Huey Down on AZ Fire

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Huey Down on AZ Fire

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:01 am

Huey Down on AZ Fire

G-Man: Any back channel info on this one?

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/fire- ... lot-killed

Fire officials: Helicopter crashed while fighting Polles Fire; pilot killed
By FOX 10 StaffPublished 3 hours agoUpdated 1 hour agoWildfiresFOX 10 Phoenix

PHOENIX - The Chief of the Pine-Strawberry Fire District has confirmed that the pilot onboard a helicopter that crashed while battling the Polles Fire is dead.

Via a statement released by a Pine-Strawberry Fire District spokesperson, Chief Gary Morris said the helicopter crashed outside the fire lines for the Polles Fire. The helicopter was on fire, and other air attack resources were brought in to extinguish the blaze.

The pilot's family, according to Chief Morris, has arrived in the Payson area, and authorities are working to retrieve the man's body.

In the statement, Chief Morris said the helicopter pilot came from a family of firefighters, and his father is retired from a Valley fire department. The man was not, however, from that part of the state.

According to earlier statements by FAA officials, the Bell UH-1H helicopter crashed 10 miles west of Payson, under unknown circumstances. The helicopter was not carrying any passengers at the time.

"The FAA and NTSB will investigate, and the NTSB will determine the probable cause of the accident," read a portion of the statement.

At around 1:00 p.m. Tuesday, forest officials announced, via a tweet on their verified Twitter page, that they are working to get more complete information on what happened.

As of Tuesday, the Polles Fire has burned 580 acres of land, and the fire is 0% contained. The fire began about 11 miles west of Payson, and was caused by lightning on July 3, according to fire officials. Fire crews are reportedly being challenged by hot and dry conditions in the area.

PP

G~Man
Capt
Capt

Re: Huey Down on AZ Fire

#2 Post by G~Man » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:01 am

Unfortunately I know nothing more than was given in the press conference at this point.

It was a restricted Huey, operated by Air West Helicopters. The pilot, Brian, BJ, Boatman died in the accident. He was moving "resources from one part of the fire to another, which I would assume is a cargo mission on a ling line. The rash site is outside of the fire line. "His body has been recovered. He is reportedly from a fire family, as most of us are either fire or aviation. He leaves behind a wife and young child.

The footage is pretty devastating, and clearly there will be lots of speculation in the next few days. More to follow as I find out.
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:17 am

Local news said he was supplying a hot shot crew that was going to sleep out.
That was the only new item.

PP

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by G~Man » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:40 pm

From what I gather, there are 4 crews "spiking out", which basically means you live on the fire line till it is done---it saves having to bring them back each night. It is a common practice, but does require a lot of logistical support if the area is only accessible by helicopter.

A crew is typically 20 people, they will need everything brought to them: water, food, (although they normally can last 48 hours without any support), toiletries, garbage hauled out, chain saw gas, oil, etc......
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:52 pm

One report I saw (don't remember where) said it was on fire before it went down.
Nothing much left resembling a helicopter.

PP

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by G~Man » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:12 pm

There were reports of it on fire on the ground, however the footage does not support that.

Pure observations & speculation on my part: The footage is spread out as though it was an in-flight break up, there was no evidence of fire, and in all the close up shots of the wreckage I did not see any blades, either main or TR.