Caco's trial helicopter flight.....

G~Man
Capt
Capt

Re: Caco's trial helicopter flight.....

#121 Post by G~Man » Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:56 pm

I suspect the bucket did hit the TR in this pic. It is stated in numerous places that the bucket should either be attached to the belly hook or a minimum 50' line. In the picture you posted it is clearly on a short lead line which is a big no no..... It should have been like this:
Huey 3.jpg
Huey 3.jpg (25.99 KiB) Viewed 571 times
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#122 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:26 pm

I remember seeing the aftermath of an accident in the Cape Town CBD early one morning where many said that the use of a long line would pre-empted this accident....

It seems that the correct or appropriate use of the equipment is key to mitigating risk in an already risky helicopter environment. If I remember correctly, the South Easter was already howling down on the foreshore and I suspect a gust caught the very experienced and skilled pilot out at the wrong moment.

The video is actually quite distressing to watch...

Caco

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#123 Post by G~Man » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:04 pm

Cacophonix wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:26 pm
If I remember correctly, the South Easter was already howling down on the foreshore and I suspect a gust caught the very experienced and skilled pilot out at the wrong moment.
Caco
Looks like straight up pilot error to me. Should have been using a long line, that way thy would not have been in such a tight area in the first place.
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#124 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:19 pm

G~Man wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:04 pm
Cacophonix wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:26 pm
If I remember correctly, the South Easter was already howling down on the foreshore and I suspect a gust caught the very experienced and skilled pilot out at the wrong moment.
Caco
Looks like straight up pilot error to me. Should have been using a long line, that way thy would not have been in such a tight area in the first place.
Maybe a certain amount of hubris had crept into this operation. They were knwon as "The Incredibles" for their ability to operate in tough conditions.

Caco

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#125 Post by FD2 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Caco - I agree with G~Man - the handling pilot turned the tail rotor into the hoarding. There is no evidence I can see that any turbulence was affecting the hover. It looks like a man wearing a white helmet is in the doorway under the winch. Were his warnings ignored? Maybe your hubris comment is right - it's frightening how a straightforward operation can turn bad so quickly - a long line would have kept him clear of everything.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#126 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:15 pm

Your comment about the chap in the white helmet directing ops is apposite FD2. Once again, if I remember correctly, he was either a Russian or a Ukrainian and there was some question as to whether or not the South African pilot misheard his directions due to his accent.

Not disagreeing with the notion of pilot error, just pointing out all the factors that might have come together to make this accident happen. I can assure you that the wind was gusting as I was driving onto the foreshore when the accident happened and I saw the smoke billowing in the wind directly afterwards although I was not immediately aware of the cause of the conflagration .

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#127 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:31 pm

More fun was had by Caco in an aircraft today than I have had for years. Weather perfect, allowed to take off and pilot the bloody machine myself from the ground into the circuit and under the watchful and helpful eye of my instructor. First time that I have begun to think, you know, I am beginning to get the hang of this, despite my many hamfisted faux pas.

It was all going on at Headcorn today with parachutists and aerobat's vying with each other to make the circuit a very busy one indeed...

Cap and Stampe fire up while the Islander starts another parachute sortie.jpg
Cap and Stampe fire up while the Islander starts another parachute sortie.jpg (44.02 KiB) Viewed 574 times
Handswinging a Tiger Moth....JPG
Handswinging a Tiger Moth....JPG (41.88 KiB) Viewed 574 times
:)

And look at these useful heli links that that nice American chap Wilco sent me...

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... _handbook/

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/

Caco

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#128 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:27 pm

Is that a DH Devon next to the Spitfire in the background? and a C47 further to the right?

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#129 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:08 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:27 pm
Is that a DH Devon next to the Spitfire in the background? and a C47 further to the right?
That's a De Havilland Dove sitting next to the twin seat Spitfire Mk IXT NH341 ‘Elizabeth’ and the the C47 as you say G-CPTN.

https://www.aerolegends.co.uk/the-aircraft/

Caco

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#130 Post by FD2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:32 am

It's a question of mark and service/civilian I think, Caco, whether Dove or Devon:

After further fine-tuning of the prototype and the addition of a small dorsal fin to improve directional stability, the aircraft entered production as the seven to eleven seat Dove Mk.1 airliner and the six seat Dove Mk.2 executive transport. Orders began to arrive for the Dove, the Mk.2 proving very popular with a number of large companies. Its potential was soon noticed by the military and the Royal Air Force placed an order for a military communications variant. In response, de Havilland developed the Dove Mk.4 with deliveries of the first of 30 to the RAF beginning in 1948. Essentially the same as the civil version, the Mk.4 was limited to seven seats due to the inclusion of a survival dinghy. One major difference between the military and civil variants was the name; Dove was hardly a suitable name for a military aircraft so the Mk.4 became the far more militarily acceptable Devon C.Mk.1. The Fleet Air Arm ordered a total of 13 aircraft as the Sea Devon C.Mk.20.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#131 Post by FD2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:33 am

Well done on the rotary progress! :-bd

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#132 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:34 am

Nearly got runned over by a Dove. 1964 marshalling a Vulcan onto pan at Finningley semi-dark, when a Dove comes whistling around the perimeter track. Obviously the pilot was running late for happy hour at the Officers Mess, didn't see me with lighted batons as I concentrated on settling the Vulcan onto the chock tie down point. Crew Chief came running across waving his arms and yelling at me just in time for me to jump out of the way of the errant Dove. In order to be seen by the Vulcan crew I would have been standing right in the middle of the perimeter track.

