Libya

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Libya

#21 Post by Boac » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:34 am

It's what Productive Sex does for your pots, boring. =))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by Pontius Navigator » Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:01 am

boing wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:40 pm
I hope the use of Boring is a malapropism rather than sarcasm !!!

Rotflol, I think the fact was interesting the exercise was boring boing. 😀

I remember waking up one morning after copious quantities of sleeping draft. My bat man was carefully moving my loaded pistol in my bedside table to make room for my morning tea and biscuits.

Last time I saw him was in TV he was in Limasol stadium having been rounded up by the Greeks.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:30 pm

The ongoing war in Libya appeared as if it were heading towards a direct confrontation between regional powers Turkey and Egypt over control of the hometown of former leader Muammar Gaddafi.

Over the weekend, Egypt’s president Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, a backer of eastern Libyan warlord Khalifa Haftar, threatened to deploy troops to halt an advance by fighters loyal to the internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli on the coastal city of Sirte as well as a key airbase in the southern town of Jufrah.

“The preparedness to fight has become inevitable and necessary amid the prevailing instability and turmoil in our region,” Mr Sisi said in a speech to military officials.

The GNA, backed militarily by Turkey, called Mr Sisi’s threat a “declaration of war,” and refused to halt its offensive. “We reject this, condemn it and consider it an act of aggression, a blatant intervention, which amounts to a declaration of war,” the GNA said in a letter on Sunday.

The Arab League is scheduled to discuss the confrontation in Libya during an emergency session on Tuesday, but Tripoli is boycotting.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 79556.html
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:53 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:30 pm

“The preparedness to fight has become inevitable and necessary amid the prevailing instability and turmoil in our region,” Mr Sisi said in a speech to military officials.
=))

No wonder The Empire pushed General Sisi forward to overthrow the democratically elected government of Egypt in the summerless "Arab Spring" which led to the "Fall" (in both senses of that word) of Egypt's year that year.

FightForPeace;****.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:53 pm

FightForPeace;****.
=)) :ymdevil:

I hope you have TM'ed that phrase.
If not, consider it taken!

PP

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by boing » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:50 am

So the President of Turkey reminds his Generals that Turkey used to be a big wheel, Ottoman Empire and all that. isn't there some little country that we can invade to get some street cred back? The Generals went into deep thought, "Well, we have looked at Greece before and NATO really puts the stop on that one". Iran? No too big an army. Syria? sorry that's out too it would just put us between the US and Russia and Allah knows how many terrorist organizations. Not worth it. Israel would not like it much either.

One of the Generals had been in deep thought, eventually he said one word "Egypt". The other Generals laughed, Egypt, we would have to invade by sea on a very narrow coastline, land based airstrikes would be deadly. We would have to sail past Cyprus and Israel. Another General said "I know we ruled Egypt for a 1,000 years but we still have no excuse to attack it". The first General was not cowed. He said "What if we were invited to put troops on the South coast of the Mediterranean, for example in Libya, what if we were there to help our Muslim brothers? Egypt is supporting a revolutionary faction, we would be supporting the government so we have the moral ground. I am sure that for one reason or another we can claim that our troops were attacked by Egyptian troops and there can only be one answer to that. Of course the Russians may be upset but Russia is at the other end of the Bospuros and they would need airfields to have any influence.

Silence for a very short time then the head of the air force said "Brilliant, give me a couple of Libyan airfields and I can clear the skies". An Army General said "Let me mass troops on the border and give me air cover and we will walk to Cairo". The head of the Navy said "I can provide support from the sea. I can land forces behind any defensive line the Egyptians create".

So it was decided and the Middle East was never the same again.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by boing » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:33 pm

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.