Red balloon over Montana

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Red balloon over Montana

#61 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:20 pm

What route did these 'vehicles' use to reach Earth from whatever extra-terrestrial location from whence they came?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by OFSO » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:26 pm

.... And was that really a "small asteroid" ( BBC) that whizzed across the South of England two days ago?

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by OFSO » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:34 pm

The route is unimportant - ask any member of Ryanair cabin staff - it's where you land that's important. Gosh! Could there be some alien version of Michael O'Leary out there planning cut-price voyages to our planet? Landing in Montana and advertising it as a short distance to Manhattan..

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by boing » Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:22 pm

Why are we getting no photos?

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:17 pm

1oom8q-2498222303.jpeg
1oom8q-2498222303.jpeg (64.15 KiB) Viewed 691 times

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by boing » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:49 pm

I've carried out a Google search and still can't find any photos of the recent "UFOs". What about gun cameras? We had those for the Chinese balloon. Don't pilots positively identify the target anymore, they apparently took a reasonably close look but no photos? Apparently the pilots disagree on what they saw, pity there were no photos. If it is a harmless unmanned drone are the pilots not required to collect intelligence before they destroy the target? This, or the way it is being handled, is absolute rubbish.

Why tell the public that there are suddenly multiple UFO (meaning real UFOs not "traditional" UFOs) and then say sorry we shot it down so there is no evidence but we can show you lots of bent metal and broken cameras to prove what we claim.

Conclusion. After one genuine event Government is running a distraction routine.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:51 pm

It's almost as if governments are run by dishonest idiots.......

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by OFSO » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:08 pm

Dishonest OR idiots. Surely not both...

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:12 pm

dont_call_me_shirley-jpg-108142836.jpeg
dont_call_me_shirley-jpg-108142836.jpeg (37.04 KiB) Viewed 667 times

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by Boac » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:50 am

According to the BBC,
"The sensors from the first suspected Chinese spy balloon shot down over the US have been recovered from the Atlantic Ocean, the US military says.

Search crews found "significant debris from the site, including all of the priority sensor and electronics pieces identified", said US Northern Command."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by OFSO » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:19 pm

Looking at the photos from the debris of the first balloon, there are at least two large propulsion fans. Rather gives the lie to Chinese claims the device was not steered. At the very least they could have been part of a system to change altitude and thus reach a different direction of air flow.

Now about those two or three benign objects hovering at 30 or 40 thousand feet that were shot down. No pictures, no debris, nobody has complained, nobody knows nuffin and it's not being discussed any more. Am I alone in finding this strange?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:36 pm

OFSO wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:19 pm
Now about those two or three benign objects hovering at 30 or 40 thousand feet that were shot down. No pictures, no debris, nobody has complained, nobody knows nuffin and it's not being discussed any more. Am I alone in finding this strange?
The location of the SDFOs (new term - Shot Down Flying Objects) is problematic.
First one in ice-covered waters of north Alaska, temps ~-50F.
Number 2 in wilds of northern Yukon Territory.
Number 3 in the depth of Lake Huron. Much deeper than the Chinese balloon in coastal Carolina waters.
Biden is due to finally speak on the matter however I don't expect to hear much factual info.

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by OFSO » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:46 pm

Post #71 - delete my first para. Looking on a larger screen than my trusty phone, I can see the fans are not part of the balloon but part of the hovercraft that picked it up. Mea Culpa.

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#74 Post by bob2s » Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:44 pm

A bit more info for what it's worth.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:53 am

Looks like the one shot down over the Yukon might be the property of the Northern Illinois Bottlecap Balloon Brigade

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/ ... -down-usaf
“I tried contacting our military and the FBI—and just got the runaround—to try to enlighten them on what a lot of these things probably are.
And they’re going to look not too intelligent to be shooting them down,”
says Ron Meadows, the founder of Scientific Balloon Solutions (SBS), a Silicon Valley company that makes purpose-built pico balloons for hobbyists, educators and scientists.

So, no action for years, then a massive over-reaction based on sod-all but PR and not listening to anyone - that is so unlike Biden and Trudeau =))

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:51 am

Fox3WheresMyBanana wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:53 am
Looks like the one shot down over the Yukon might be the property of the Northern Illinois Bottlecap Balloon Brigade

“I tried contacting our military and the FBI—and just got the runaround—to try to enlighten them on what a lot of these things probably are.
And they’re going to look not too intelligent to be shooting them down,”
says Ron Meadows, the founder of Scientific Balloon Solutions (SBS), a Silicon Valley company that makes purpose-built pico balloons for hobbyists, educators and scientists.

