Civilian Photographer's U2 Photos

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Civilian Photographer's U2 Photos

#1 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:19 pm

Arizona photographer gets photo of a lifetime during spy plane flight from miles up in the sky
An Arizona photographer is one of a handful of people to ever fly in a U-2 spy plane. The pictures he captured are amazing.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/loc ... 387b02dfc9

https://www.blairbunting.com/

ARIZONA, USA — "We were technically the 8th furthest person from the Earth," Blair Bunting said from his home, quite a bit closer to the ground.

In April, Bunting was 13 miles away from Earth straight up into the sky. He was flying in the second seat of a U-2 spy plane. The only people higher up were the seven people on the International Space Station.

Exactly how high up, Bunting can't say because the information is classified. But he can safely say it was above 70,000 feet. A commercial airliner flies at around 35,000 feet.

The U-2 plane he was traveling in is almost 70 years old, but some of its capabilities and technology remain classified.

It was a project that Bunting spent years thinking about, and 8 months training for. He's a commercial photographer, shooting portraits of celebrities and sports stars, and advertising campaigns for major brands.

It was a magazine cover shoot for Billboard magazine that got him noticed by a public affairs officer at Luke Air Force Base, Bunting said. That led to an invite to fly with the USAF Thunderbirds, and then an invitation to photograph the SR-71 at Beale Air Force Base. After that, they asked if he'd like to fly in a U-2.

It took years to make it happen, but in 2022 he was back at Beale, being fitted for a spacesuit.

“I was so scared that I just didn't have it in me," Bunting said. "But at the same time, I felt I felt it needed to happen."

On April 14, 2023, after being fitted for a custom spacesuit, learning the ins and outs of the jet, how to survive if he had to eject, and the long list of things that could go wrong, Bunting was headed to the edge of space.

"We needed a photographer to go up there this whole time," he said. "And the people that work on the plane and fly it, they needed to see these images."

The images he captured are the first ever air-to-air professional photos of a U-2, taken from another U-2 at a high altitude. The colors that appear in the atmosphere are not added in Photoshop, they're actually there.

But in the entire series, posted on his website, there are no faces of any of the pilots. Bunting said he only knew his pilot by his call sign, Utah.

Instead, the faces you see are the support crew, the people who maintain the jets and keep them flying.

But his favorite shot was one showing the U-2's wing, four states, the ocean and the curvature of the earth.

"I made it with my dad's lens," Bunting said. "I took it up there as a way to thank him and my mom for supporting me."

And, Bunting said, it wasn't the thrill of being one of only a handful of civilians to ever fly in a U-2, or the thrill of the danger that made him want to take on this project. It wasn't the money either. Bunting said he did this for free, even turned down commercial jobs to make this happen.

His reason is personal. And six years old.

“I have autism," Bunting said. "And my daughter, who is now six, she knows it and she knows that dad has these things that might limit him in life and whatnot. But with doing this project, she knows nothing is limited now anymore."

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Civilian Photographer's U2 Photos

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:42 pm

You don't have permission to access "http://www.12news.com/article/news/loca ... 387b02dfc9" on this server./quote]

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:05 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:42 pm
You don't have permission to access "http://www.12news.com/article/news/loca ... 387b02dfc9" on this server./quote]
Whole article was cut and pasted with link to photographer's website for photos.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by llondel » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:38 pm

That's going to rank up there with the Concorde supersonic photos, not something that will be repeated. I wonder how often they've had multiple U2s up there together? It always struck me as a fairly solitary aircraft.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by admin2 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:57 pm

The website is not available to a UK server. You need to use a proxy - US would be best.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Karearea » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:04 pm

Just for the record, https://www.12news.com/article/news/loc ... 387b02dfc9 is available to me to view.

Amazing photo!

Tks, PHXPhlyer.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

admin2
Capt
Capt

#7 Post by admin2 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:32 pm

Photog's website is accessible in the UK

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#8 Post by G~Man » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:11 pm

Kewl shots...... One of the most difficult aircraft to land: NSFW Language

B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:24 pm

Great video! :YMAPPLAUSE:
Do U2 pilots have a Ground Loop club? :-?
What would that patch look like? :-?

