US Testing Brand New $92 Million Massive Helicopter

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

US Testing Brand New $92 Million Massive Helicopter

#1 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:31 am

A Sikorsky CH-53 Sea Stallion upgrade is tested.

I really enjoy these videos, showing, as they often do, the important role of testing, and of the value and importance of the maintenance and operations support teams, as well the flight crews etc. The Super Stallion is an old stalwart, having first seen action in the Vietnam war. The upgrades and continued use of this multi-role type talks to its intrinsic value to multiple air forces over the intervening years, which continues to this day.

Note the use of the static discharge wand in this video. Enjoy the other types covered and features as an additional bonus.

Another video from the Vietnam era proving that ongoing testing was the mainstay of this type then, as it is now.

My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: US Testing Brand New $92 Million Massive Helicopter

#2 Post by FD2 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:45 pm

I love that MTOW of 88,000 lbs! The Mk 1 Sea King was 20,500 lbs and we thought that was a major step from the Whirlwind in training.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: US Testing Brand New $92 Million Massive Helicopter

#3 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:20 pm

FD2 wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:45 pm
I love that MTOW of 88,000 lbs! The Mk 1 Sea King was 20,500 lbs and we thought that was a major step from the Whirlwind in training.
It is an impressive number that's for sure FD2. It seems age will not wither a basically good design, as the aircraft type has years of life left in it. A bit like the B52 I guess.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.