No. 10 Squadron

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

No. 10 Squadron

#1 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:57 am

The new book on the history of 10 Sqn to celebrate the Centenary is now at the printers. There will only be a limited run. Anyone who wants to reserve a copy can do so through the Association web site. Sorry can't post the link on my smart (so called) thing but it is easy to find.

PDR

Sharpend, where are you mate?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

Re: No. 10 Squadron

#3 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:31 pm

Thanks Henry. Can't quite make out the registration otherwise I would get the log books out.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Blacksheep
Snr FO
Snr FO

#4 Post by Blacksheep » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:58 pm

Never on 10 Squadron, I worked on LSS for three and a bit happy years '71 to '74. I loved the VC10, a true Techies machine it was.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#5 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:16 pm

Blacksheep, thank you for keeping them serviceable. I have flown many, many types but the Shiny Ten was the very best.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#6 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:30 am

Just an update on the book from the association:

It is with much regret that Ian Macmillan & Dick King inform us that they realistically do not think that the launch date of Remembrance Sunday 8 November can be met for their forthcoming Centennial History of 10 Squadron.
Whilst obviously disappointing, there is some good news because the book will now be larger with greater content that will now run to over 300 pages and contain many more photographs than originally envisaged.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#7 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:28 am

Ian Macmillan & Dick King are delighted to advise members that the first copies of their book, From Brooklands to Brize  have now been despatched to those who first ordered a copy. 
The remaining ones will be sent out during the next week.

If you haven't yet ordered a copy of this magnificent volume there's still time before Christmas if you send an email as soon as possible to contactus@10sqnass.co.uk 
(see www.10sqnass.co.uk   for more details)

Cheques or postal orders will be required for £25 plus £5 P&P for UK addresses.  IBAN payments may be made from overseas.
Although it is showing on Amazon, the book is not available through them or at bookshops.

Rgds
The 10 Sqn Assoc

Congratulations to Dick and Ian. My copy was posted yesterday. Should get it by Easter!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:39 am

Got it. A fantastic book. After paying about the same price of the book for postage the b@stards here charged import duty.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#9 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:30 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... 400ft.html

This is all very embarrassing. I have read the inquiry reports. Guess he will never get to use his very cherished A330 type rating in civvi street. Interesting that they have not named him yet.

It is a pity that The Queen's Flight policy didn't apply. If you were in the poo there (not moi) you were transfered to station strength then done so as not to tarnish the Flight's name.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by ian16th » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:31 pm

suing the MoD for ‘breaching its duty of care’

Why didn't I think of that?

One time Transport Command supplied a Hastings to carry 214 Sqdn ground crew on detachment.

Half way along Marham's main runway and going quite quickly, in Hastings terms, the not so trusty Bristol Hercules start coughing, spluttering and banging. The classic symptoms of a mag-drop. Much gripping of armrests and bracing of feet as the T/O is abandoned.

When A/C is back at Station Flight, the Flight Engineer comes down the back, asking if any of our Engine Fitters knew the Hercules.

Lots of head shaking and muttering, 'only Avons' from our Engine guys. Off course no one would have believed that this Fairy had helped with several plug changes of Hercules and Centaurus while at Istres/Orange.
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#11 Post by Ex-Ascot » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:32 pm

We haven't had a thread running here on the plummeting Voyager incident. Most of you interested will know that a Courts Martial has just taken place of the Captain, Flt Lt Townshend, who allegedly perjured himself at the inquiry and falsified documents. I find it incredulous that he has been found not guilty.

http://www.bfbs.com/news/articles/raf/7020

This whole fiasco reflects badly on the Royal Air Force, No. 10 Sqn and IMHO the services' judicial system. I also feel for the Co Pilot who was seriously injured, saved the aircraft, passengers and crew but now, due to his injuries, can no longer fly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02 ... ce-harrys/

Sisemen

#12 Post by Sisemen » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:33 pm

"Lessons have been learnt". As soon as I hear that phrase I just know that arse covering is underway.

Brian W May
CPL
CPL

#13 Post by Brian W May » Fri May 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:32 pm
We haven't had a thread running here on the plummeting Voyager incident. Most of you interested will know that a Courts Martial has just taken place of the Captain, Flt Lt Townshend, who allegedly perjured himself at the inquiry and falsified documents. I find it incredulous that he has been found not guilty.

http://www.bfbs.com/news/articles/raf/7020

This whole fiasco reflects badly on the Royal Air Force, No. 10 Sqn and IMHO the services' judicial system. I also feel for the Co Pilot who was seriously injured, saved the aircraft, passengers and crew but now, due to his injuries, can no longer fly.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02 ... ce-harrys/
Yep, you're only as good as your last trip !! The fact that someone has flown thousands of hours without incident can be utterly eclipsed when they do something unfortunate, either by sheer stupidity or ***** simply happening.

When I flew on contract with Biman Bangladesh on the DC10-30, I was gobsmacked how complacent most of the tens-of-thousands hours captains were. When we were forced into a GA approaching Kuwait, an ashen faced skipper turned to me and complained the aircraft wasn't accelerating . . . I responded with 'What happened to 'Flap 22, Gear UP'? Doesn't generally accelerate too well with 50 flap and gear down. Utterly incompetent.

So I'm very sceptical when all the friends and colleagues emerge to spout how great a particular crew-member was . . . perhaps he/she was just fortunate enough not to have been tested . . .

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by Cacophonix » Fri May 11, 2018 12:31 pm

The court martial heard that after diverting to an airbase, 49-year-old Flt Lt Townshend lied when filing a tech-log in which he attributed the cause of the incident to a mechanical fault.

He allegedly then lied days later while under oath at a service inquiry, by insisting the incident was a result of a technical error.

Flt Lt Townshend denies two counts of perjury and making a false record in relation to lying, but admits negligently performing a duty in relation to causing the camera to collide with the side-stick.
The court heard he deleted photos he took in the cockpit after the incident.

Flt Lt Jones recalled Flt Lt Townshend, based at RAF Northolt, taking photos on the flight, and occasionally showing him the screen of his Nikon DSLR to show off his pictures.
It seems this Captain lied in his reporting of the incident and then later under oath (if we are to believe the Telegraph). If true his goose is truly cooked methinks! He could do prison time for perjury! What are the RAF SOPS about taking a camera into the cockpit and indeed has this incident highlighted a fault with the layout of the side stick and the commander's seat? Why did he lie in the first place? ***** happens, God vomits on duvets but lying about it just a sure fire way to be fired at the very least!

Caco