Nuclear Test Medal.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Nuclear Test Medal.

#1 Post by Alisoncc » Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:52 am

Came across interesting article the other day re: UK Govt issuing commemorative medal to those involved in the testing of the UK's nuclear device.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... lear-tests

I have distinct memories of our Vulcan B2's at Finningley doing high level missions to collect dust circulating after tests. PN will probably know more. I also remember having to wear some kind of hazmat suit and a Dosimeter when an aircraft was towed off to a special washing pan and given a thorough clean on return. Didn't need to be in the South Pacific to be involved.

Alison
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Nuclear Test Medal.

#2 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:17 am

You must missed a bit Alison. :D

When 27 Sqn disbanded, the RSO wouldn't sign the disposal safety certificate because the leading edges of one of the aircraft was "a bit warm"; this was after our OC Supply decided he wanted a team photograph of the sqn in front of the jet before the scrappies got to work on it. #-o

The aircraft was parked up on a remote dispersal for a few months until the RSO was happy that he could sign off the aircraft making it, I believe, the last Vulcan to be cut-up at Scampton.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:28 pm

Alisoncc wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:52 am
Came across interesting article the other day re: UK Govt issuing commemorative medal to those involved in the testing of the UK's nuclear device.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... lear-tests

I have distinct memories of our Vulcan B2's at Finningley doing high level missions to collect dust circulating after tests. PN will probably know more. I also remember having to wear some kind of hazmat suit and a Dosimeter when an aircraft was towed off to a special washing pan and given a thorough clean on return. Didn't need to be in the South Pacific to be involved.

Alison
Sort of is the answer. The high level missions were not to collect dust samples per se, but opportune checking.

I remember ground crew has the little blue tag devices, ATC also had them. Whether they were to measure the effects of all the radars blatting away or dust collected on our high level flights I don't know.

IIRC, when we moved to Cottesmore in 1965, or not long after, they disappeared. I had asked why we didn't have them too but got no answer.

I agree about aircraft wash and the precautions required.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:39 pm

Trying to find an article I read a couple of years back, no joy, but I found this:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... sheet5.pdf