Osprey destroys helipad at Cambridge

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Osprey destroys helipad at Cambridge

#1 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:12 am

Not sure if this should go under fixed wing, rotary or military.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lipad.html

I know very little about rotary operations but surely a helipad has a weight limitation like a runway. The downdraft from this thing is going to be considerably more than an aeromed chopper. Also can't see why the pad can not be used for a time there is plenty of space to land. Interesting to see he has full flap down for landing and take off. Any ideas?
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Osprey destroys helipad at Cambridge

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:20 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:12 am
Not sure if this should go under fixed wing, rotary or military.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... lipad.html

I know very little about rotary operations but surely a helipad has a weight limitation like a runway. The downdraft from this thing is going to be considerably more than an aeromed chopper. Also can't see why the pad can not be used for a time there is plenty of space to land. Interesting to see he has full flap down for landing and take off. Any ideas?
Trending under Oops in the rotary section.

https://www.ops-normal.org/viewtopic.ph ... 09#p288009
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:44 am

Thanks GG. Didn't realise it was listed under another incident.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:20 pm

I think the flaps are for extra lift when transitioning from rotor lift to wing lift.
I'll let you know when I go through transition training when I get one surplus. :))

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Boac » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:26 pm

I would guess the flaps perform the same function as on the Harrier - they reduce the surface area subject to downwash - induced for the Harrier and direct for the Osprey.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:33 pm

God point BOAC.

PP

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:25 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:12 am
....... Also can't see why the pad can not be used for a time there is plenty of space to land......
I suspect Elf and Safety say you can't build the replacement pad and have helicopters operating there at the same time. There certainly looks plenty of room though. Maybe this time they'll do it properly and build a concrete/tarmac pad.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Boac » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:00 pm

PP wrote:God point BOAC.
I say, steady on.... =))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:09 pm

Not one of you had a real missile fired at you...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by FD2 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:27 am

I just had a quick look - the USAF V22 Osprey MAUW is 60,500 lbs (self-deployment?). That's similar to the CH53E Sea Stallion - lots of downwash!

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:02 am

Does it make a difference since the V22 has two rotors at the end of the wings instead of a big one?

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by FD2 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:15 am

If both rotor systems have to support the same weight of aircraft in the hover then the smaller swept area of the V22's blades would have to work proportionately harder than the larger swept area of the CH53's main rotor blades. The V22's are really more like propellers than a helicopter's rotor blades. Both systems would have to push down the same volume of air per second, so I reckon the speed of the V22's combined downdrafts would be proportionately higher and be more likely to dislodge the landing pad covers. Here's a Merlin's downdraft at work:

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:39 pm

Hell of a shock if you were taking a crap when that happened! FD2 may remember when a BCAL S61 blew over a parked Cessna at ABZ.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Boac » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:09 pm

Hell of a shock if you were taking a crap when that happened
I am a firm believer in the Captain being on the flight deck when operating. :))

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by FD2 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:29 pm

I blew the khazi tent over once with a Sea King, at a campsite half way up Goat Fell, Arran. Not sure what function the young lady inside was performing at the time - it felt intrusive to stare at the mess of ropes, boards, thunderbox etc.

The Cessna must have been before or after my time in BCal C16.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:44 am

The stories of issues relating to the V22 propwash and engine heat plumes are legion...

https://fireaviation.com/2013/10/28/v-2 ... -aircraft/
the rotor wash or downdraft from an Osprey is extremely strong–far stronger than a conventional helicopter. Rotor wash from a helicopter can cause, and has caused, serious problems when the wind from the rotors spreads the fire in unexpected directions, sometimes doing more harm than good. Marines even worry that Osprey rotor wash may damage or destroy unrecorded archaeological sites in training areas.

According to a report from the Government Accountability Office, the rotor wash creates enough force to knock sailors and aircraft off a flight deck on a ship.

May CAUSE fires

The Osprey’s engines run extremely hot, so hot that the Navy is taking special precautions to prevent the engine exhaust from melting or buckling the aluminum decks of warships. A report from DARPA states:

The deployment of the MV-22 Osprey has resulted in ship flight deck buckling that has been attributed to the excessive heat impact from engine exhaust plumes… Navy studies have indicated that repeated deck buckling will likely cause deck failure before planned ship life.

DARPA has designed a “flight deck thermal management system” which would liquid-cool the deck from below or above while the aircraft are idling or launching. The military has put out a request for proposals for other permanent deck-cooling systems that could be retro-fitted or designed into new ships still on the drawing board.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#17 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:08 am

A Wessex of The Queen's Fight, was doing a recce of a proposed Royal destination in Henley-on-Thames. It was a large lawn at a private residence. The nav was desperately trying to spot it from the little information he had. They spotted a likely house and saw a guy waving at them. After they had landed and closed down the devastation was considerable. Pots full of ornamental trees and shrubs blown all over the place. They went and apologised to the chap and said that on the day the survivors would have to be removed. What day? he said. Wrong house. He said that he always waved at helicopters. They found the correct spot and returned. Then they thought of the possible press coverage. They chucked on No,1s raided The Queen's Flight souvenir cabinet and returned by car. The guy himself answered the door of this massive house. Turned out that he didn't give a stuff about his pots but was over the moon about the unscheduled landing. They gave he and his wife loads of crested gifts and out came the gin bottle. They were not very sober upon their return.