Electricity pole fell 200ft from helicopter - AAIB Bulletin

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Electricity pole fell 200ft from helicopter - AAIB Bulletin

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:42 pm

AAIB Bulletin 07-20

A similar incident happened to me many years ago when I was building a new 11kv power line on the side of Porlock Hill near Minehead. However in my case the release was deliberate as I ran out of power and ideas short of the hole into which the pole had to be dropped.

When I left that job my boss presented me with a photo taken that day ......
YX Porlock.jpg
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Electricity pole fell 200ft from helicopter -AAIB Bulletin

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:27 pm

I am surprised that the pole 'broke' - whether wooden or metal.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Electricity pole fell 200ft from helicopter -AAIB Bulletin

#3 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:39 pm

The one I dropped hit a rock end on and split over much of its length. I did have an external load inadvertently fall off when the following year a 3000lb load of concrete disappeared from beneath my Bell 212 into the Irish Sea. We were in the cruise whilst helping to build the Tuskar Rock lighthouse helipad.

Edit: just scanned the press cutting from my logbook.....the cable didn't snap, the hook malfunctioned
tuskar1.jpg
tuskar1.jpg (64.36 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Another incident with the Bell 212, funny at the time for a few seconds but it could have been disastrous. We were in the Wicklow Mountains near Dublin, this time putting in loads of concrete into each of the four corners of tower bases for a new metal electricity line. We hovered over the footings at one corner and one of the Irish labourers reached over to pull the cord of the bucket release mechanism to release the concrete. Unfortunately as he pulled the release he fell into the hole along with the readymix. They had a hell of a job getting him out.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Electricity pole fell 200ft from helicopter - AAIB Bulletin

#4 Post by Boac » Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:19 pm

Unfortunately as he pulled the release he fell into the hole along with the readymix. They had a hell of a job getting him out.
Dat's de Oirish Mafia, to be sure.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by G~Man » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:13 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:42 pm
A similar incident happened to me many years ago when I was building a new 11kv power line on the side of Porlock Hill near Minehead. However in my case the release was deliberate as I ran out of power and ideas short of the hole into which the pole had to be dropped.
How do you see with such a short line? We typically use a 60 ft line for pole sets....and occasionally 200 ft depending upon surrounding terrain.
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:45 am

G~Man wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:13 am
....How do you see with such a short line? We typically use a 60 ft line for pole sets....and occasionally 200 ft depending upon surrounding terrain.
I suppose the short answer is I couldn't see! That particular job was in 1970 so 50 years ago I'm not sure we had heard of longlining in the UK. On that job I depended on an excellent ex-RN marshaller giving hand signals and a couple of guys manhandling the pole into a split funnel in the hole.

In our Electricity Board Helicopter Unit we rarely did any lifting work - that one was because it was on the side of a fairly steep hill. In the civil world we were only just coming out of the era of small piston engine helicopters such as the Bell 47, Hiller 12 and Brantly so lifting anything heavier than the skin off a rice pudding was not the norm. We had only had that Jetranger about 18 months - it was the 6th in the UK - and was an A model with an Allison C18 engine so although a step up from the Bell 47 it still wasn't quite there in power and reliability. In those days we called the C18 the "Allison hand grenade" - a reference to it propensity for failure.

Photo below - March 1970 - when there was disruption in Kent due to snow and many power lines were down and roads were blocked. I was still using a short line! This time taking drums of replacement 11kv line to cut off areas.
kent3-70.jpg
kent3-70.jpg (56.33 KiB) Viewed 520 times

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by G~Man » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:46 pm

Oh how things have changed....
Snapseed (1).jpg
Snapseed (6).jpg
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:25 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:42 pm

When I left that job my boss presented me with a photo taken that day ......
Your rather famous boss appears to have been a good gaffer as well and clearly approved of you and your modus operandi C16... :)

Sox Hosegood
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:26 pm

G~Man wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:46 pm
Oh how things have changed....
Bugger me... well not literally but, hell, I tip my hat to you folks who can fly like that.... ^:)^
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:30 pm

Talking of helis, I was noticing that this gentlemen flies in sandals...

I was told today to dance, not stomp...

Lord why didn't you point me in the heli (not necessarily Hellenic) way in my youth?

It is not too late... :-bd
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."