AAIB report - AW189 spatial disorientation during night rescue on Scottish mountain

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

AAIB report - AW189 spatial disorientation during night rescue on Scottish mountain

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:33 pm

AAIB Report here

Having abandoned three attempts to rescue 3 climbers due to low cloud on the mountain, during the fourth attempt from a different direction the Pilot Flying (PF) became temporarily spatially disorientated in cloud at night on Beinn Narnain, Scotland.

Having got into a dreadful situation during a night rescue in the mountains and with all the modern instrument and autopilot fit on the helicopter it was basic IF flying skills which saved the day.

Report conclusion (extract):
The situation was being resolved, by the PF using his basic IF skills and with the assistance of the Pilot Monitoring (PM) announcing that they were above the high ground, when the helicopter regained VMC on top of the cloud.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: AAIB report - AW189 spatial disorientation during night rescue on Scottish mountain

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:06 pm

Very interesting, thanks for posting. I've bimbled around the Loch Lomond hills, stayed at Inverbeg IIRC. There's a nasty little bowl there which it looks like they were never going to get into with that weather, but they obviously have to try every approach.
And I've been seriously disoriented below safety altitude IMC in the Scottish mountains ..who hasn't?
I note on page 4
They had previously inhibited the Terrain Alerting and Warning System (TAWS) to prevent nuisance warnings when operating close to terrain, but this had also removed the terrain display from the PFD.
I particularly dislike manufacturers who work on the "If you don't want my warnings, I'm not showing you my information" approach. My F150 truck does it too. When the low fuel warning goes on, it stops you seeing the fuel range data, just when you bloody need it!
What's your opinion on the autopilot modes? There doesn't seem to be one for what they need to do.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: AAIB report - AW189 spatial disorientation during night rescue on Scottish mountain

#3 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:04 am

I’m afraid that the last time I flew a helicopter was 20 years ago and it was an almost steam driven Bell 214ST designed in around 1980. We had a basic stabilisation mode plus a 3 axis autopilot rather than today’s 4 axis, ie with coupled collective. We had coupled HDG, NAV, IAS, VS and ILS - but that was about it. So I can’t really comment with any authority on today's glass cockpits and sophisticated SAR autopilots.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org