SpaceX

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: SpaceX

#641 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue May 25, 2021 2:38 am

Boac wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 6:04 pm
It's looking better now they have wellied it wiv a big 'ammer. =))
It looked at bit like Jake the Peg with his extra leg before the use of Thor's hammer there!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#642 Post by Boac » Wed May 26, 2021 7:43 pm

SN15 now craned off its launch pad onto the transporter, so I suspect it is bye-byes for it. I vote for making it a 'museum piece'.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#643 Post by Boac » Wed May 26, 2021 9:31 pm

Really odd watching it 'trundle' up the road :))

Yet another successful Starlink launch and recovery! Only the 85th successful landing................

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#644 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed May 26, 2021 9:33 pm

Former NASA astronaut plans private trip back to space: 'It's a little bit like an addiction'

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/25/tech/spa ... index.html

New York (CNN Business)Record-holding NASA astronaut Peggy Whitson has spent more time in outer space than almost any other human on the planet, but even in retirement she's desperate to go back. On Tuesday, the 61-year-old Whitson revealed that she will do just that — and this time, she's flying private.

Axiom, a Houston-based company that focuses on arranging commercial flights to space, announced that Whitson will pilot a mission dubbed AX-2, which could be among the first privately funded civilian missions to space to launch from US soil.
"It's a little bit of an addiction," Whitson told CNN Business' Rachel Crane about her desire to return to orbit. Even with 665 total days in space already -- almost two years -- under her belt, Whitson, who first flew into space in 2002, says she hopes this mission won't be her last. She says she wants "many more — more and more and more and more; as many as I can get."
John Shoffner, an entrepreneur, race car driver, and pilot with over 8,500 flight hours in various aircraft, will join Whitson on the mission as a tourist.

AX-2 will make use of a SpaceX Crew Dragon capsule to carry Whitson and Shoffner to the International Space Station, the two-decade-old laboratory that orbits about 200 miles above the Earth's surface.
SpaceX's Crew Dragon is the same type of capsule that NASA is using to fly its own astronauts to the station. Since SpaceX still technically owns those vehicles, however, the company is allowed to sell seats or entire missions to anyone who can afford a multimillion-dollar ticket. It's all part of the US space industry's plan to drastically expand the amount of private-sector activity in space after decades of government dominance.

The financial terms of the AX-2 deal were not disclosed nor is it clear who is funding the trip, but Whitson noted: "I'm not writing a check." When asked, Shoffner said only that he's "happy to be along for the ride."
Previously, the US government has indicated that Crew Dragon seats could cost about $55 million each.
During Whitson and Shoffner's stay on the ISS, they'll live alongside professional astronauts — including some of Whitson's former colleagues — who use the orbiting laboratory for scientific research.
Whitson, who nabbed the American record for time spent in space during her 22-year NASA career, said the AX-2 mission will likely be less onerous than the trips she's made to space on behalf of the US space agency. Still, Whitson said, she and Shoffner will be keeping busy: Shoffner plans to host livestreams from space to encourage math and science education. And they'll be supporting research projects for a company called 10XGenomics, Shoffner said.
Ahead of the mission, they'll also endure just as much training as they would for a NASA mission, Whitson said.
It's not clear when AX-2 will take off. First, NASA must formally approve Axiom's plans to make use of the International Space Station, and the space agency has previously said it will only allow two privately funded trips ISS per year to ensure that visitors don't interfere with the work of active NASA astronauts. Axiom has already secured one such slot, for a mission called AX-1, which is slated to take off in 2022.

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#645 Post by Boac » Mon May 31, 2021 9:55 am

2 snippets for Muskrats:

It appears that a Raptor may have 'passed' a static fire test lasting more than 5 minutes, which is the duration required for the orbital insertion phase.

It would be 'nice to know' if your Raptors are going last long enough.................especially when you are sitting on your arse on Mars with an optimistic box of matches in your hand......... =))

Second item is that SpaceX 'claim' to be producing a new Raptor engine every 48 hours.

(Re the previous), will the 'Starship Breakdown Recovery Service' be able to ship and fit new ones on Mars.........? :))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#646 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon May 31, 2021 1:46 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 9:55 am
2 snippets for Muskrats:

It appears that a Raptor may have 'passed' a static fire test lasting more than 5 minutes, which is the duration required for the orbital insertion phase.

