Just Having Fun on the PD's Dime

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Just Having Fun on the PD's Dime

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:16 am

Columbus, Ohio police department investigating after helicopter pilot is accused of 'joyriding'

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/

COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Columbus, Ohio, police department is investigating after complaints about its helicopter pilot's use of flight time. A tracking website shows that the pilot spelled out "CPD" during a recent midnight flight over the city.
https://images.foxtv.com/static.fox10ph ... ?ve=1&tl=1
"We were told over and over again how essential every second of airtime was," said Columbus City Council Member Rob Dorans. "This joyride was just plain dumb and a waste of taxpayer dollars."

In a statement, Columbus Police said that "leadership became aware of negative online comments about a helicopter patrol flight conducted early this morning. Commander Robert Sagle, who oversees the Aviation Section, is reviewing the flight pattern and details of the flight."

Police said that the pilot took off for a regularly scheduled flight around midnight, and "navigated throughout the city during the flight and responded on several high priority runs, including a stabbing and an assault in progress. During time between dispatched runs the pilot flew a pattern which spelled out "CPD" when later viewed on a flight tracking application. This took less than ten minutes and was conducted at normal police altitude."

Police said that "no calls for service were missed during this time and no additional fuel was utilized, but even the appearance that officers were not operating within the mission of the Aviation Section is not acceptable."

"I’m beyond frustrated," said Columbus City Council Member Elizabeth Brown on Twitter. "Last summer I proposed decreasing our helicopter fleet by one — to save dollars and reinvest in community-based safety strategies. But I was told how essential our current size is, and my measure failed. Let’s be clear: a joyride is is NOT essential work."

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Just Having Fun on the PD's Dime

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:39 am

OTOH, having a patrol aloft and alert is probably better than being on the ground in the depot.

We have the fire department cruising the streets (not always) which means they are visible and reassuring.

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by unifoxos » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:48 am

Fair enough, but does it take extra fuel to perform those manoevers rather than, say a straight-line grid pattern, or just a hover over the centre of the target area, and how much attention does it take away from any scanning of the surface activity that was intended for the mission?
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:36 am

I thought hovering takes a lot of fuel and the pilot isn't responsible for scanning of the surface.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:54 am

It's not as if he was drawing a penis.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:56 am

If he is an American policeman, having drawn it he may kill someone with it. :))

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by G-CPTN » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:01 am

Are PD pilots 'police' or civilians?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:33 pm

Here, I believe that they are sworn officers.
Don't know the selection/training process.
I see them too often over an area near my abode and am more aware of them since I have begun using Flightradar 24 to see who is in the air around me.

PP

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:02 pm

Maybe he had just watched Blue Thunder .

There was a case in Yorkshire where the police observer was using the optics for his own pleasure and the pilot was unaware.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by llondel » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:11 pm

unifoxos wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:48 am
Fair enough, but does it take extra fuel to perform those manoevers rather than, say a straight-line grid pattern, or just a hover over the centre of the target area, and how much attention does it take away from any scanning of the surface activity that was intended for the mission?
Hovering also pisses off those nearby, especially at night. The local ghetto bird flies circles around its target point when it's actually on a job.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:04 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:16 am

"I’m beyond frustrated," said Columbus City Council Member Elizabeth Brown on Twitter. "Last summer I proposed decreasing our helicopter fleet by one — to save dollars and reinvest in community-based safety strategies. But I was told how essential our current size is, and my measure failed. Let’s be clear: a joyride is is NOT essential work."

PP
She should be pleased that he didn't trace out a penis or something to demonstrate what he thinks about size and measure, and what might needed for her frustration...!

Clearly, given the stabbings and murders etc. they clearly need the helicopter fleet. Tell the aerial artist that his work is Jackson bollocks, and not to do it again and leave it at that already! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

unifoxos
Capt
Capt

#12 Post by unifoxos » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:22 pm

Hovering also pisses off those nearby, especially at night.

OK, point taken. I guess circles are OK, but the acceleration and deceleration involved in drawing a pattern would be considerable, I would have thought

I'm surprised they don't make more use of drones nowadays, must be incredibly cheaper to run compare with full-sized aircraft.
Sent from my tatty old Windoze PC.