Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: King Power Stadium Helicopter Crash

#81 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:57 pm
I understand that.

What I was wondering is whether the client's administrators who handled the contractual side of the aircraft's ops thought they were hiring two helicopter pilots, not one.
I doubt it. To present oneself as a commercial helicopter pilot when one is not, despite being a commercial fixed wing pilot, would be fraudulent in such a contractual situation would it not? Moreover the young lady had a high aviation profile <see link>> and was also well known to be the pilot's girlfriend. I am sure everybody knew what the score was.

https://london.mfa.gov.pl/en/news/polka ... lechowicz/

Caco

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:55 pm
For C16 or FD2 - how would the AAIB know about an 'attempted' left turn? Was there an FDR on the machine?
Late on parade as usual and the others have correctly answered the query. :-bd
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by CharlieOneSix » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:30 pm

Re the helicopter being a certified single pilot machine and the owner possibly requiring a second pilot on board, back in the early 80's I know of one operator of a certified single pilot North Sea helicopter type who was required by the client to provide two type qualified pilots on board. On an odd occasion when a second pilot was not available a type engineer was dressed up in a pilot's survival suit to play the part. Legally okay as far as the CAA would be concerned; contractually very risky.

No names, no pack drill. Not saying it was right, but it did happen.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by Boac » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:00 pm

No, Caco, not setting a trap for you. Yes I read the interim report and I cannot deduce from that that the pilot attempted to turn the machine to the left, and the Sun video does not show any yaw to the left (as far as I can see) before a rapid yaw right, which appears to follow a very small right turn. At that point I propose the pilot would have been rapidly applying significant left pedal! Hence the query on the FDR which I guess all assume shows a left pedal before the failure? I had surmised the tail rotor ran fully 'right' at the point he yawed right. However, the AAIB will know. As they say "The cause of the apparent loss of yaw control has yet to be determined."

Regarding the 'second pilot', I recall my days flogging round Scotland in an 'Air Taxi' with Loganair flogging around with their 'second crew member' - the 'Radio Operator' in the right seat - often a PPL trainee or similar!

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#85 Post by Cacophonix » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:00 pm
No, Caco, not setting a trap for you. Yes I read the interim report and I cannot deduce from that that the pilot attempted to turn the machine to the left, and the Sun video does not show any yaw to the left (as far as I can see) before a rapid yaw right, which appears to follow a very small right turn. At that point I propose the pilot would have been rapidly applying significant left pedal! Hence the query on the FDR which I guess all assume shows a left pedal before the failure? I had surmised the tail rotor ran fully 'right' at the point he yawed right. However, the AAIB will know. As they say "The cause of the apparent loss of yaw control has yet to be determined."

You know I was just joshing you and your point is well made. ;)))

Caco

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#86 Post by Woody » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:22 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

603DX
Capt
Capt

#87 Post by 603DX » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:34 pm

The BBC news report gives brief extracts of today's further AAIB Special Bulletin S2/2018 published 6 December 2018.

The actual document is downloadable from https://www.gov.uk/government/news/upda ... ent-g-vskp

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#88 Post by FD2 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:42 am

Thanks for that 603DX - what a nightmare. Full right yaw input and nothing he could do about it.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:44 am

If the the bellcrank was able to move beyond the pitch stops is it possible that hydraulic servo could have turned the tail rotor at 90 degrees to the airflow in its plane of rotation thereby causing enormous stress on the rotor and mechanism that might have caused catastrophic failure of the rotor itself?

Caco

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#90 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:04 am

As you say, FD2, what a nightmare. Even if it had happened in the cruise he would have been unlikely to get away with it. Airflow over the fuselage would assist in possibly restricting the effect of the yaw but as soon as you slow down.....

Caco - I can't answer that one but I suppose when you get an emergency like this which nobody foresaw then anything is possible.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by Woody » Fri Oct 28, 2022 4:23 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#92 Post by OneHungLow » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:42 pm

The observer of fools in military south and north...

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#93 Post by OneHungLow » Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:23 am

The observer of fools in military south and north...

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#94 Post by FD2 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:14 am

There are some problems which it’s just not possible to recover from. This was one of them.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#95 Post by tango15 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:19 am

What an excellently produced video. Even I could understand that. I echo FD2's comments. Sometimes it's just not your day. Such a tragic accident.