Chief Pilot

Re: HMS Defender, Russia and all that stuff

#201 Post by ian16th » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:41 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:57 pm
FD2 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:36 am
Will look up Paddy Hind, PN.
ACM Sir Paddy, CinC STC during the Falklands. Laptop stolen from his car when it was at the second hand car show room. It was his staff car with driver and his PSO, a wg cdr carried the can. The laptop contained the invasion plans.

I don't know if it was recovered but the wg cdr carried the can and was later promoted to gp capt. My reference to Maj Martin was questioning whether it was a deliberate loss and disinformation.

Lord West similarly might have intended the premature release. Does the Defender leak have a subtle subtext?
"Laptop" in 1982?
Cynicism improves with age

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#202 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:27 pm

Brain fade, good spot. Read briefcase.

I know it was locked on the boot. I seem to recall the driver was taken along to advise.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#203 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:07 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:27 pm
Brain fade, good spot. Read briefcase.

I know it was locked on the boot. I seem to recall the driver was taken along to advise.
One of my fellow slackers at UCT had an Epson HX-20, the subject of much envy in my heart, back in 1981. He used to run and write basic programs to automate the calculation of repetitive mathematical calcs. No spreadsheets or word processers and God knows how many Rand it cost, but he stood out in the crowd. He used to print his programs off on long coil of till paper... :))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#204 Post by FD2 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:33 pm

Defence official who left top secret documents at bus stop ‘should be prosecuted’

Falklands commander ‘alarmed’ by Telegraph report that Pentagon sources were disturbed by failure to prosecute Angus Lapsley
By Danielle Sheridan, Political and Defence Correspondent 5 August 2021 • 9:00pm

The documents discussed the likely Russian reaction to HMS Defender's passage through Ukrainian waters Credit: Murad Sezer/Reuters

A senior defence official who left top secret documents at a bus stop should be prosecuted, a former Falklands commander has said.

Major General Julian Thompson, who led the Commando Brigade in the 1982 conflict, said that along with his contemporaries at Veterans for Britain, he had been "alarmed" to read The Telegraph's report that Pentagon sources were disturbed by the failure to prosecute Angus Lapsley, who misplaced the sensitive dossier.

The documents, some of which were marked "Secret: UK Eyes Only", discussed the likely Russian reaction to HMS Defender's passage through Ukrainian waters as part of the Carrier Strike Group's maiden operational voyage.

Earlier this week, The Telegraph revealed that while Mr Lapsley, director for defence, international security and south-east Europe at the Foreign Office from 2017 until 2019, had been stripped of his security clearance by the Ministry of Defence after the incident in June, he remained in post at the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO).

A government source said that while his clearance had been suspended, that "doesn't mean it won't be reinstated at a later date".

Senior sources within the US Department of Defense warned that the "lack of discipline" towards Mr Lapsley raised "serious questions about UK-US intelligence".

"The way it has been handled does not instil confidence," one said. "Why was he even taking such documents out of the building? Obviously the British are more lax than we are."

Writing in The Telegraph, Maj Gen Thompson said the Government's decision not prosecute Mr Lapsley so far "brings our reliability in Five Eyes [the defence intelligence-sharing network] into question".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... rosecuted/

He wrote: "We are also deeply concerned about the implications for national security of such leniency when it comes to laxness in handling classified information."

Maj Gen Thompson asked "what more" Mr Lapsley would have to do to "jeopardise national security to be prosecuted under the Official Secrets Act", pointing to more junior officials who had been prosecuted for "lesser offences".

He also questioned why the Government was "ever considering" giving Mr Lapsley the role of ambassador to Nato, which was under consideration at the time of the incident.

"Why is Lapsley reportedly still in the frame? Why does the FCDO appear to be shielding him?" he added. "The Lapsley case is bigger than one man, but one man must be prosecuted and, if guilty, dismissed."

So - what is it? Shielding a favourite 'son' of the FCO or perhaps they were left deliberately?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#205 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:44 am

Just a thought, in my previous neck of the woods Eyes Only went out of use decades ago. It was replaced with a variation.

Where Eyes Only continued was when it involved 2 or more other nations. Either it has returned to use or it was........

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#206 Post by FD2 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:57 am

Oh dear! Boys will be boys.

Senior officer accused of ‘groping’ female sailor removed from HMS Queen Elizabeth

Officer to be investigated over alleged incident, which took place earlier this month while Carrier Strike Group was ashore in Guam
By Danielle Sheridan, Political and Defence Correspondent 24 August 2021 • 9:30pm

A senior naval officer has been removed from HMS Queen Elizabeth after he was accused of having “groped” a British female sailor while on deployment.

