On board oxygen generators v bottles

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

On board oxygen generators v bottles

#1 Post by ian16th » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:46 pm

I've been following this story; starting from point of ignorance, what is the reason for using on board oxygen generators as opposed to the bottled stuff that was used in my time?
Cynicism improves with age

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: On board oxygen generators v bottles

#2 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:57 pm

ian16th wrote:I've been following this story; starting from point of ignorance, what is the reason for using on board oxygen generators as opposed to the bottled stuff that was used in my time?

I take it that you are an Aviation Week Space Technology subscriber ian16th (like me). I have been following this story with some interest as well. It seems that these problems have affected other aircraft types recently as well including the F-35. Feel bad for the young pilot in the F-22, it must be a bad situation to be hypoxic at altitude with very little useful consciousness time and unable to get emergency oxygen. I am amazed to see that pilot error was adduced as reason for that crash?

Caco

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:49 pm

“After months of using a modified mask and configuration that circumvented the OBOGS,

As stated here

Doesn't this mean on board bottles of the old fashioned type?

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Cacophonix » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:20 pm

ian16th wrote:
“After months of using a modified mask and configuration that circumvented the OBOGS,

As stated here

Doesn't this mean on board bottles of the old fashioned type?

If by the "old fashioned type" you mean a LOX bottle for emergency use then yes!

Caco

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ian16th » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:46 am

Caco
I'm referring to what the RAF used on a/c such as Canberra's and the V-Bombers.

As far as I know, it was oxygen in a compressed state, I don't think it was liquid. But then it was the job of the Instrument trades. We fairies only got called in as grunt labour, when need to help change the bottles on the gas bottle trolley's.

Brian W May
CPL
CPL

#6 Post by Brian W May » Fri May 11, 2018 9:14 pm

ian16th wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:46 am
Caco
I'm referring to what the RAF used on a/c such as Canberra's and the V-Bombers.

As far as I know, it was oxygen in a compressed state, I don't think it was liquid. But then it was the job of the Instrument trades. We fairies only got called in as grunt labour, when need to help change the bottles on the gas bottle trolley's.
No, you're right the oxygen was in bottles as compressed gas rather than liquid. Problem is the bottles were quite heavy as they had to withstand pressures of around 1500 psi. OBOGS was obviously a great weight saver and it's not limited by the bottle capacity.