MFTS - Another "success" story?

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: MFTS - Another "success" story?

#41 Post by boing » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:32 pm

I have lived through two major aviation hiring direction changes, one with the RAF and the other with a civilian airline. They both had difficulties for the same reason.

The military event was the transition from the cadet system to the graduate system at Cranwell (about 1976 ?). I instructed a student of 101 cadet entry which I believe was the final cadet course. I also instructed students on the early graduate entry courses.

The civilian event was the virtually judicially ordained hiring of large numbers of various minorities into US airlines.

The pattern between the two groups was surprisingly similar. The first new hires under the new systems were surprisingly good material but as soon as the good material had been exhausted it was found that it was impossible to maintain the required hiring rate without standards being rapidly lowered to maintain the required number of new-hires.

Many excellent pilots were taken on during these transition periods but also a lot of dross.
the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#42 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:35 pm

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:27 pm
both the clinical psychiatrists.
There is only one. You are imagining the other one.

Which one is the real one is the difficult problem.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#43 Post by barkingmad » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:54 pm

BFTS to be performed at RAF Valley?
Presume whomsoever decided on this location hasn't looked at the weather actuals for this 'field over the last few years.
Continuity for the studes will be cr*p and throughput will suffer.
Has the Air Commode who recommended the location ever heard of the Foehn effect? But then maybe he's never ever piloted an aircraft as is possible under the new diversity targets but has acquired the rank due to having attended Sleaford Tech College.
Or the plan is to start the operation there with great cost and puffing of employment in Viet-Taffland and then move it all to the closed but reopened at great expense Linton-on-Ouse or similar east of Pennines 'field.
What DO they teach them at staff college?? :ymtongue:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#44 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:06 pm

The Treasury is always right.
The professionals are allowed to determine the options list.
The Treasury then determines the budget and conditions which force the choice of the option they want.
If that option isn't on the first list, the professionals are sent away until they come back with an options list that does have it.
That was how the Tucano was bought in the first place. I know because I heard the guys flying the choices going on about it every night in the bar. They all wanted the PC-9, and I do mean all of them.
If the professionals refuse to put the Treasury's option on the list, the Treasury tells them to do a pilot program of their choice, which is then expanded to full scale without any serious review. The irony of doing this on a program for pilots would be lost on them.
So, Staff College teaches the students to do what the Treasury wants anyway straight off - it saves time.
It's not personal. The Treasury does this to all branches of Government. It's why all branches of Government are completely f#cked.