Photoshop re-writes history!

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Photoshop re-writes history!

#1 Post by Boac » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:07 am

A very good friend has sent this to me, and I shamelessly borrow it :))

Tractor.jpeg

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Photoshop re-writes history!

#2 Post by tango15 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:39 am

Clever!

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Wodrick » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:36 am

I can't quite remember the original, I remember the chap ejecting from the Lightning but was the observer in a tractor ?

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Boac » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:43 am

George Aird, September 1962.

No, I don't know the tractor driver's name......

Lightning-Tractor-driver-150x176.jpg
Lightning-Tractor-driver-150x176.jpg (6.5 KiB) Viewed 1973 times

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Wodrick » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:46 am

'tis clever then, the lightning going in is easy enough but replacing the Massy Ferguson a tad more difficult.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:18 pm

The tractor driver was 15 year old Mick Sutterby.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by OneHungLow » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:40 pm

The original photograph is an amazing one.
This is the story behind the famous picture of the test pilot George Aird ejected from his Lightning F1 fighter plane. The picture was taken by Jim Meads on September 13, 1962.

It was published in newspapers all around the world at the time and many people thought it was fake until the Ministry of Defence tried to put a “D Notice” on the photograph banning its publication, which confirmed that it was indeed real and not a fake.

The aircraft in the photograph was XG332. It was built in 1959, one of 20 pre-production Lightnings. The Lightning was the only British designed and built fighter capable of speeds in excess of Mach 2 to serve with the Royal Air Force. A unique feature of Lightning’s design is the vertical, staggered configuration of its two Rolls-Royce Avon turbojet engines within the fuselage.

The Lightning was initially designed and developed as an interceptor to defend the V bomber airfields from attack by anticipated future nuclear-armed supersonic Soviet bombers.

What’s the story behind this unbelievable photograph?
Jim Meads, the man who took the picture, was a professional photographer who lived near the Hatfield airfield, next door to De Havilland test pilot Bob Sowray. On this day both of their wives had gone shopping in London and Bob had mentioned to his neighbor that he was due to fly a Lightning that day.

When Meads took his kids to watch the flight, he took his camera along, hoping to get a shot of the plane. His plan was to take a photograph of the children with the airfield in the background as the Lightning came into land. They found a good view of the final approach path and waited for the Lightning to return.

As it happened, Bob Sowray didn’t fly the Lightning that day. The pilot was George Aird, another test pilot working for De Havilland. George Aird was involved in the Red Top Air-to-Air Missile programme and seems to have been a well-respected test pilot.

As XG332 Lightning F1 came in on final approach, at around 200ft high (61 meters) its nose pitched up and the pilot ejected. The Lightning had become uncontrollable after an engine fire had weakened a tailplane actuator.

Jim Mead took one photo soon after the ejection, and as can be seen, caught the pilot inverted with his parachute still unopened and the Lightning plummeting earthwards close to him.

The tractor driver heard the bang of the ejection seat and is seen after quickly turning around to look at what was going on. The driver was 15-year-old Mick Sutterby, who spent that summer working on the airfield. He wasn’t posing for the camera. In fact, he was telling the photographer, Jim Mead, to move on, because he shouldn’t be there.
https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/story- ... raft-1962/
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Pinky the pilot » Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:43 am

I like it!! :-bd

Best thing that could ever happen to a `Fergie.` :D Had to drive one when I was picking Oranges for a friend, and it was a heap of excrement!
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.