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by llondel » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:16 am

Why do they always have a chase car? Is it there to pick up pieces, or leap out and get the pilot out if it really goes bad?

Also, who were the band doing the soundtrack?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:35 am

The chase car has another pilot who is giving real time feedback regarding height above runway and sink rate.
It would appear that even that assistance is not always adequate.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by llondel » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:54 am

OK, that makes sense. Does it have nosewheel steering? Given the in-line undercarriage and the need to keep wings level, I'm surprised they ever manage to land them in a straight line unless there's no crosswind.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:04 am

All of the gliders that I have flown have had a main wheel and a tail wheel.
Don't recall any issues with that configuration in any flights.

PP

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#14 Post by G~Man » Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:31 am

llondel wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:16 am
Also, who were the band doing the soundtrack?
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by OneHungLow » Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:43 am

If I remember correctly didn't one of the delinquents who presented Top Gear, get a a ride as a civilian in the U2? You know, the school teachery, PPL, floppy haired one... James May!

May and Hammond are invited to the party, (both pilots) whereas that crass idiot Clarkson can **** off! =))

Edited to say Puddle of Mud, sum it up so well!
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:03 am

Whilst I endorse your views on the fat git Clarkson, he did have one redeeming feature - he bought a Lightning for his garden. I believe 'Mrs' told him to put it where the sun don't shine =))

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by tango15 » Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:39 am

Many years ago, in the days of the Mildenhall Air Show, I got chatting to a U-2 pilot about stuff that he was allowed to speak of. When he heard that I worked at Hatfield, he said that he would love to have a look at the factory one day. We were building the 146 at the time, which he thought was 'kinda cute'. I said that it could be done, but in return, could he arrange a couple of hours at Alconbury on a flying day, so that I could take some photos? He said, "I'll get back to you on that," and he was as good as his word.
Fast forward a couple of months, and myself and my mate spent a couple of very entertaining hours at Alconbury chatting to people and taking some photos, which I will try to find. I formed the impression that neither the pilots nor the ground crew liked the aircraft very much. It was simply a means to an end.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by OneHungLow » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:16 am

Boac wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:03 am
Whilst I endorse your views on the fat git Clarkson, he did have one redeeming feature - he bought a Lightning for his garden. I believe 'Mrs' told him to put it where the sun don't shine =))
Yes, who wouldn't want a real Lightning parked in one's garden? Women can be very strange sometimes! :))

I see that Jay Smiths Hangar 51 are working on getting a Lightning back to air worthiness again. Perhaps you can persuade your better half to let you loose in one again. A holiday to Port Elizabeth or Cape Town for you and your good wife Boac? ;)))

As I typed that last sentence the local Jet Provost blatzed past at low level! Must be an omen...

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/hangar- ... collection.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by OneHungLow » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:21 am

tango15 wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:39 am
Many years ago, in the days of the Mildenhall Air Show, I got chatting to a U-2 pilot about stuff that he was allowed to speak of. When he heard that I worked at Hatfield, he said that he would love to have a look at the factory one day. We were building the 146 at the time, which he thought was 'kinda cute'. I said that it could be done, but in return, could he arrange a couple of hours at Alconbury on a flying day, so that I could take some photos? He said, "I'll get back to you on that," and he was as good as his word.
Fast forward a couple of months, and myself and my mate spent a couple of very entertaining hours at Alconbury chatting to people and taking some photos, which I will try to find. I formed the impression that neither the pilots nor the ground crew liked the aircraft very much. It was simply a means to an end.
I am sure Clarence Leonard "Kelly" Johnson loved his creation. Its awful, sometimes deadly take off and, most often, landing characteristics aside, it is a beautiful aircraft to behold.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit ... he%20years.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:48 pm

Had a look at Alconbury on Google earth and saw taxiways full of parked cars.
See that NW end of what was the runway similarly occupied.
Wikipedia says it is still active RAF base.
What's the deal?

PP