It would be 'nice to know' if your Raptors are going last long enough.................especially when you are sitting on your arse on Mars with an optimistic box of matches in your hand......... =))

Second item is that SpaceX 'claim' to be producing a new Raptor engine every 48 hours.

(Re the previous), will the 'Starship Breakdown Recovery Service' be able to ship and fit new ones on Mars.........? :))
Once, again, despite my scepticism about some aspect of the programme, I do count myself as a Muskrat, as SpaceX is, in many respects, a very admirable company (not least the admirable launch and recovery track-record here on earth). As for Mars, as you so delicately point out, they have no track record at all and the current Starship programme, as interesting as it is, fills we with little confidence in the verisimilitude of their testing programme, or the likelihood of success on the red planet in the near term.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#647 Post by Boac » Mon May 31, 2021 2:06 pm

Luckily neither you nor I will be going...........................

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#648 Post by Boac » Mon May 31, 2021 2:15 pm

17:29(Z) June 3rd. An insight into what is going up. First flight of a new Falcon booster. https://www.nasa.gov/content/spacex-22-mission-overview

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#649 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon May 31, 2021 8:00 pm

Boac wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 2:06 pm
Luckily neither you nor I will be going...........................
Yes, no Martian sunrises, ever, for either of us, or anybody else for at least two decades or more, if my scepticism is correct!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#650 Post by Boac » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:52 am

There appears to be growing interest (including from the military) in using the Starship as a 'point-to-point' cargo (passenger?) delivery here on earth. I guess you will need a landing pad in place at destination (and a few slit trenches/tin hats...... :)) ) but an interesting proposition.

USA to far-east in 1 hour? I am not clear whether the existing starship has the fuel/power to achieve this without the booster. Anyone know?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#651 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:05 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:52 am
There appears to be growing interest (including from the military) in using the Starship as a 'point-to-point' cargo (passenger?) delivery here on earth. I guess you will need a landing pad in place at destination (and a few slit trenches/tin hats...... :)) ) but an interesting proposition.

USA to far-east in 1 hour? I am not clear whether the existing starship has the fuel/power to achieve this without the booster. Anyone know?
Given the RUD propensity of these rockets, will the likelihood of shrapnel at the landing zone be seen as a positive in that the putative cargo carrier morphs into a weapon after a failed landing? =))

Seriously though I am not sure about the booster. I suspect it would be necessary, if not just to carry the additional fuel that in itself generates the need to carry extra fuel. A very expensive, albeit quick way, to carry a very limited payload.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#652 Post by Boac » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:59 pm

Another flawless launch (and first-stage recovery on the barge) and the un-manned 'Cargo Dragon' is on its way to the ISS.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#653 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:21 pm

HO HUM! :YMAPPLAUSE:
Getting to be so non-newsworthy. :-bd
I knew about the (then upcoming) launch and its payload, but didn't mark the calendar.

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#654 Post by Boac » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:13 am

Dragon cargo approaching ISS right now. https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Task for TGG

#655 Post by Boac » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:15 am

Is the 'homing' for the Falcon booster landing
a) GPS
b) Radio navigation?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Task for TGG

#656 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:19 am

Boac wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:15 am
Is the 'homing' for the Falcon booster landing
a) GPS
b) Radio navigation?
The specific details of the system has been an abiding mystery to me because Musk and his technical team have been tight lipped about this, not least because Bizos and his team are also in the pad landing game and have patented the Blue Origin system and there has been a monumental legal dispute the compnaies.

Patent dispute between Blue Origin and SpaceX

Musk gave a little away about the use of GPS here, early in the programme but not a lot. I shall look further into this interesting question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceX_re ... nt_program
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#657 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:30 am

It is almost certain that SpaceX are using some sort of relative guidance GPS system, possibly backed up by further guidance and correction based upon telemetry that the Falcon booster's guidance is transmitting.

The Google patent gives us some clue has how this kind of system might work. The SpaceX system would use a base station centered on the pad.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5344105A/en
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#658 Post by Boac » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:54 am

Great stuff, TGG - I knew I could rely on you! Thanks.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#659 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:29 am

here has been a monumental legal dispute the compnaies.
"between the companies"

There has been a monumental dispute between my digits. My Pontius Digititis proceeds apace! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#660 Post by Boac » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:32 am

I thought for a moment PN had hacked your O-N log-in....................