Aircraft drone makes history landing on Royal Navy carrier at sea

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Aircraft drone makes history landing on Royal Navy carrier at sea

#21 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:48 pm

That's someone who is even more ignorant =)) A/C will be parked all over the deck including 'at the back', 'left' and 'right' and there ain't no way you can use barriers to protect them. Certainly one 'in front' would work, but judging by the recent F35 loss I'm not sure you could rely on the RN to take it down before the next launch........ =)) so it will have to be 'down the hatch' airborne or over the side.....

To the best of my knowledge the F35s embark stateside, so unless the pusser has one in his/her cupboard, the current complement will be nil. Not sure about the whirlies, though I suspect also nil.

EDITED TO ADD: There may be the odd one 'passing through' while she is in the channel doing STOVL trials.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by OneHungLow » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:52 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:48 pm
That's someone who is even more ignorant =)) A/C will be parked all over the deck including 'at the back', 'left' and 'right' and there ain't no way you can use barriers to protect them. Certainly one 'in front' would work, but judging by the recent F35 loss I'm not sure you could rely on the RN to take it down before the next launch........ =)) so it will have to be 'down the hatch' airborne or over the side.....

To the best of my knowledge the F35s embark stateside, so unless the pusser has one in his/her cupboard, the current complement will be nil. Not sure about the whirlies, though I suspect also nil.
Somebody who is more ignorant than me even!

I am outraged... =))

:))
The observer of fools in military south and north...

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:54 pm

We will wait for Southampton UNI................ :))

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Sep 14, 2023 2:30 pm

Give up OHL - Boac's like one of my ex-wives, always has to have the last word. FD2 adds 'Who knows' to his statement as he admitted he didn't know the relevant fact but there's the sarky comeback 'Not you'. Boac's 'To the best of my knowledge', 'Not sure about the whirlies', and 'though I suspect' are indicative of his lack of knowledge of naval aviation and his 'I'm not sure you can rely on the RN' is probably a feeble attempt at inter-service rivalry humour which comes across as his usual sarcasm.

I haven't got the will or time to respond to Boac's response to this post, so go ahead Boac. I gave up the 'I can piss up the wall higher than you competitions' in my schooldays.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by FD2 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:21 pm

Boac - I think you have misunderstood what sea trials and work up periods are about. Aircraft come and go and I dare say PoW has had a few aircraft visiting now they are finally at sea and hopefully under way through the water with no problems from the shafts. The point was made that they would not risk having any aircraft, fixed or rotary wing, on deck during the first trials of this drone so what is the problem with that? Maybe they shooed them away to Culdrose or just stuck them in the hangar is not known, but if any were embarked they wouldn't risk leaving them exposed to possible collisions from the drone 'diving at the superstructure' or whatever. I just can't understand why you're arguing the toss over such an unimportant and straightforward matter.

If, and I repeat if, the Navy takes up this machine as viable and useful I'm sure that there will be other aircraft on deck when it lands and takes off, when the concept has proved itself safe from uncontrolled dives etc. I hope that is reassuring. Of course there are always odd circumstances which might cause problems - ship's motion, unexpected gusts etc but they are always the risks that were/are there when operating from ships at sea for the last hundred years or so.