Emergency escape mechanisms in the atmosphere and in space...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Emergency escape mechanisms in the atmosphere and in space...

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 05, 2020 8:30 am

This is the place to come to discuss the subject noted above.

I kick off with escape in extremis in space where a spacecraft or escape vehicle is not available, could a lone astronaut use a personal escape mechansm to reneter the earth's atmosphere and parachute to earth. Seems my wild imaginings have been thought of by better men and women and me...
MOOSE, originally an acronym for Man Out Of Space Easiest but later changed to the more professional-sounding Manned Orbital Operations Safety Equipment, was a proposed emergency "bail-out" system capable of bringing a single astronaut safely down from Earth orbit to the planet's surface.

The design was proposed by General Electric in the early 1960s. The system was quite compact, weighing 200 lb (91 kg) and fitting inside a suitcase-sized container. It consisted of a small twin-nozzle rocket motor sufficient to deorbit the astronaut, a PET film bag 6 ft (1.8 m) long with a flexible 0.25 in (6.4 mm) ablative heat shield on the back, two pressurized canisters to fill it with polyurethane foam, a parachute, radio equipment and a survival kit.[citation needed]

The astronaut would leave the vehicle in a space suit, climb inside the plastic bag, and then fill it with foam. The bag had the shape of a blunt cone, with the astronaut embedded in its base facing outward. The rocket pack would protrude from the bag and be used to slow the astronaut's orbital speed enough so that they would reenter Earth's atmosphere, and the foam-filled bag would act as insulation during the subsequent aerobraking. Finally, once the astronaut had descended to 30,000 ft (9.1 km) where the air was sufficiently dense, the parachute would automatically deploy and slow the astronaut's fall to 17 mph (7.6 m/s). The foam heat shield would serve a final role as cushioning when the astronaut touched down and as a flotation device should they land on water. The radio beacon would guide rescuers.
MOOSE.JPG
MOOSE

Extreme stuff indeed...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Emergency escape mechanisms in the atmosphere and in space...

#2 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue May 05, 2020 8:56 am

TGG, you do find some interesting things.

You mention in atmosphere too. For a bailout in atmosphere, either from an aircraft or rocket using a PET bag would be difficult.

One solution is the capsule system. The B58 Hustler and the F111 both used a capsule system and I think the early Vulcan concept considered the cabin as a capsule.

In the case of combat aircraft I don't know how it would work after battle damage.

With very high in atmosphere bailout an astronaut 's space suit would be effective as a life support system. In the case of manned aircraft without space suits, like the SR71, bailout was possible but not something to look forward too.

I heard that a PR Canberra disintegrated at very high altitude after a flare ignited prematurely. The two crew just had G-trousers and a partial pressure jerkin with a pressure breathing oxygen mask. The descent for the first 3 miles in free fall would have been about a minute at temperatures of the -60. Then the pressure breathing would ease off at about 36,000 feet and a further free fall for 21,000 to 26,000 feet, quite enough to numb the fingers and face.

Automatic chute opening at 5,000 metres of 10,000 feet depending on the catalyst fitted. Plenty of time to ponder whether you should have worn more clothing.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Tue May 05, 2020 9:39 am

" In the case of manned aircraft without space suits, like the SR71," I think the 71 and U2 crews were flying in 'space suits', PN.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ian16th » Tue May 05, 2020 10:02 am

Back c1962-4 ,13 Sqdn aircrew wore some impressive kit when they went high in their PR9's

Can't define 'high' other than I know it was above 60 000ft.
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue May 05, 2020 10:19 am

Boac wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:39 am
" In the case of manned aircraft without space suits, like the SR71," I think the 71 and U2 crews were flying in 'space suits', PN.
Insert 'had' after '71'.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue May 05, 2020 10:21 am

ian16th wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:02 am
Back c1962-4 ,13 Sqdn aircrew wore some impressive kit when they went high in their PR9's

Can't define 'high' other than I know it was above 60 000ft.
Ian, same as the Vulcan though probably more like the Lightning where they had the Taylor helmet and were clear to 66k.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 05, 2020 10:47 am

A recent (last decade) high altitude escape without any protection, save for a parachute, occurred when Virgin's Spaceship 2's co-pilot unfurled/unfeathered its wings come air-brakes at transonic speed, at too low an altitude, causing the violent disintegration of the craft... amazingly the pilot was ejected by the disintegration forces and afterwards he said could feel his spittle boiling as he tumbled towards a lower altitude where a barometric device opened his chute. He was badly injured but survived. Sadly the co-pilot was killed.

VSS Enterprise Crash
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 05, 2020 11:06 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 10:47 am
A recent (last decade) high altitude escape without any protection, save for a parachute, occurred when Virgin's Spaceship 2's co-pilot unfurled its wings at transonic speed at too low an altitude, causing the violent disintegration of the craft... amazingly the pilot was ejected by the disintegration forces and afterwards he said could feel his spittle boiling as he tumbled towards a lower altitude where a barometric device opened his chute. He was badly injured but survived. Sadly the co-pilot was killed.
Pete Siebold's harrowing descent

Edited to say that I had read elsewhere that Pete Siebold felt his spittle fizzing but I dragged out my book on Boyles Law and suspect that what he felt was not his spittle boiling" but some other phenomenon. It appears that blood, at temp +- 37 degrees Celsius will boil, all other things being ISA, at 63,000 feet...

Ebullism

The True Nature of the Boiling of Body Fluids in Space

Great word and could be a synonym for some of the rubbish spouted on the political threads which boil my piss...

Edited to say that my calcs on spittle boiling hadn't taken the density of spittle into account and so the fizzing may very well have been occasioned by it boiling.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Tue May 05, 2020 11:14 am

PN wrote:Insert 'had' after '71'.
lost me again, I'm afraid?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by Boac » Tue May 05, 2020 11:23 am

'Twas enough to make my spittle boil, as they say...

