Caco's trial helicopter flight.....

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Caco's trial helicopter flight.....

#141 Post by Woody » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:24 am

Busy weekend at Headcorn with the BBMF

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#142 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:02 am

Boac wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:00 am
..crikey the 'swinger' could even be Chris Jesson?
Almost certainly was Boac as the Stampe display team, of which he is a member, were practising at the field and were in the air when I rotored back in mid afternoon.

Only 2 degrees of separation in aviation at any time.

On another point I had to laugh at the Spitfire pilot who called 1 mile north of the field as we waited to start engines and I could see him in the circuit less than a 1/4 of mile away, low and fast, having just failed to sneak in ahead of the parachutists. Perhaps the same Spitfire pilot who nearly turned me and him into a fine red mist, two years back, when he pulled out of a loop directly in my path (AIRPROX) over Essex over a VRP, him having not called Southend Radar to report what he was doing.

Caco

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#143 Post by Boac » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:39 am

A fine acquaintance of mine from DanAir and BA days.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#144 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:30 pm

Another day, another lesson. It is all coming together and then just as quickly the hovering at once proficient comes apart and leaves me like the curate's egg, good in parts but that just isn't bloody good enough.

Still it was an absolutely stunning evening on the coast and one couldn't come closer to heaven on earth than 5000 feet in sublime conditions over Norman's Bay as the sun started to set. I am a very happy chap.

Confounded sky divers.JPG
Confounded sky divers.JPG (21.62 KiB) Viewed 773 times
de Havilland DH. 82 Tiger Moth.JPG
de Havilland DH. 82 Tiger Moth.JPG (40 KiB) Viewed 773 times
PA-22 Colt.JPG
PA-22 Colt.JPG (60.52 KiB) Viewed 773 times
Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#145 Post by Cacophonix » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Another good man bites the dust... :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guimbal_Cabri_G2

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#146 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Well today I threw the rope in the air and finally managed to get it up (in a manner of speaking) and it stayed up long enough for me to think that I might finally be getting the hang of it all and climb up there by myself. As ever twas also just wonderful to be up there in the air. Take off, land, hover, take off land, hover... I am beginning to see light at the end of this tunnel!

Rope trick.JPG
Rope trick.JPG (31.92 KiB) Viewed 701 times
Refuelling at break of dawn....JPG
Refuelling at break of dawn....JPG (28.02 KiB) Viewed 701 times
Where it all happens... deserted save for Phil my instructor and me.JPG
Where it all happens... deserted save for Phil my instructor and me.JPG (49.51 KiB) Viewed 701 times

Caco

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#147 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:44 pm

Well done Caco! How many hours so far? With the inevitable longish periods between trips what is Phil looking at - maybe 10 hours to solo?

I can't seem to find a self fly R44 operator in Scotland - if there was one then I thought that maybe once you had your PPL you could PA28 across the border and then take a R44 to the C16 abode - a level 3 acre grass field awaits....... :-bd
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#148 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:08 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:44 pm
Well done Caco! How many hours so far? With the inevitable longish periods between trips what is Phil looking at - maybe 10 hours to solo?

I can't seem to find a self fly R44 operator in Scotland - if there was one then I thought that maybe once you had your PPL you could PA28 across the border and then take a R44 to the C16 abode - a level 3 acre grass field awaits....... :-bd

Yes, 10 hours is feasible (6 hours as of today) if I can keep my mojo going. I know there are guys that have got there in +- 6 but I am not bothered about that. I am happy to be flying, and making progress, so if it takes a little longer than that I won't be downcast. The owner of the school was chatting today to me about proper flying i.e. out of gardens, fields etc. etc. and implied that I might want to be doing that sometime, so it seems he hasn't heard that I am a total klutz or anything! =))

It was almost a month since I flew today, so in the spirit of continuity I am going to fly again next weekend. I don't know which will come first. The solo, the licence or bankruptcy! =))

I would really savour flying up to see you C16 and would be delighted to make the last sector a helicopter flight. You and I would fit well into the R44 so a flight down the coast together is definitely on the cards.

