Helicopter Collision in Souhern California

G~Man
Capt
Capt

Helicopter Collision in Souhern California

#1 Post by G~Man » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:12 am

A sky crane and a Bell 407 collided on a fire near Banning, California around 18:45 this evening. Not one of mine...I am fine, when details emerrge you will understand the cryptic nature of my post. One confirmed dead in the 407, which is rumored to have been doing Helco with 3 on board. The crane landed 3/4 mile away--no injuries.

IMG_7493 (1).jpg
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Helicopter Collision in Souhern California

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:50 pm

3 dead after helicopters collide while fighting fire in California
A CalFire division chief, fire captain and a contracted pilot were all killed when one of the helicopters crashed to the ground, CalFire Southern Region Chief David Fulcher said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/he ... -rcna98486

Three people were killed after two helicopters dispatched to help fight a fire in California collided on Sunday, sending one crashing to the ground.

Firefighters were responding to a blaze in the Southern California community of Cabazon when it was reported that the fire had extended into vegetation, requiring a "full wildland fire dispatch," including fixed-wing and rotary aircraft, CalFire Southern Region Chief David Fulcher said in a news conference.

Firefighters with both CalFire and the Riverside County Fire Department were involved in the response, he said.

While engaged in the firefight, two helicopters responding to the incident collided, Fulcher said.

The first helicopter was able to land safely nearby, but the second crashed, killing all three people onboard, he said. The three killed were identified only as a CalFire division chief, a CalFire captain and a contracted pilot.

Fulcher said the crash also caused an additional four-acre fire, which firefighters were able to extinguish.

"This was a tragic loss for the community, the fire service committee and Cal Fire Riverside County Fire Department," Fulcher said.

He said the cause of the collision was still under investigation, with the National Transportation Safety Board investigating the crash.

The office of California Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a post on X, the social media platform formally known as Twitter, that it was in "close coordination" with CalFire after the helicopter crash.

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Karearea » Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:25 pm

From Blancolirio:

Cal Fire 'HELCO' Mid Air Collision 6 Aug 2023 [8:10]

Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by G~Man » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:22 am

I do have some insight I can share, I have flown for Cal-Fire on contracts for over 15 years. I am infinitely familiar with the procedures used, the scenario at and and even that area. This was less then a mile and half from the tragedy of Engine 57 on the Esperanza Fire engine burn over and loss of life back in 2006, I was on a neighboring fire back then and spent a season at that helibase. I know the helicopter involved and gave the Chief Pilot of the company an FAA Part 135 flight check in the helicopter 2 years ago. The accident pilot attended one of my training sessions last year and I have also flown one of the Cal-Fire guys who died.

Let me preface this with "this is my opinion, based upon my knowledge of the above, and is pure rumor and speculation". I have stated before that rumor and speculation as long as is done respectfully is a way to learn....therefore I am fully in favor of it.

This was an "initial attack" response which was for a structure fire that spread into grass land. Typically the wind in that area is howling.....it is a funnel canyon between the LA basin and Palm Springs on the other side, there are hundreds of power windmills in the area, and I have flown through there many ties with 50+ kts of headwind.....(Look on Google Earth--you will see them).

Because of the recent history of big fires in Califorrnia, "initial attack" in certaain areas mean they launch everything they have at it, and cancel en-route if not needed. This fire never got more than 20 acres and yet tankers were dispatched along with the Sky Crane and a "Helco" platform, (the Bell 407). Both tthe Crane and the 407 left Hemet air attack base, (South of the fire), around the same time.... the crane went direct to the fire, (climbing over a spur ridge), whereas the 407 went around the ridge. The collision occured on the North side of the ridge. In talking to people who were there, it appears the 407 flew into the snorkel hanging from the crane and hit it with one blade which dis-integrated, then the rotor head came off. Something also hit one wheel of the crane--which landed safely albeit slightly hard, the 407 fell to the ground and caught fire.

The 407: Typically, a 407 is used as Helco, basically a "helicopter controller", he will normaally control the helicopter operations on a fire based upon the tactics and directions from "air attack" who is typically in an airplane 1,000' above and co-ordinates the tactics used, directing ground and aviation resources. If tankers come in, either the air attack will go low level and lead himm OR, once a fire gets established, they will call for a "lead plane" who leads and directs each tanker drop based on tactics ettc from the "air attack" platform. Once an "air attack" and "helco" get established on-scene, they will create "gates" for entry and exit fo aircraft, and set up altitudes etc for seperation. Bear in mind, they had not arrived at the fire yet---hence these had not even been set up. Not sure why there was two Cal-Fire guys on-board the helicopter unless one was a trainee, which can be typical, but normally we fly with just one person up front with us.

The 407 did a 360 orbit while en-route.... Pure speculation, but maybe he was talking to the crane but did not see him, so did a 360 to look, without realizing the crane went up and over the riged vs him going around?....... Then once he got around the ridge, turned direct towards the fire and into the crane. ADSB would not really help---he knew the craane was there so if he got warnings would have dismissed them as he already knew. I do not know why he was flyying so low....ADSB has less than 300' which is where the crane would be. Typicaally I fly Helco at 500'.

Either way, it is a sad accident, I can totally see how it happened, and to be honest, I am suprised it has not happened before, I have been in similar situations and had numerous near misses in the initial stage of a fire before procedures and gates are put in place.

365174212_673971078096933_116108.jpg
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:49 am

Gordy - thank you for those very logical suggestions on how this very sad tragedy probably happened. For those of us who have no experience of fire fighting helicopter operations it is very informative to hear about the detail of them from someone 'at the front'. We lost one of our helicopter pilots and four passengers in a midair collision with a fixed wing back in 1977, and as those named above will be - never forgotten, always remembered.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org