The Telegraph understands that the incident took place earlier this month while the Carrier Strike Group (CSG) was ashore in Guam and personnel were at a “social function”.

The officer was removed from Britain’s new aircraft carrier and flown back to the UK when the CSG set sail the day after the incident to carry on with its maiden operational voyage. He is now subject to an investigation.

A defence source said that the officer’s behaviour was “unacceptable”, adding “we are getting sick and tired of it”.

They added that the Royal Navy “demands the highest standards” and that “where an individual fails to meet these standards, appropriate action will be taken”.

Rear-Adml Chris Parry, former naval commander, said: “It might seem old-fashioned, but in all circumstances a naval officer is expected to be a gentleman. If the Royal Navy is to maintain its competitive edge, our people in senior positions need to be role models and professionals in every respect.”

A Royal Navy spokesman said: “An investigation is underway. It would be inappropriate to comment further.”

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#207 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:09 am

FD2 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:57 am
Oh dear! Boys will be boys.

Senior officer accused of ‘groping’ female sailor removed from HMS Queen Elizabeth

Officer to be investigated over alleged incident, which took place earlier this month while Carrier Strike Group was ashore in Guam
By Danielle Sheridan, Political and Defence Correspondent 24 August 2021 • 9:30pm

A senior naval officer has been removed from HMS Queen Elizabeth after he was accused of having “groped” a British female sailor while on deployment.

The Telegraph understands that the incident took place earlier this month while the Carrier Strike Group (CSG) was ashore in Guam and personnel were at a “social function”.

The officer was removed from Britain’s new aircraft carrier and flown back to the UK when the CSG set sail the day after the incident to carry on with its maiden operational voyage. He is now subject to an investigation.

A defence source said that the officer’s behaviour was “unacceptable”, adding “we are getting sick and tired of it”.

They added that the Royal Navy “demands the highest standards” and that “where an individual fails to meet these standards, appropriate action will be taken”.

Rear-Adml Chris Parry, former naval commander, said: “It might seem old-fashioned, but in all circumstances a naval officer is expected to be a gentleman. If the Royal Navy is to maintain its competitive edge, our people in senior positions need to be role models and professionals in every respect.”

A Royal Navy spokesman said: “An investigation is underway. It would be inappropriate to comment further.”
Wrong to grope a woman, but can it be any worse than the Sex Pistol's frigging in the rigging, or groping with a stoker from the coast of Kuala Lumpur, as the Small Faces song put it?
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#208 Post by FD2 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:24 am

Frigging in the rigging, tossing on the crossing, w*nking on the planking, there was f*ck all else to do.🎤🎷
Some people can’t keep their hands to themselves can they? He won’t go far now.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#209 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:35 am

It see it was the Telegraph. If it was a red top it might have been a CPO. At least I expect a Lt Cdr.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#210 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:14 am

Look on the bright side, it was a 'female' sailor (assuming we are allowed to differentiate......)

Mind you, saying "Look on the bright side" implies a bias which is probably not acceptable =))

Expecting a visit from the thought police soon.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#211 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:19 pm

Boac wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:14 am
Look on the bright side, it was a 'female' sailor (assuming we are allowed to differentiate......)

Mind you, saying "Look on the bright side" implies a bias which is probably not acceptable =))

Expecting a visit from the thought police soon.
I read this post too quickly and misread the "bright side" to read "backside". A terrible Freudian slit, er, I mean slip, on my part! =))

I am sure that the Royal Navy has had to adapt to the modern age, but I doubt whether it has gone as far as tolerating double adaption and other more recherche proclivities and behaviour on board HM's ships and so on.

Frigging in the rigging is one thing, but less Kiss me Hardy (kiss me what?) if you please! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#212 Post by Boac » Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:25 pm

Aha shipmate - they've bin at it fer years, yer know. Ask to see the Golden Rivet.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#213 Post by FD2 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:39 pm

Although based on the old legend that every ship was built with one which led to the legendary search and its unexpected surprise, there actually was one down in the engine room of the Royal Yacht. It was pointed out to visitors but without the follow on 'surprise' part of the legend. I suspect it was painted (not real gold as far as I know) down in the immaculate engine room, I suspect at the instigation of Prince Philip...

In minesweepers, especially, there was often a near naked small statue of Adonis or some other attractive male legend, but with a shell or figleaf covering his toggle and two. It was in the heads just across the passageway from the wardroom. During weekend party nights the wired connection which was made 'made' by lifting the shell/leaf and a loud bell in the wardroom was switched on. Most of the women saw the funny side of it.