RAF cuts 30 Typhoons

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

RAF cuts 30 Typhoons

#1 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:49 am

The Royal Air Force is to retire 30 Typhoons next year. They are only 40% into their expected service.

Surely there can't be a worse time to cut our air defences with Russia sabre-rattling.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Putin.html
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: RAF cuts 30 Typhoons

#2 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:03 pm

RAF sources said retaining the T1s would cost 'in excess of' £300 million for upgrades and storage. A spokesman said: 'Retaining Tranche 1 Typhoons would not offer operational benefit or value for money and would lead to significant reductions in available spares and investment for Tranches 2 and 3.
Would not offer operational benefit.
This means the RAF does not need them to achieve its current task, or they cannot man and service the ones they have.

If retaining Tranche 1 reduces spares availability, it means they are not buying sufficient spares for the ones they have.

If the RAF does not need them to achieve the task the Government has given them, and since the government has not to my knowledge changed the task recently, it means they had too many previously.

I am always interested in how government and the media never examine these kind of statements for the implications, and ask about those.