Back in the air...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Back in the air...

#1 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:43 pm

Flew for the first time in a month and a half, and flew creditably, including managing to align skids properly with inner paint marks on the pad when landing. Am lined up for my first flight to an ATZ and an airfield with a tower (instructor on board on first flight). Been advised that letting go of the collective (even for a second) to scratch my itchy nose will not go down well with senior lady, CAA examiner, at Polar. Working on upping my game again. ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Back in the air...

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:55 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:43 pm
Flew for the first time in a month and a half, and flew creditably, including managing to align skids properly with inner paint marks on the pad when landing. Am lined up for my first flight to an ATZ and an airfield with a tower (instructor on board on first flight). Been advised that letting go of the collective (even for a second) to scratch my itchy nose will not go down well with senior lady, CAA examiner, at Polar. Working on upping my game again. ;)))
Given that it is rumoured in an R22 (I fly an R44) you have 2 seconds to respond to a total failure leading to loss of RRPM, I guess the Polar lady has a point!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#3 Post by G~Man » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:07 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:55 pm
Given that it is rumoured in an R22 (I fly an R44) you have 2 seconds to respond to a total failure leading to loss of RRPM, I guess the Polar lady has a point!
I believe you have 0.9 of a second in an R-22 depending upon flight regime and pitch setting.

It is not a big deal though, most engines do not just suddenly quit, there will be a decrease in power but rarely catastrophic. Unless doing precision long line, I take hand off the collective all the time---how else are you supposed to change radios and sett GPS etc....?
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:30 am

I recall when doing my 10 hours in a Whirlwind at RAF Shawbury that if you took your hand off the cyclic the stick would topple as it felt fit taking the hecolipeter with it =))

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:57 am

I guess there were variations depending on the balance of the cyclic control 'stick'.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#6 Post by G~Man » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:59 pm

I agree....do not take your hand off the cyclic, but he is talking about the collative. Having said that, most helicopters outside of thee R-22 one can let goo of the cyclic. Even thee Huey has a magnetic lock on it......
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by FD2 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:13 pm

Boac wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:30 am
I recall when doing my 10 hours in a Whirlwind at RAF Shawbury that if you took your hand off the cyclic the stick would topple as it felt fit taking the hecolipeter with it =))
Yes the Whirlwind - Mk7 I trained on and guessing it was the Mk10 you flew at Shawbury - had no stick trim so it was right hand on the cyclic all the time. I think there may have been some form of friction on the collective to allow the left hand to be used for radios etc. Going straight from that to the Sea King was quite a leap!