Jim LeBlanc - The man that survived space suit failure in a almost total vacuum.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Jim LeBlanc - The man that survived space suit failure in a almost total vacuum.

#1 Post by OneHungLow » Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:42 pm

The biomedical aspects of space flight are many and varied, and generally negative for human health, both mental and physical. I was apt to wonder if a human might survive a space suit failure in the vacuum of space and if so, would the astronaut have any time to get back in through the airlock to safety, as is so often portrayed in science fiction films vide. "2001: A Space Odyssey" .

I was interested to read about and watch this documentary about Jim Le Blanc who survived just such a failure in a vacuum chamber while testing a spacesuit in the 1960's.

https://www.space.com/how-long-could-yo ... y%20deaths.
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Jim LeBlanc - The man that survived space suit failure in a almost total vacuum.

#2 Post by Karearea » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:28 pm

OneHungLow wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:42 pm
... this documentary about Jim Le Blanc who survived just such a failure in a vacuum chamber while testing a spacesuit in the 1960's. ...
That was really interesting, thank you, OHL.
Excellent to hear the names and stories of so many, who risked life and limb here on Earth to assure the safety of the astronauts in space. Much courage and ingenuity among them.

Going to re-watch my dvd of Apollo 13 now.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye