Passing Traffic

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Passing Traffic

#1 Post by llondel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:45 am

Managed to capture a few passes of this Chinook on fire duty today. I also seem to have accidentally trained the dogs to rush out of the house when they hear it approaching because I did it the first few times to try to get pictures, then they reacted to a later flight without me going first.
DSC_1694.JPG
DSC_1695.JPG

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Passing Traffic

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:59 am

If you really cared about them, you would teach them to respond to the sound of round engines, too.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by llondel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:37 am

They don't tend to fly low over the house here, we're not normally on the flight path to anywhere good for anything that might be flying low. Commercial stuff out of SJC does go over but that's up at 10,00ft by the time it goes over us. I do remember once when living near Cambridge, hearing a noise, knowing what it was without ever hearing it before and rushing outdoors to see the BBMF Lancaster flying home from Duxford. First time I'd ever heard four Merlins in close formation and yet my brain knew what it was.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:55 am

The only round motors I tend to get now days are the Stearmans doing flyovers for funerals at the National Memorial Cemetery to the north of me.
The CAF B-17 Sentimental Journey based at Falcon Field is sometimes seen / heard.
The Collings Foundation B-24 and B-17 were regular visitors to Deer Valley (DVT) as well as FIFI (the CAF's B-29). The only other flying B-29 (DOC) also made an appearance there.
I fear that their appearances will be fewer and fewer in the future. :((

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by llondel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:02 am

The direction the Chinook was flying, it's come over the hill behind us, which is 2,000ft+ and is descending to the valley floor, probably <100ft ASL to land at the local airport . We never saw it go the other way, I assume they were taking a more scenic route that didn't require a steep climb up the hill when loaded, but then took the direct route back from the fire to the airport.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:18 am

llondel wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:45 am
Managed to capture a few passes of this Chinook on fire duty today. I also seem to have accidentally trained the dogs to rush out of the house when they hear it approaching because I did it the first few times to try to get pictures, then they reacted to a later flight without me going first.
I still behave just like your dogs whenever I hear, or rather feel the infrasound, and then hear the "whup", "whup" of a Chinook's rotors. My better half just looks in the direction of my startled hare exit and rolls her eyes and shakes her head. Often seen around these parts.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:29 am

I am that way with round motors, but the new double pane windows mean they are gone by the time I recognize the sound.
:((

PP

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:46 am

A Chinook in a state of arousal - don't often see that!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:29 am

I have just gained some piscine knowledge thanks to PP.

Chinook
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."