EC130 goes down in Grand Canyon

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

EC130 goes down in Grand Canyon

#1 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:43 am

Four survivors of a deadly helicopter crash in the Grand Canyon on Saturday evening were rescued during an operation that stretched into the early hours of Sunday morning, according to Police Chief Francis E. Bradley Sr. of the Hualapai reservation.

The helicopter was operated by Papillon Airways, an aerial sightseeing company that gives tours of the Grand Canyon and other locations, Bradley said.
Three people died when the EC-130 went down at 5:20 p.m. (7:20 p.m. ET) Saturday near Quartermaster Canyon, within the Grand Canyon on the Hualapai Nation.

A pilot and six passengers from the United Kingdom were on board, Bradley said.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/10/us/g ... index.html

Some reports are talking of very high winds at the time of the accident..

[bbvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/C5W16qACXGw[/bbvideo]

Caco

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: EC130 goes down in Grand Canyon

#2 Post by ian16th » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:41 am

I remember seeing one of the very early Cinerama movies in London, they had mounted a camera in the bomb aimers position of I think it was a B-26, and flew along the Grand Canyon.

Very impressive, but at the time I thought very dangerous.
I ain't changed my mind.
Cynicism improves with age

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:16 am

Ian, I've seen both the Grand Canyon and the Blyde River Canyon in SA, and given the choice the Blyde River one is far more impressive. Flew some peeps up to Phalaborwa for a two day trip - northern Kruger, and it had been decided that preferable if I stayed up there rather than return to Rand. At the time a tour company were working out the logistics of doing both the Kruger and the BR Canyon, having nothing else to do went along for the ride.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by FD2 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:17 pm

I wouldn't want to go flying around the Grand Canyon with one engine, but reliability has increased by a huge amount since I flew with one engine back in prehistoric times. I've seen some photos of the 6 pax EC130 and it has seven proper seats with good restraints. The pilot flies in the left seat so that the collective is out of the way, allowing three seats across the front and four across the back. Sometimes accidents just happen but I would always have a preference for two engines when continually operating over inhospitable terrain, where the prospects of a successful engine out landing are remote and there doesn't appear to be a dedicated SAR presence.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Sorry to hear that another one of the passengers in this accident has died...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... pter-crash

Caco

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by FD2 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:17 pm

Grand Canyon fatal helicopter crash 'probably caused by wind'

The determination is announced - high winds probably caused loss of control. A very sad business but on the bright side that particular operator fitted crash resistant fuel tanks. I don't know about other operators.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-55674015

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Boac » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:27 pm

Sad, but why were 4 UK folk 'holidaying' in the USA?

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by k3k3 » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:30 pm

It was two years ago.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Boac » Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:37 pm

Yes - just noticed that! Got suckered in there!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:27 pm

Family of British tourist among 5 killed in 2018 Grand Canyon helicopter crash wins $100M settlement

https://www.azfamily.com/2024/01/09/fam ... ettlement/

RENO, Nev. (AP) — A Nevada judge has approved a $100 million cash settlement to the parents of a British tourist who was among five killed — including his newlywed wife — when a helicopter crashed and burst into flames in the Grand Canyon in 2018.

Under the settlement approved in Las Vegas on Friday, the family of Jonathan Udall, 31, will receive $24.6 million from the operator of the helicopter, Papillon Airways Inc., and $75.4 million from its French manufacturer, Airbus Helicopters SAS.

The family’s lawyer, Gary C. Robb of Kansas City, Missouri, said they insisted the settlement terms be made public to raise awareness about aircraft fuel tanks they say are prone to rupturing.

“The parents say the fuel tank was basically a fire bomb,” Robb told The Associated Press late Monday.

On Friday, Jan. 5, 2024, a Nevada judge approved a $100 million cash settlement to the parents of a British tourist who was among five killed — including his newlywed wife — when the helicopter crashed and burst into flames in the Grand Canyon in 2018.(Teddy Fujimoto via AP, File)
Lawyers for the defendants, Eric Lyttle for Airbus Helicopters Inc., and William Katt for Papillon Airways, confirmed the terms, according to a transcript of a hearing Friday in Clark County District Court. They did not immediately return calls late Monday or respond to emails Tuesday from The Associated Press.

Jonathan and Ellie Milward Udall, 29, boarded the helicopter from Boulder City, Nevada, with the three others who were killed. They were touring the Grand Canyon on the Hualapai reservation, outside the boundaries of the national park in Arizona, when the crash happened.

The family’s lawsuit alleged the helicopter was unsafe because it lacked a crash-resistant fuel system that’s now required for aircraft built after the Federal Aviation Administration issued new regulations in 2020. Robb said some helicopter manufacturers have voluntarily replaced the fuel tanks grandfathered in under the FAA regulations but many have not.

“The Udall family wants to shine a spotlight on this issue so the industry will take note and voluntarily seek to correct this public health issue. They don’t want anyone else to go through what their son went through in an otherwise survivable accident — not a broken bone. He would have walked away.”

The Airbus EC130 B4 crashed just before sunset in February 2018 in a section of the Grand Canyon where air tours aren’t as highly regulated as in the national park. Three of the British tourists on board were pronounced dead at the scene: veterinary receptionist Becky Dobson, 27; her boyfriend and car salesman Stuart Hill, 30; and Hill’s brother, 32-year-old lawyer Jason Hill.

Jonathan Udall, of Southampton, and Ellie Udall later died of complications from burn injuries. His parents claimed in the lawsuit that their son could have survived if not for the post-fire crash.

All of them were on the trip to celebrate Stuart Hill’s birthday.

Robb said helicopter manufacturers have been aware the old-fashioned, hard-plastic fuel tanks are prone to rupturing during hard landings.

“The fuel pours onto the passengers, then ignites. It’s just horrible,” he said. “The three people on the right side of the aircraft never escaped. They were completely burned in their seats.”

The National Transportation Safety Board said turbulent winds were a probable cause of the loss of control and tail-rotor effectiveness before the hard landing outside the national park boundaries.

Its final accident report in January 2021 said the investigation found no evidence of mechanical problems with the helicopter but noted it lacked a crash-resistant fuel system. The helicopters in Papillon’s fleet weren’t required to have them, but the company has since retrofitted the aircraft with fuel tanks that expand and seal upon impact instead of rupturing.

The pilot, Scott Booth, fractured his lower left leg, and passenger Jennifer Barham had a spinal fracture. They also suffered severe burns but survived. Since then, both of Booth’s legs have been amputated, he said.

Papillon Helicopters spokesman Matt Barkett said in an email to AP on Tuesday that safety is the company’s top priority. He noted the NTSB concluded there were no mechanical problems “and our pilot was not found to be at fault due to the extreme weather conditions.”

“Crash resistant fuel cells were installed in Papillon’s entire fleet once the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) approved their use in the months following this accident. We continue to extend our sympathies to the families of the victims and now close this difficult chapter in our history,” he wrote.

PP

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:32 pm

So, how was the helicopter unsafe if it was legal and no individuals were at fault?
Or, if you prefer, how was it legal if it was unsafe?

My apologies for a legal rather than an aviation question.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#12 Post by G~Man » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:52 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:32 pm
So, how was the helicopter unsafe if it was legal and no individuals were at fault?
Or, if you prefer, how was it legal if it was unsafe?
As with all legal stuff it clearly gets complicated. The lawsuit only "alleged the helicopter was unsafe".....

I guess technically it was safe under the rules at the time. It could have been safer. Just like cars were sold as "safe" back in the 60's without airbags and in some cases seat belts---they could have been safer.
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)