Flying the Huey

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Flying the Huey

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:36 am

I noticed that this month's edition of FlyPast magazine has an article on the iconic Huey.

HueyCockpit.JPG

I was thinking of booking a ride in the next fortnight in the Huey, that plies it way around the Cape Peninsular from the Waterfront heliport in Cape Town, but was underwhelmed by the cost which equates to almost two hours actually flying an R44.

https://flythehuey.co.za/product/huey-f ... -hout-bay/

Personally at £1,132 methinks the 9 passengers in Cape Town are, literally, being taken for a ride. Combine that price with lingering questions about the South African Hueys' provenance and maintenance given some of the historic bad press, which may now be totally unfair I admit, and I am apt to save my money and spend it here in the UK.
"the upliftment of a grounding order issued by the South African Civil Aviation Authority (the “CAA”) on 7 January 2004. The CAA is cited, at its own request, as the third respondent..."

"which was manufactured by Bell Aviation as a military aircraft during the Vietnam War. At some time after a lengthy military career, it was converted or reconstituted into a civilian aircraft. As such it was “non type” certificated by the CAA in 2002 for non-commercial use. It was certificated for commercial use during 2003. It has been using the helipad since December 2002."
Just for comparisons purposes here is the price that a UK outfit offers for similar flights in a Huey.

https://www.huey.co.uk/index.php
45 MINUTE HUEY EXPERIENCE FLIGHT
£650 per person (inc. VAT)
This flight experience is available from April to October and includes a minimum of 45 minutes airborne time in the Huey Helicopter. Each flight is limited to a maximum of 5 people. Access to our Hangar is included for you and up to three guests
I guess, as some in the USA might say, "go figure".

Has anybody who posts here actually flown the Huey?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

larsssnowpharter
Capt
Capt
Re: Flying the Huey

#2 Post by larsssnowpharter » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:49 pm

Not flown one but have been a pax in them quite often.
Most notably a GAF Huey flown by a crazy German major who was (apparently) well known for pushing the envelope. This was on a NATO exercise involving some precursor to the RRF. I was in the back with the Alpini .

Task was an assault on the beach of a river. Said mad major flew the Huey under a road bridge. There not being a great deal of clearance between the rotorhead and the bridge and there being no bridge height information displayed on the side of said bridge, he slowed to about 30 knts and went through the span with the skids in the water!

Not for me.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:59 pm

Had a flight in an Aussie one. One of us front left, 3 in the back. We went up and had a great view of the jungle and Bruce put us into a hover around 1,500 ft, then turned to the guy in the left seat and gave him control while he got his camera out for some pics. We looked on aghast.*

Bruce regained the controls before doing a jungle descent into a small clearing. At the bottom was very long grass beaten by the down by the downdraught. We looked around in awe at the bottom of this jungle clearing when appeared a little old man with a push bike and a big black box on the front.

He opened the box and pulled out

Some ice cream for sale.

We did not actually touch down though.
* We then told him that he had handed over control to our electronics officer!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:56 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:59 pm
Had a flight in an Aussie one. One of us front left, 3 in the back. We went up and had a great view of the jungle and Bruce put us into a hover around 1,500 ft, then turned to the guy in the left seat and gave him control while he got his camera out for some pics. We looked on aghast.*

Bruce regained the controls before doing a jungle descent into a small clearing. At the bottom was very long grass beaten by the down by the downdraught. We looked around in awe at the bottom of this jungle clearing when appeared a little old man with a push bike and a big black box on the front.

He opened the box and pulled out

Some ice cream for sale.

We did not actually touch down though.
* We then told him that he had handed over control to our electronics officer!
Now that is exactly why I might pay over £1000.00 for a flight! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:37 pm

Ours was free!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:51 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:37 pm
Ours was free!
I appreciate that, I was referring specifically to having a chance to fly the aircraft! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:18 am

I know that, just rubbing it in.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by G~Man » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:40 am

Come on over to California out side of fire season, I'm sure I can find an excuse to do a test flight of some sort in mine.....
Huey 1.jpg
Huey 3.jpg
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:57 am

G~Man wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:40 am
Come on over to California out side of fire season, I'm sure I can find an excuse to do a test flight of some sort in mine.....

Huey 1.jpg

Huey 3.jpg
You bet! :)

Your Huey looks the business.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."