Sounds like Virgin managed a complete cluster-f**k there! A 'lightweight suit', no rescue facilities -jeez!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 05, 2020 11:25 am

Boac wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:23 am
'Twas enough to make my spittle boil, as they say...

Sounds like Virgin managed a complete cluster-f**k there! A 'lightweight suit', no rescue facilities -jeez!
Completely negligent as you say... wasn't the first fatal accident either...

Old Beardy claimed he had never met the co-pilot Michael Alsbury when he clearly had. Whatever respect I had had for that egregious grasping shyster disappeared when I heard that, and the news that Michael Alsbury's family had had to rely on a Go-Fund me appeal immediately after the crash told me everything that one needs to know about the bearded wonder.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by Boac » Tue May 05, 2020 12:22 pm

I still remain confused about the accident, I gather the break-up began at the moment in the video when the tail started to pivot upwards (why do we not see any more on-board film then?).

What I have read says the tail was 'unlocked' too early, at M0.8/.9 and aerodynamic forces then forced it to 'stream'. The reports say it should not have been unlocked until M1.4 for use at apogee at M1.8. What does not make sense is the reference to Mach. M1.4 would fairly quickly follow M0.8 with that lot burning, so I would have thought unlocking at M1.4 would have been just as hazardous. Surely the limits should have been IAS?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 05, 2020 12:47 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 12:22 pm
I still remain confused about the accident, I gather the break-up began at the moment in the video when the tail started to pivot upwards (why do we not see any more on-board film then?).

What I have read says the tail was 'unlocked' too early, at M0.8/.9 and aerodynamic forces then forced it to 'stream'. The reports say it should not have been unlocked until M1.4 for use at apogee at M1.8. What does not make sense is the reference to Mach. M1.4 would fairly quickly follow M0.8 with that lot burning, so I would have thought unlocking at M1.4 would have been just as hazardous. Surely the limits should have been IAS?
Here is a high speed image of the beginning of the breakup...

The accidental deployment at +- Mach 0.8 - 0.9 was disastrous because the transonic flow over parts of the feathering device coupled with the pressure wave over the main fuselage induced catastrophic turbulence and force coupling at that altitude/atmospheric pressure. At M1.4 the shock waves wouldn't have coincided as the space/aircraft would have passed M1.0, with the shock fronts falling behind the air/spacecraft. Also at M1.4, Max q would have been passed on the optimum launch trajectory and the forces on the ship would have been less at the higher altitude. The accidental unfurling happened at the very worst moment it could have.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Boac » Tue May 05, 2020 1:01 pm

Thanks for the extra info. But no footage of the actual breakup.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 05, 2020 1:25 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:01 pm
Thanks for the extra info. But no footage of the actual breakup.

That video is the best onboard external video there is available online, you see the turbulence causing the footage to start breaking up before all went black...

VSS.JPG

There is onboard cabin footage of the pilots apparently but this has not made it onto the tinterweb...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 05, 2020 1:40 pm

This recent Soyuz escape occurred after the escape tower had been jettisoned (or not, you look at it and tell us what you think)?

There have been two previous Soviet failures...

Soyuz 7K-T No.39

and the 1983 Soyuz escape tower usage...

Soyuz 7K-ST
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 05, 2020 2:00 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:40 pm

and the 1983 Soyuz escape tower usage...

Soyuz 7K-ST

The crew was sitting on the pad awaiting fueling of the Soyuz-U booster to complete prior to liftoff. Approximately 90 seconds before the intended launch, a bad valve caused nitrogen pressurization gas to enter the RP-1 turbopump of the Blok B strap-on. The pump began spinning up, but with no propellant in it, the speed of rotation quickly exceeded its design limits which caused it to rupture and allow RP-1 to leak out and start a fire which quickly engulfed the base of the launch vehicle. Titov and Strekalov could not see what was happening outside, but they felt unusual vibrations and realized that something was amiss. The launch control team activated the escape system but the control cables had already burned through, and the Soyuz crew could not activate or control the escape system themselves. The backup radio command to fire the LES required 2 independent operators to receive separate commands to do so and each act within 5 seconds, which took several seconds to occur. Then explosive bolts fired to separate the descent module from the service module and the upper launch payload shroud from the lower, the escape system motor fired, dragging the orbital module and descent module, encased within the upper shroud, free of the booster with an acceleration of 14 to 17g (137 to 167 m/s²) for five seconds. According to Titov, "We could feel the booster swaying from side to side. Then there was a sudden vibration and a jerking sensation as the LES activated."

Just after the escape tower pulled the descent module away, the booster exploded. Its remains burned on the pad for nearly 20 hours. Four grid fins on the outside of the shroud opened and the descent module separated from the orbital module at an altitude of 650 meters (2132 feet), dropping free of the shroud. The descent module discarded its heat shield, exposing the solid-fuel landing rockets, and deployed a fast-opening emergency parachute. Touchdown occurred about four kilometers (2.4 miles) from the launch pad. The two crew members were badly bruised after the high acceleration, but were otherwise in good health and did not require any medical attention.] Upon being greeted by recovery crews, they immediately asked for cigarettes to steady their nerves. The cosmonauts were then given shots of vodka to help them relax.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 05, 2020 2:12 pm

Of course there is the traditional aircraft ejection system that one or two here may have used...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by Boac » Tue May 05, 2020 2:39 pm

You'll not get me up in one of those!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 05, 2020 3:02 pm

Boac wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:39 pm
You'll not get me up in one of those!

This is what this chap probably said after he had been dropped unceremoniously, seat and all, out of his brother's Jet Provost...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _07-94.pdf
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."