Question for BOAC

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Question for BOAC

#1 Post by ian16th » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:38 am

Boac,

A question from a former USN Lt. who I communicate with.

Is it true that it was easier for left handed pilots to fly Harrier's, than 'normal' right handed persons?
Cynicism improves with age

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Question for BOAC

#2 Post by Boac » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:16 am

Don't know the answer, I'm afraid. I suspect not. I don't think I knew any (physically :)) ) sinister Bona Mates. The two levers on the left, nozzle angle and throttle, were fairly basic in function and operation. As a 'dextral' pilot I had no issues.

The more 'interesting' sinestral challenge would be the Lightning radar controller, operated left-handed in the single-seater and the left-seat of the two sticker, with 23 functions(!), switched/levered/buttoned etc. Once one had 'aclimatised' to using it, and you then became an instructor on the aircraft, you flew right-seat and tried to operate all 23 with the right hand..... Other 'challenges' were formation when an instinctive pull-back with the left hand (closing too fast?) resulted in back-pressure on the stick - which could be very exciting, and other scenarios you can imagine yourself. AAR therefore a challenge RHS, especially since the probe was on the left. I had slightly early grey hair.....

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:53 am

Not sure of the 'experience' of your USN mate, so perhaps I should elaborate on the Bona-jet.

Normally, operations of the throttle and nozzle lever were separate. Throttle normally parked at 'mucho noise' or 'not so mucho noise' and the nozzle lever then moved at pre-computed speeds for STO or to maintain AoA in the accel, and the throttle again increased from idle as required for AoA in the decel as the jet became more jet-borne (occasionally, though, mucho noise selected for an initial rapid decel with the use of the nozzle 'braking stop').

For pure 'vertical' work, once the decel was over and you were jet-borne, the nozzles would stay at the 'hover stop' and the go up/go down lever moved as required.The only really complicated bit was trying to do the display 'nod' and other 'fancies' when occasional tweaks of either were required in quick succession.

One little anecdote, flying in formation on an approach with 60 nozzle set for a pairs short landing: I am dropping back a bit - more power - oh that makes me go up!, so it has to be stick forward. Likewise if you are going high on the slot, 'instinctively' pushing forward on the stick moves you forwards...Second nature to a rotating palm-tree driver (if they ever flew that sort of manoeuvre), but............. :((

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ian16th » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:00 am

Boac,

Many thanks for a very complete answer.

My USN contact served as a deck officer in the Korean War, not an aviator.
Cynicism improves with age