Of interest to old Akrotiri hands

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Of interest to old Akrotiri hands

#1 Post by ian16th » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:25 am

Limassolgrad

Using Giggle Earth, I tried to find my old residences. Both the private house we rented and our Hiring seem to have disappeared.

The Hiring was a flat in a block of six, on The Bypass and seems to have been knocked down and built over.
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Of interest to old Akrotiri hands

#2 Post by Boac » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:54 am

Re those 'golden days', I recall years back after a detachment to Akkers I had purchased a LARGE flagon of Kokkers (having inexplicably developed somewhat of a taste for it) and stuck it on the shelf in my garage. Several years later, holding a 'garden party' for neighbours, I found it and mixed a punch with it.

Well - it was chaos. Everyone paralytic, folk dancing in the Varsity dinghy I had purloined as a paddling pool for my kids, hiding in the kids' tent in the garden with someone else's wife, quite disgusting. It had 'matured'! An epic 'do'.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:39 am

Boac wrote:I had purchased a LARGE flagon of Kokkers (having inexplicably developed somewhat of a taste for it)

Cypriot wines are definitly not up there with the best.

The one that stands out is the dessert wine, Commandaria St. John.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:46 am

Ah yes, but a good vintage Kokkers beats all.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by ian16th » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:16 pm

Vintage & Kokkers in the same sentence????????????

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Boac » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:00 pm

MIne was when I drugged the neighbours =))

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by om15 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:51 pm

Actually most of the booze in Cyprus was pretty rough stuff, any sort of wine gave tremendous hangovers and ditto with Keo beer, I used to drink Keo with a splash of 7 up, avoided the wine mostly, everyone I lived with out there seemed to drink gallons of local brandy.
I used to look forward to the regular work trips to Malta, the two beers were hop leaf and Chisk(?) and the red wine was called Marsovian (?), all of these drinks were much better than the Cypriot stuff.
I haven't been back to Limassol, but up until recently used to go to Larnaca a couple of times a year for work, I used this as an opportunity to check if the booze had improved, it hadn't but I did keep checking.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by ian16th » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:51 pm

I was only on Malta for a 6 week 'Sunspot' exercise, in 1959, but I do remember 3 beers!

Hop Leaf, a pale ale.
Cisk, a lager.
Blue Label, a brown ale.

I also couldn't drink Keo beer.
When we arrived on Cyprus, in September, my wife and I were in a hotel in Limassol, there were 2 other married guys.
We went to camp and back on a bus, and arrived back at the hotel dry and parched, so we natually migrated to the bar and had a few swift beers. We each bought a round so we only had the 3.
Next morning I had a headache, but thought that it couldn't be the Keo as I'd only had 3.
Next day the same, and the morning after a headache.

Moved to our private rental the next day and didn't have a bar available, so didn't drink any Keo.
No headache.

Anyway, after a little experimentation, I isolated Keo as the cause of my problem.
So for the rest of my tour I bought expensive canned UK beer from the NAAFI Shop.