Boris Force One

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Boris Force One

#21 Post by OFSO » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:26 pm

I've just been asked (no, not by someone with a name ending in -ski or -ov) what anti-SAM defences are fitted to the aircraft.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#22 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:59 am

OFSO wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:26 pm
I've just been asked (no, not by someone with a name ending in -ski or -ov) what anti-SAM defences are fitted to the aircraft.
Don't think that I would like the Tower of London. :-o

The information is almost certainly available on the Internet. Edit: Here you go OFSO: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_countermeasure

They painted our glorious shiny 10 a mucky grey when they started air to air refueling (not me) for camouflage purposes. They say that this VIP Voyager is dual purpose. It is going to stick out like a sore thumb in a combat zone. If I was a steely FJ jockey I would not go anywhere near it.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

How to screw up a military asset with a £900,000 paint job

#23 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:13 pm

Boris Johnson’s plan to repaint the prime minister’s VIP RAF plane red, white and blue risks turning the aircraft into a “brightly coloured lollipop” when it is used for the military purposes for which it was originally made, a former pilot has warned.

Ordered because the prime minister believes the Voyager’s camouflage grey colour is boring, the £900,000 makeover is expected to transform the outside of the aircraft, which is also used for mid-air refuelling.

Defence sources say it will have a white body with a blue stripe and a union jack-inspired design on the tail fin. Some designs circulating suggest it will have “United Kingdom” written in large gold letters along the side.

Andy Netherwood, a former military transport pilot and defence analyst, said that a “shiny red, white and blue livery means the RAF will be reluctant to use it outside the most benign airspace”, adding: “No one wants to go to war in a jet painted like a brightly coloured lollipop.”

In its military incarnation, the most likely foes the plane will encounter are Russian jets flying near UK airspace; insiders say the aircraft is used to refuel RAF Typhoons tracking planes ordered by Moscow to test Britain’s air defences.

In an emergency, the Voyager would be required to transport troops to war and provide support to combat operations in the Middle East or elsewhere.

When he was foreign secretary, Johnson said it was almost impossible to book the Voyager for ministerial use and complained: “Why does it have to be grey?” Pilots say the colour makes the plane hard to spot, and white planes are clearly visible because they reflect sunlight.

The RAF Voyager was commissioned as a military air transport and refuelling plane when it was acquired as part of a £10.5bn, 27-year Air Tanker private finance initiative (PFI) contract in 2008 – and was not intended for VIP use.
El Presidente Johnson
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#24 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:23 am

It would be interesting to know what the Royal/VIP fit is and how long it takes to change the role. With the VC10 it took a week, for HMQ two weeks I think. Then a standby also had to be prepared. It was quite a carry on. The aircraft commander had to keep checking on the progress and when satisfied do an inspection with the Station Commander. I always had a bust up with OC Eng as I wanted them to go to Halfords to get tyre paint. I usually won. On arrival, particularly at night, gleaming tyres under the TV lights looks very impressive.

Departures were usually from LHR. The standby aircraft at Brize had to me manned and check list complete as far as start for ETD LHR.

Both aircraft also had to be sanitized by the engineers and coppers. That meant taking off all accessible panels to check for bombs. Inside and out. That took a considerable time.

On The Queen's Flight it was much easier. All aircraft were permanently in a Royal fit and guarded 24 hrs a day wherever they were. Also all were serviceable or being worked on. No knock off at five, continue until fixed. Also not a single fault to be listed in the tech log.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#25 Post by izod tester » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:34 am

With the Comet 4s on 216 Sqn it usually took about 4 days to change from normal VIP fit to royal fit, provided the internal trim did not require replacing. Had to read the riot act to the Queens Flt policemen with regard to removing and replacing panels without an engineering tradesman there to supervise. They still didn't check the elevator gear change mechanism behind the rear pressure bulkhead, which I pointed out to them.

The Comets were frequently repainted. When XR399 had its last major we stripped it back to bare metal - there were 22 layers of paint on it. It was about 1000 lbs lighter after that.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#26 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:50 am

izod tester wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:34 am
With the Comet 4s on 216 Sqn it usually took about 4 days to change from normal VIP fit to royal fit, provided the internal trim did not require replacing. Had to read the riot act to the Queens Flt policemen with regard to removing and replacing panels without an engineering tradesman there to supervise. They still didn't check the elevator gear change mechanism behind the rear pressure bulkhead, which I pointed out to them.

The Comets were frequently repainted. When XR399 had its last major we stripped it back to bare metal - there were 22 layers of paint on it. It was about 1000 lbs lighter after that.
Coppers in my day wouldn't know the difference between a spanner and a screwdriver. Besides, who is more qualified to look behind a panel and know summat what shouldn't be there? Why involve a copper. Never met an intelligent military copper. Wonder what their training consist of?

We had WO copper on The Queen's Flight who was found to be making notes on our behaviour down route. He didn't last long.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#27 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:21 pm

That is absolutely dreadful: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... t-job.html. No I will go further, it is an disgrace to our country, 10 Sqn and the Royal Air Force.
Attachments
Cover up.jpg
Cover up.jpg (37.63 KiB) Viewed 658 times

Capetonian

#28 Post by Capetonian » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:24 pm

It looks like something that an African despot would fly around in while his people starve.

Edit : In the same way as the UK is the only country in the world that doesn't have its name on its postage stamps, the most that this aircraft should have is a discreet Union Flag, or a G- registration since a ZZ is probably not universally recognisable.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:36 pm

Ministers hope design - which is much more visible than the usual military grey - will help boost 'Brand Britain'
But critics have mocked project as expensive folly that will make Mr Johnson look like Austin Powers on tour

BoJo as Austin Powers...I can see it. :))
"Shagalicious, Baby" :YMPARTY: =))

PP

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#30 Post by izod tester » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:56 pm

Picture from the bbc website. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53183925

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#31 Post by k3k3 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:45 pm

The flag IS upside down.

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#32 Post by izod tester » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:21 pm

The convention is that the flag is flying from a flagpole at the leading edge of the fin. Thus the flag is actually the right way up.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:37 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53183925

Anyone with knowledge of the bulges between cockpit window and 1R and below and behind 4R?
Defensive system?

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:42 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:37 pm
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53183925

Anyone with knowledge of the bulges between cockpit window and 1R and below and behind 4R?
Defensive system?
Flare emitters? to distract missiles.

Cpt_Pugwash
Capt
Capt

#35 Post by Cpt_Pugwash » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:21 pm

Part of the Nemesis DIRCM system perhaps?

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#36 Post by k3k3 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:29 pm

izod tester wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:21 pm
The convention is that the flag is flying from a flagpole at the leading edge of the fin. Thus the flag is actually the right way up.
The penny dropped when I saw the other side on the TV.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:51 pm

Aircraft should be fitted with a Johnson polygraph to be fitted to his hideous body throughout the flight to catch any statements that makes that might in anyway be considered to be true or factual!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Woody » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:55 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#39 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:51 am

Woody wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:55 pm
It’s working :D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... spray.html
The boys didn't need radar to find that. Hope they were wearing their shades.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#40 Post by Boac » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:55 am

I bet the Bears were all keen to get selfies alongside it =))