Holes in runway Brize Norton

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Holes in runway Brize Norton

#1 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:34 am

Looks like another tendering cock up. It is in Daily Snail speak but there is an article in the DT if you are a subscriber.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... HOLES.html
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Holes in runway Brize Norton

#2 Post by Undried Plum » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:48 am

I'm sure that some Airship or Top Neddy in Whitehall can look forward to a juicy retirement plan consultancy or directorship with Amey to top up the government pension.

Frightfully good value, y'know.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:56 am

The last Amey contract negotiator was a retired lt col. I offered to tell him how to answer the effing questions in their contract tender. He accepted but then retired through ill health and his successor didn't bother.

At least we still have Fairford or Lyneham. 🤔

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by ian16th » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:49 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:56 am
The last Amey contract negotiator was a retired lt col. I offered to tell him how to answer the effing questions in their contract tender. He accepted but then retired through ill health and his successor didn't bother.

At least we still have Fairford or Lyneham. 🤔
......and Abingdon and Dishforth
Cynicism improves with age

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by FD2 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:36 pm

A friend sent me these photos of Brize. No problem here that a quick fod plod wouldn't fix.

Brize 1.jpg

Brize 2.jpg

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:39 am

JFK, busy night, taxying down adjacent runway, stop, go, stop, go. F/O handling, cleared to follow aircraft in front, i.e. when it moved we just followed without waiting for further ATC instructions. F/O applied power and commented on no movement. I suggested releasing the brakes. "Are released " " I have control " I applied lots of power to no avail. Called Company and asked for engineering comment, and whilst waiting the F/Eng. dropped through lower 41 and came back to say that we were in a hole in the runway, with 2" ridge of concrete acting as a chock, apparently caused by us subsiding whilst stationary. Meanwhile ATC are telling us to move on as cleared, can't we replied, we're in a hole in your runway. "There's no holes in our Real Estate " " Are now. and we're in one." Slowly one or two JFK vehicles, including one Airport Police car arrived, and ATC had to re-direct all the aircraft behind us to different routes.

Eventually our engineers advised that they couldn't jack up our wheel, as the jack would just subside further down the hole, and suggested that if we applied full power to No 1 engine we would probably drive out of it. Obtained permission to do so from ATC. who also told their vehicles to go away, bur the Police car stubbornly remained in front of the aircraft. I applied full power as advised, and sure enough we popped out, and the Police car, suddenly seeing a 707 hurtling towards it, moved off !

Our engineers then jacked up our wheel and decided that there was no damage to the wheel or tyre, and we carried on with the flight.

Subsequently I was shown a report from JFK ATC to our local company reps, in which they stated that there was no hole found and the Captain must have taxied off the edge of the runway ! We could only assume that the JFK staff had quickly filled it in ? My Manager said not to worry, he had seen the report from our engineers which corroborated my report of the incident.

This wasn't the only time I experienced "dfferences" between USA ATC "Reports" and my experience of the relevant "Incident" !! Bar Stewards.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by llondel » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:22 pm

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:39 am
Subsequently I was shown a report from JFK ATC to our local company reps, in which they stated that there was no hole found and the Captain must have taxied off the edge of the runway ! We could only assume that the JFK staff had quickly filled it in ? My Manager said not to worry, he had seen the report from our engineers which corroborated my report of the incident.

This wasn't the only time I experienced "dfferences" between USA ATC "Reports" and my experience of the relevant "Incident" !! Bar Stewards.
Of course, now there would be multiple pictures of aircraft wheel in hole circulating on the internet so they couldn't try that on.