Skids vs wheels

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Skids vs wheels

#1 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:16 pm

Could some one explain why skidded helicopters are fewer among the newer models. As a matter of fact I can't really remember a newly produced skid-equipped helicopter and as I think more it seems skids where mainly an American thing since I can't recall a Russian helicopter non-wheeled.

So why skids are out of fashion?

izod tester
Capt
Capt

Re: Skids vs wheels

#2 Post by izod tester » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Not a helicopter pilot, but as an engineer, moving the aircraft around is much easier if they have wheels. My experience is limited to Whirlwind, Wessex, Puma and Chinook - all wheeled. Perhaps some helicopters with skids also have small wheels for ground handling, but I have not noticed any.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:08 pm

I think there is a contraption for that but I don't know if it is made in the local base or is offered by the manufacturer.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:28 pm

Certainly wheels make ground handling easier. Early helicopters were power and efficiency limited and skids were lighter than wheels - that may be the reason most of today’s designs have wheels following the demise of heavy piston engines and with today’s more efficient rotor blades and lighter turbine engines. All skid equipped helos had clip-on ground handling wheels. When we got the Bell 214ST in 1982 it came with skids and at around 12000lbs empty weight was a pig to move on clip-on ground handling wheels. We fitted a wheeled fixed undercarriage as soon as it became available.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:31 pm

Don't skids have more drag? In a power limited helicopter drag can make a difference!

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:35 pm

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:31 pm
Don't skids have more drag? In a power limited helicopter drag can make a difference!
The point was made that skids were lighter (and simpler) than wheels - and retractable wheels require more weight and complexity.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:42 am

Thanks gentlemen for the answers.