Failed Trident missile launch

ricardian
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Failed Trident missile launch

#1 Post by ricardian » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:51 pm

Seen on another site:
I don't like it when I see unfair and untrue sensationalised headlines. Ie. 'Royal Navy submarine fails in missile firing.'
Let's get some facts straight. Vanguard is a BRITISH submarine firing an AMERICAN missile. In order to fire a missile. Every valve, every diode, every computer system, every electrical circuit every crew member must perform to perfection to be able to fire a missile from a submerged submarine. This is practiced several times a week day and night until every crew member can carry out their task to perfection. When it is perfect and only then can a missile be succesfully fired. This operation was carried out by the Royal Navy as expected. The fact the rocket was fired proved the success of the launching platform and crew. The fact the AMERICAN practice rocket didn't ignite is for the American missile manufacturer to address. Well done to the crew who spend months underwater cut off from the outside world. They certainly don't need jumped up media telling them their hard work failed.
Ricardian, Stronsay, Orkney UK
www.stronsaylimpet.co.uk
visitstronsay.com
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/EGER

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Failed Trident missile launch

#2 Post by FD2 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:34 pm

Good point, whoever posted it on the other site and for copying it over ricardian.

The first of the three rocket motors doesn't ignite until the missile is clear of the sea surface. As far as I know, no RN folk touch the missiles apart from loading before and unloading after a patrol. Northrop Grumman make the first stage motor - thanks for the red faces boys!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UGM-133_Trident_II