Oh dear - red faces as well?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Oh dear - red faces as well?

#121 Post by Boac » Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:13 am

4ma wrote:Q1. I believe the tv personality's ex married the Red's ex..... making it a swap of sorts I suppose.
Didn't know that. Said man didn't join as team manager until years after I had left so I got the story from the papers :)) (Just done some googling and indeed the Mirror tells me "But five years into their marriage the couple became friendly with former Red Arrows manager Eric Steenson and his wife Robin – so friendly, in fact, that the two couples swapped partners." That then makes 2 wife-swaps I now know about!!)
Q2. That would be after your time as Q1 was going on at the same time... and folks thought Scampton was a sleepy hollow after the Vulcans finished.
I'd be interested in a little more on that if you can - by PM?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#122 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:34 am

Sexual harassment, assault and sexual assault, bullying, intimidation, indecent exposure :-o , victimisation, 'misunderstanding of consent', misogyny and isolation.
Mrs Ex-Ascot and I have just been discussing this. Our experience is that this is the Royal Air Force not the Dead Sparrows alone. It is just that in this PC/Woke (whatever that is) world it is all misinterpreted.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#123 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:43 am

Just lads having fun?

Of course there have to be limits (female participants must be consenting, not coerced) - and behaviour 'discrete'.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#124 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:48 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:34 am
Sexual harassment, assault and sexual assault, bullying, intimidation, indecent exposure :-o , victimisation, 'misunderstanding of consent', misogyny and isolation.
Mrs Ex-Ascot and I have just been discussing this. Our experience is that this is the Royal Air Force not the Dead Sparrows alone. It is just that in this PC/Woke (whatever that is) world it is all misinterpreted.
So do you think that this behaviour was warranted?

Tailhook scandal
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#125 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:50 am

Ex-A it seems it made it in the press of the country where all started https://www.protothema.gr/world/article ... skandalon/.

Mainly a translation from your article

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#126 Post by Boac » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:57 am

The problem is, that while so-called 'laddish' behaviour is common, the public face of an outfit like the Arrows dictates a higher standard. Let's face it, infidelity, extra-marital affairs, drunkenness etc are by no means unique to any group. However, if, due to any disciplinary actions taken by the RAF, the team cannot function, then I, sadly, think it is time for a break. Whether that be permanent or temporary is a problem.

I'm unhappy that the team is being sent on a ME tour in the current circumstances.

RiS - does that article cast any light on the 'mysterious' goings on in Greece? I would have expected any journo to have got that sewn up by now.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#127 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:58 am

Boac wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:57 am
The problem is, that while so-called 'laddish' behaviour is common, the public face of an outfit like the Arrows dictates a higher standard. Let's face it, infidelity, extra-marital affairs, drunkenness etc are by no means unique to any group. However, if, due to any disciplinary actions taken by the RAF, the team cannot function, then I, sadly, think it is time for a break. Whether that be permanent or temporary is a problem.

I'm unhappy that the team is being sent on a ME tour in the current circumstances.
+1
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#128 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:09 am

What would Ivan have done?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#129 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:32 am

Yes RiS the article is, as far as I understand, pretty close to the English version.

I agree Boac. If a scandal like this hit The Queen's Flight in my day, it would have made headlines. We had no girls apart from civilian admin and they were always left back at base. All officers were selected by fellow officers who knew them and knew they would be discrete. If one of the men misbehaved he was transferred back to the Royal Air Force and disciplined there.

Well if they misbehave in the M.E. the offending part will be chopped off :-o
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#130 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:51 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:09 am
What would Ivan have done?
Well if by Ivan you mean the Russians, then they would do what they always do, completely hush up the affair, with the gulag door opened for anybody who mentioned it, while internally using the affair to purge the innocent officer class "pour encourager les autres", while the guilty, for the most part would get away Scot free! ;)))

On the subject of the so-called equality for women in the days of the old Soviet Union, "the father" of the Russian space effort Sergei Korolev (who had done his time in the gulag) was said to have commented to his wife about Valentina Tereshkova , the first women into space, "space is no place for ba·bushka's"

So much for equality! =))
"They forbade me from flying, despite all my protests and arguments. After being once in space, I was keen to go back there. But it didn't happen."
- Valentina Tereshkova

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#131 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:57 am

4mastacker wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:08 pm
Who on earth thought it was sensible to put a dentist in charge of Personnel Management? Where does a dentist get command experience?
There are exceptions.
At Coningsby, CCCC ran a crash disaster exercise after hours. Chief organiser was OC Handbrake House and time and date was pre notified.

Rather unsurprisingly, it being a fine summer evening, most of the station decided to enjoy the hospitality of the local and not so local hostelries.

Suffice to say, disaster was exercised to the fullest extent. However while chief organiser and principal player was poncing around in the open air our wg cdr dentist was ensconced in the GDOC in the bunker. As the fiasco outside evolved he did a brilliant job pulling the thing together inside.

My admiration for such civilians in uniform increased markedly.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#132 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:00 am

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:32 am

Or like 8 Sqn, banished to the more inhospitable parts of the empire for over 50 years.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#133 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:03 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:57 am
4mastacker wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:08 pm
Who on earth thought it was sensible to put a dentist in charge of Personnel Management? Where does a dentist get command experience?
There are exceptions.
At Coningsby, CCCC ran a crash disaster exercise after hours. Chief organiser was OC Handbrake House and time and date was pre notified.

Rather unsurprisingly, it being a fine summer evening, most of the station decided to enjoy the hospitality of the local and not so local hostelries.

Suffice to say, disaster was exercised to the fullest extent. However while chief organiser and principal player was poncing around in the open air our wg cdr dentist was ensconced in the GDOC in the bunker. As the fiasco outside evolved he did a brilliant job pulling the thing together inside.

My admiration for such civilians in uniform increased markedly.
Let us not forget, like Mrs Ex-Ascot, they only did the 3 min Vicars and Tarts officer training course.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#134 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:11 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:00 am
Ex-Ascot wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:32 am

Or like 8 Sqn, banished to the more inhospitable parts of the empire for over 50 years.
Ah the "gulag solution!" ;)))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#135 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:31 am

Did she make wg cdr 😁

I know, I know, he only had to cap a thousand teeth.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#136 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:34 am

Did she make wg cdr 😁

I know, I know, he only had to cap a thousand teeth.

PS. My daughter was at OASC and rejected a nurse for a commission. Long time ago now so I can't remember why but I do remember that the applicant was mightily p***d off thus justifying why she had been rejected.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#137 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:24 pm

You can be highly qualified, which you have to be as a nurse with higher qualifications, but not officer material. God knows how I got through Biggin Hill but it did take me three attempts. I was after a university scholarship but in the end they said just come in as a direct entry pilot.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#138 Post by Rwy in Sight » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:22 pm

Boac no mention of the incident in Tanagra back in the spring

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#139 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:38 am

Rwy in Sight wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:22 pm
Boac no mention of the incident in Tanagra back in the spring
In that case almost certainly an internal matter not the Station Commander's wife.

It will all be revealed in due course.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#140 Post by Boac » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:02 am

I do not know, but I think it more likely that whatever 'event' triggered this Greek thing more likely happened at the "'luxury £200 a night 5-star hotel" rather than the airbase?