos is an intriguing place and none more so than the extremes associated with supernovae, black holes, galaxy mergers, quasars, neutron stars, gamma ray bursts and magnetars, but I suspect that nothing in our universe will ever come close to its genesis. That early time line is fascinating and the extreme energies involved and expansion of space time beyond our human ken.

Of course it will eventually go dark, silent and still in the fullness of deep time... as the universe expands at an ever increasing rate and galaxies become isolated from each other, and light is unable to traverse the vast, ever increasing, distances between previously visible neighbours, leading to heat death as the process of thermodynamics peters out and and a cold uniformity takes over. Even the black holes will slowly evaporate due to Hawking radiation and in the fullness of time, thus after between +- 10^69 and 10^100 years, even they will have evaporated! Subatomic particles will have decayed by the end of that process and then there will simply be space and even space time itself may end.

The fate of the universe...
The grave yawns wider by the day...

What is it all about?

Let's hope Hugh Everett was right and there is an infinity of other universes and outcomes...

The many universes of Hugh Everett

Damn it, I have managed to depress myself...

:)
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: This puts things in perspective somewhat!

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:12 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."