MoD admits flying nuclear materials between UK and US

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

MoD admits flying nuclear materials between UK and US

#1 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:22 pm

Who the heck is this Defence Secretary Penny Mordaunt Sub Lt (Reserve). What ever happened to all the MCs and the like who used to hold this post. One of 'Call me Dave's' floosies I guess.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... -uk-and-us

So who spilt the beans on this one then? :-w
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: MoD admits flying nuclear materials between UK and US

#2 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:46 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/mar/01/mod-admits-flying-nuclear-materials-between-uk-and-us

So who spilt the beans on this one then? :-w

Much ado about nothing and the beans were probably spilled by some tree-hugger.

Since the 1958 US-UK Mutual Defence Agreement, the United States and the United Kingdom have cooperated extensively on nuclear security matters. The "special relationship" between the two countries has involved the exchange of classified scientific data and materials such as plutonium.
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

MoreAviation

#3 Post by MoreAviation » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:44 pm

Politics aside there is no doubt that there are enhanced risks attendant in flying fissile materials, let alone nuclear weapons around in aircraft as the number of broken arrow events testify... Britain with its high population density is at a higher potential risk post such incidents as well...

The Palomares and Thule accidents being fairly indicative of the kind of problems that can arise in these cases...

http://www.brookings.edu/about/projects ... ons/box7-3

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by rgbrock1 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:09 pm

MoreAviation wrote:Politics aside there is no doubt that there are enhanced risks attendant in flying fissile materials, let alone nuclear weapons around in aircraft as the number of broken arrow events testify... Britain with its high population density is at a higher potential risk post such incidents as well...

The Palomares and Thule accidents being fairly indicative of the kind of problems that can arise in these cases...

http://www.brookings.edu/about/projects ... ons/box7-3

Keep those accidents in perspective, bro. There have been two such incidents between 1966 and 1968 and none since.
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by 500N » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:40 pm

And one was caused by re fueling as well.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:07 am

As the MOD has admitted it I am not breaking the Official Secrets Act only being reassuring in that it is extremely tight controlled. The aircraft has to be exactly at the right place at the right time. To this end I only tasked our Royal and VIP crews for these flights. They were used to such precision. Needless to say safety measures were excruciatingly strict. As was secrecy.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by 500N » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:17 am

What's the diff between the UK and the US and the UK and Germany when they withdrew all the squadrons ?

Much ado over nothing.

Sisemen

#8 Post by Sisemen » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:09 am

And for every such movement into my secret East Anglian RAF base I had to be airborne in a Sea King along with my Special Safety Team as soon as the aircraft entered our area of responsibility.