The things we did to save the world from the Soviet threat.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#133 Post by FD2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:41 am

Nearly 'death in the dark' Alison! Like the big Nazi in 'Raiders of the Lost Ark'. Taxiing was supposed to be a 'fast walking pace', or was that just for helicopters?

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#134 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:56 am

FD2 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:33 am
Well done on the rotary progress! :-bd
Cheers FD2. :-bd

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#135 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:03 am

FD2 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:32 am
It's a question of mark and service/civilian I think, Caco, whether Dove or Devon:

After further fine-tuning of the prototype and the addition of a small dorsal fin to improve directional stability, the aircraft entered production as the seven to eleven seat Dove Mk.1 airliner and the six seat Dove Mk.2 executive transport. Orders began to arrive for the Dove, the Mk.2 proving very popular with a number of large companies. Its potential was soon noticed by the military and the Royal Air Force placed an order for a military communications variant. In response, de Havilland developed the Dove Mk.4 with deliveries of the first of 30 to the RAF beginning in 1948. Essentially the same as the civil version, the Mk.4 was limited to seven seats due to the inclusion of a survival dinghy. One major difference between the military and civil variants was the name; Dove was hardly a suitable name for a military aircraft so the Mk.4 became the far more militarily acceptable Devon C.Mk.1. The Fleet Air Arm ordered a total of 13 aircraft as the Sea Devon C.Mk.20.

Quite right FD2 and the old bird was an RAF aircraft ab initio so was never known as a Dove so I should have said Devon.
We fly our guests in an ex-RAF 1946 de Havilland Devon, famously used by Air Chief Marshall Sir Basil Embry as his personal transport during his time as Commander Of Allied Forces, Central Europe. In 1985 the aircraft joined the Battle Of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) at RAF Coningsby, where the aircraft was used as a crew transport in support of the BBMF Lancaster, Spitfires and Hurricanes. The Devon and its non-military sister the de Havilland Dove were exceptionally successful, proving reliable and economical in service. They became one of the best selling British aircraft of the 1950’s. The Devon is a comfortable aircraft inside, with roomy seats and large panoramic windows. There are excellent photo opportunities for your very special Air Tour.

Aero Legends have been operating flight experiences from Headcorn Aerodrome since 2014. Its location in the heart of Kent allows passengers to travel through the same airspace in which the Battle of Britain was fought so furiously.

For our Fly With A Spitfire guests, soon after take-off you will be thrilled to see the Spitfire, Hurricane or other heritage aircraft draw alongside, and marvel at the clear views of the legendary fighters! Now you are flying in the very airspace where some of the most intense aerial battles were fought in ‘the long, hot summer of 1940’.

The sight takes your breath away. Imagine yourself as a young pilot at the time – what emotions he must have felt in the moments before he flung his machine into battle. From the comfort of the de Havilland Dove, the sight of our Spitfire drawing alongside takes you back to those days – it’s almost as if you are flying in The Battle of Britain!
http://goactionstations.co.uk/about/de-havilland-dove/

Caco

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#136 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:23 am

Cacophonix wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:03 am
FD2 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:32 am
the six seat Dove Mk.2 executive transport.
We knew it as a Dove back then. Probably the Mk 2 executive transport version. Used for flying occifers of air rank and close to mess dinners. Bawtry was just down the road, so that's where they probably came from.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#137 Post by FD2 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:39 am

I only looked it up because I had always thought the RAF version was called the Dove and the Navy wanted to be different... ;))) and then Devon was mentioned..

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#138 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:47 am

Sounds as though you're relaxing a bit and enjoying the challenges of rotary flight, Caco!
Cacophonix wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:31 pm

.....Handswinging a Tiger Moth....JPG
Isn't that blue Tiger Moth a Stampe? Rounded wing tips, ailerons on top and bottom wings plus on the Tiger the upper wing centre section/fuel tank is deeper.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#139 Post by Boac » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:00 am

..crikey the 'swinger' could even be Chris Jesson?

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#140 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:11 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:47 am
Sounds as though you're relaxing a bit and enjoying the challenges of rotary flight, Caco!
Cacophonix wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:31 pm

.....Handswinging a Tiger Moth....JPG
Isn't that blue Tiger Moth a Stampe? Rounded wing tips, ailerons on top and bottom wings plus on the Tiger the upper wing centre section/fuel tank is deeper.
I am C16. Smoother and more relaxed is now my mantra. ;)))

Yes the blue aircraft is a Stampe.. I clearly had a brain fade while I was annotating the photographs and should know that you canny chaps will have me in your sights for such egregious errors. o:-)

Caco