Caco

Slasher

#149 Post by Slasher » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:43 am

Well done Caco! :) 👍🏻

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#150 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:22 pm

Next lesson on Saturday. Actually a good week for flying as I am finally going to get to the France, Belgium Holland flight in on Wednesday (weather looking good) but the more I bumble around in the fixed wing tin can, the more I realise that my mind is thus wired and I need to flex those neurons rapidly to get with the helicopter particularly given the relatively long time between lessons...
Warning fly defensively.JPG
Warning fly defensively.JPG (43.62 KiB) Viewed 663 times

Caco

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#151 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Caco - as your article says "they must always be flown defensively" hence my signature on every post.

As Harry Reasoner said back in 1971: "The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces and controls working in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously. There is no such thing as a gliding helicopter. This is why being a helicopter pilot is so different from being an airplane pilot, and why in generality, airplane pilots are open, clear-eyed, buoyant extroverts and helicopter pilots are brooding introspective anticipators of trouble. They know if something bad has not happened it is about to."

I don't agree with his statement that there is no such thing as a gliding helicopter - autorotation is the equivalent of fixed wing gliding.....but I accept it doesn't last as long!

This cartoon is an oldie which I'm sure you've seen but it always bears repeating:
helop.jpg
helop.jpg (145.99 KiB) Viewed 653 times
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#152 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:26 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:07 pm
Caco - as your article says "they must always be flown defensively" hence my signature on every post.

As Harry Reasoner said back in 1971: "The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces and controls working in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously. There is no such thing as a gliding helicopter. This is why being a helicopter pilot is so different from being an airplane pilot, and why in generality, airplane pilots are open, clear-eyed, buoyant extroverts and helicopter pilots are brooding introspective anticipators of trouble. They know if something bad has not happened it is about to."

I don't agree with his statement that there is no such thing as a gliding helicopter - autorotation is the equivalent of fixed wing gliding.....but I accept it doesn't last as long!

This cartoon is an oldie which I'm sure you've seen but it always bears repeating:
helop.jpg
Reminds me of an acquaintance who owned his own helicopter; every month he would go flying with his instructor just to keep his skills up. He was fully licensed with over 200 hours, but didn't want to become complacent. Guess he appreciated C16 's mantra. :)

Thanks for reposting that cartoon :-bd
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#153 Post by G~Man » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:43 pm

Cue the helicopter cartoons: (Apologies if inappropriate).
ydt2Wki7VQxT57.jpg
ydt2Wki7VQxT57.jpg (33.74 KiB) Viewed 644 times
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#154 Post by Boac » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:18 pm

To which the Apache pilot replied - "is that a male in drag or a female?" =))

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#155 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:13 pm

fantasy.jpg
fantasy.jpg (56.56 KiB) Viewed 635 times

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#156 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:47 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:13 pm
fantasy.jpg
It is quite clear that heli pilots are a different breed and I trust that girls, well my better half anyway, is impressed by the idea but somehow I doubt it as her initial comment about the R44 was, oh it looks like a blue egg whisk... No knicker dropping at all. =))

Caco

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#157 Post by G~Man » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:37 pm

Caco--the only way to fly a Robinson: (This was lifting one that had a "hard landing" on a pinnacle--insurance company paid us to lift it off to a truck.
100_1438.jpg
100_1438.jpg (43.58 KiB) Viewed 623 times
But hey, a helicopter is a helicopter right?
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#158 Post by Cacophonix » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:56 am

G~Man wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:37 pm
Caco--the only way to fly a Robinson: (This was lifting one that had a "hard landing" on a pinnacle--insurance company paid us to lift it off to a truck.

100_1438.jpg

BUT hey, a helicopter is a helicopter right?
Indeed, to me the little Robinson is the best thing since sliced bread. :-bd

Caco

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#159 Post by John Hill » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:10 pm

Dont come to NZ if you want to fly a Robbie, I think our death rate is several times that of the USA for the same aircraft.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#160 Post by FD2 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:22 pm

There's a trial going on right at the moment:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/107499 ... al-resumes

and in general, if you're quick enough to drop the collective in time after the donk stops, you still have less suitable places for your engine-off landing amongst all the rugged countryside.

The R22 is a popular choice for people in remote areas but it's not an ideal beginners' machine....