So, no action for years, then a massive over-reaction based on sod-all but PR and not listening to anyone - that is so unlike Biden and Trudeau =))
A small, globe-trotting balloon declared “missing in action” by an Illinois-based hobbyist club on Feb. 15 has emerged as a candidate to explain one of the three mystery objects shot down by four heat-seeking missiles launched by U.S. Air Force fighters since Feb. 10.

The club—the Northern Illinois Bottlecap Balloon Brigade (NIBBB)—is not pointing fingers yet.

But the circumstantial evidence is at least intriguing. The club’s silver-coated, party-style, “pico balloon” reported its last position on Feb. 10 at 38,910 ft. off the west coast of Alaska, and a popular forecasting tool—the HYSPLIT model provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)—projected the cylindrically shaped object would be floating high over the central part of the Yukon Territory on Feb. 11. That is the same day a Lockheed Martin F-22 shot down an unidentified object of a similar description and altitude in the same general area.

There are suspicions among other prominent members of the small, pico-ballooning enthusiasts’ community, which combines ham radio and high-altitude ballooning into a single, relatively affordable hobby.

“I tried contacting our military and the FBI—and just got the runaround—to try to enlighten them on what a lot of these things probably are. And they’re going to look not too intelligent to be shooting them down,” says Ron Meadows, the founder of Scientific Balloon Solutions (SBS), a Silicon Valley company that makes purpose-built pico balloons for hobbyists, educators and scientists.

The descriptions of all three unidentified objects shot down Feb. 10-12 match the shapes, altitudes and payloads of the small pico balloons, which can usually be purchased for $12-180 each, depending on the type.

“I’m guessing probably they were pico balloons,” said Tom Medlin, a retired FedEx engineer and co-host of the Amateur Radio Roundtable show. Medlin has three pico balloons in flight in the Northern and Southern hemispheres.

Aviation Week contacted a host of government agencies, including the FBI, North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD), the National Security Council (NSC) and the Office of the Secretary of Defense for comment about the possibility of pico balloons. The NSC did not respond to repeated requests. The FBI and OSD did not acknowledge that harmless pico balloons are being considered as possible identities for the mystery objects shot down by the Air Force.

“I have no update for you from NORAD on these objects,” a NORAD spokesman says.

On Feb. 15, NSC spokesman John Kirby told reporters all three objects “could just be balloons tied to some commercial or benign purpose,” but he did not mention the possibility of pico balloons.

Launching high-altitude, circumnavigational pico balloons has emerged only within the past decade. Meadows and his son Lee discovered it was possible to calculate the amount of helium gas necessary to make a common latex balloon neutrally buoyant at altitudes above 43,000 ft. The balloons carry an 11-gram tracker on a tether, along with HF and VHF/UHF antennas to update their positions to ham radio receivers around the world. At any given moment, several dozen such balloons are aloft, with some circling the globe several times before they malfunction or fail for other reasons. The launch teams seldom recover their balloons.

The balloons can come in several forms. Some enthusiasts still use common, Mylar party balloons, with a set of published calculations to determine the amount of gas to inject. But the round-shaped Mylar balloons often are unable to ascend higher than 20,000-30,000 ft., so some pico balloonists have upgraded to different materials.

Medlin says he uses a foil balloon sold by Japanese company Yokohama for $12. The material has proven to be resilient for long periods at high altitude, he says, even if the manufacturer never intended the balloon to be used for that purpose. An alternative is Meadows’ SBS, which makes a series of balloons designed specially for circumnavigational flights.

The pico-ballooning community is nervous about the negative attention by some members of Congress and the White House, who have called the objects shot down at altitudes of 20,000-40,000 ft. dangerous to civil aviation.

“We did assess that their altitudes were considerably lower than the Chinese high-altitude balloon and did pose a threat to civilian commercial air traffic,” Kirby says. “And while we have no specific reason to suspect that they were conducting surveillance of any kind, we couldn’t rule that out.”

In fact, the pico balloons weigh less than 6 lb. and therefore are exempt from most FAA airspace restrictions, Meadows and Medlin said. Three countries—North Korea, Yemen and the UK­—restrict transmissions from balloons in their airspace, so the community has integrated geofencing software into the tracking devices. The balloons still overfly the countries, but do not transmit their positions over their airspace.

The community is also nervous that their balloons could be shot down next. Medlin says one of his balloons—call sign W5KUB-112—is projected by HYSPLIT to enter U.S. airspace on Feb. 17. It already circumnavigated the globe several times, but its trajectory last carried the object over China before it will enter either Mexican or U.S. airspace.

“I hope,” Medlin said, “that in the next few days when that happens we’re not real trigger-happy and start shooting down everything.”

Using a +- $400,000 dollar missile to down a $12 balloon seems to be somewhat out of proportion.
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

U2 pilots photo's taken off the Red Balloon.

#77 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:28 am

My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.