Asbestos warning for Sea King helicopter engineers

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Asbestos warning for Sea King helicopter engineers

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:36 pm

The MOD is urgently removing parts containing asbestos from Sea King helicopters. It's only taken 49 years to realise the danger!! :-o Granted that asbestos wasn't banned in the building industry until 1999 but even so, they have had 20 years to realise the problem since then.

BBC News: Sea King asbestos warning
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Asbestos warning for Sea King helicopter engineers

#2 Post by FD2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:10 pm

This is almost unbelievable isn't it? After all the years of the Health and Safety culture they decide that the asbestos is a problem. Any idea if it's white or the more dangerous sort C16 or what parts it's in?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:11 pm

No, I don’t know any more than what is in that article. I think back to the mid 60’s and my upper bunk in a four berth cabin (2X36) on Ark. There were asbestos clad pipes about three feet above the bunk but as they were painted and remained undisturbed I don’t suppose there’s an issue. No doubt cabins on Antrim were similar?

EDIT: Ha! Just popped over to TOP to see if they were saying anything there about this. The first post is about a relative in the RAN who died of asbestosis from lagged pipes above his bunk....😱
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by FD2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:32 pm

I served in 6 or 7 ships where I had a cabin and all of them had air, steam or water trunking all over the place. I’m sure it’s changed now and safe as houses... :( ;)))