Tornado crash memorial

Capetonian

Tornado crash memorial

#1 Post by Capetonian » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:12 pm

Tornado.jpg
Tornado.jpg (103.89 KiB) Viewed 398 times
I was out walking yesterday near Loch Lomond and came across this memorial to the two RAF Airmen who died in a Tornado crash in 2009.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Tornado crash memorial

#2 Post by Boac » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:46 am

Three seconds from commencement of manoeuvre to impact!

Et posteriores glorias: transiet celerrime mundi

Caco

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Cacophonix » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:52 am

Reading that crash report reminded me of the Mercurius disaster on Table Mountain and made me wonder why they never erected a crash memorial to the crew that perished there Capetonian?

http://flatnote.co.za/devils-peak-airplane-crash/

At least the Tornado crew received a fitting memorial.

Caco

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#5 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:46 am

Lost a good mate in a mid air in a Tornado in the 80s. Two same types flying in opposite directions around a low level route. They made it one way after that. A bit bloody late. The only thing they found of him was his head in the bone dome. Coffin was weighed down with sand bags. Felt sorry for the chaps carrying it. They could have just shoved his head in a shoe box. Wife wanted to see the body! I think that they showed her the whole of Yorkshire. Jolly attractive widow though.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Was that the Tornado v Jag collision?
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55345
If so, I met a groundcrew chap who'd been knobbled for the crash site investigation, who told me it was him who found the remains.
Low level round the hills was always a problem - pretty much everyone was very good at flying MSDs, so the height dimension for avoiding collisions was removed, and a turn around a spur could remove the other two, and severely restrict the time to visual acquisition. I nearly had a midair on TWU, where it was subsequently discovered that both pairs had randomly chosen the same target - first time it had ever happened apparently. Fortunately I saw and called the wingman of my potential collidee, my wingman then screamed "Pair!", and I dived under just in time.....and was able to then pull up before the ground got me instead as it happened just over a small valley. A target deconfliction board was introduced after that. The other pair saw nothing, probably as they were re-attacking after an initial miss and busy trying to sort out who was where.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:38 am

No Fox. Pretty sure it was two Tornados all four killed. See; https://www.catalina.org.uk/founding-members/ John Watts. Paul Warren-Wilson was also a mate on BFTS I think he is now with Cathay or probably retired.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:38 am

OK, got it.
http://www.ukserials.com/pdflosses/maas ... _za593.pdf
Sadly there were quite a few. Friend of mine had a head-on mid-air which very luckily just took his fin off

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:34 pm

That's the one Fox. Thank you haven't seen it before. Anyway Paul Warren-Wilson did such a low fly past in their Catalina at the funeral he nearly took the top of the church tower off.