MIA's

Lost forever.
om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: MIA's

#141 Post by om15 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:33 pm

I have passed the secret address to a few who have decided not to join us just yet, there are still some out there in cyber space who would be an exciting addition to our forum, G&T and MJ for example, lets hope that they come across us in due course.
I think we are doing nicely for the time being.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#142 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:12 am

I have received a pm on the other place from Tinpis. I do not know if he will join us but he is indeed not well. :((

I will leave it at that. If he joins us he may explain.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#143 Post by A Lutra Continua » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:36 am

Bugger! Sorry to hear that, Pinky. Tinny is one of the good guys.

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#144 Post by Alisoncc » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:44 am

Whenever I saw his moniker on the other place it brought a wry smile to my face. Tinpis was pigeon for a can of beer when I was flying up there.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#145 Post by A Lutra Continua » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:57 am

Beer? Not tinned fish?

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#146 Post by 500N » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:03 am

Beer. I have heard it used in the NT, now I know where it comes from as the person using it had been to PNG.

admin
Chief Engineer

#147 Post by admin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:07 am

A tin of Piss was a can of beer, on account after a few the locals would get pissed out of their minds, and those who weren't so local weren't far behind. Malarial Tours 1970 Christmas party allocated three tins of piss to each of the hangar boys, and they loved it.

Mind you Ray Shaw the Ch Eng gave them all a pay rise, and Monday the next week non of them turned up. When questioned on Tuesday when they did turn up the head boy, with the biggest smile imaginable, stated "Only need to work four days now boss".

Alison

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#148 Post by A Lutra Continua » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:13 am

Ah so. Tinny once said his nick was pidgin for a tin of fish.

A hostie with the national carrier just wasn't rolling up for work after completing training. Every time she was rostered the standby had to be called. Manager went to see what it was about and found her at home with her mates. She told him the basic salary was enough for her and that she didn't need to do the actual flights to get the per diems and allowances, so she was happy just staying home. The logic is mind boggling at times...

admin
Chief Engineer

#149 Post by admin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:32 am

A Lutra Continua wrote:Ah so. Tinny once said his nick was pidgin for a tin of fish.

Might have been the other side of the mountains - New Guinea, but our side Papua we would dole out tins of piss to locals for helping unload and shift cargo. Always carried a few cans down the back for that purpose, and that was in 1970.

DD, aka Dennis Douglas, imported a few hundred of these handing them out at will. It was a prized possession to many of the locals who used to hang them on a piece of vine around their necks. If you were the only person in the village with one then you got the first swig at the can as payment for it's use.

canopener.jpg

Chuks
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#150 Post by Chuks » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:04 am

That is a "church key." Gone from the scene now, sadly.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#151 Post by 500N » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:10 am

admin
Re the "Church Key", were the tins of piss that were handed out the big tins of Fosters which
needed a triangle cut in with one of those openers ?

These things. They were still around in the late 70's.

Bottom B&W cans are from the 50's onwards.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#152 Post by A Lutra Continua » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:14 am

Yup. Had one on my keyring a few years ago. Jumpmaster used it to cut loose a hung static line student after he'd forgotten his own hook knife on the load and my personal one had been nicked the weekend before. Ended up chewing through the webbing using the little cut out bit while waving off a student who was determined to kill us all by deploying the reserve while still attached to the aircraft.

For some reason my suggestion to issue jumpmasters with 9mm pistols to shoot students who don't follow their training was not taken seriously.

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#153 Post by probes » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:17 am

jeezzz, the cans look like shoe polish! :)

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#154 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:38 am

In my day with Douglas Airways and later Simbu, Tinpis and rais was tinned fish with rice! :ymsick:

At one stage I was based in Kerema, Gulf Province PNG, subbed out to fly a 300HP Bongo van owned by the Catholic Diocese there. I stayed in the Catholic Lodge in Kerema where the food was very basic but never unpalatable.

The Cooks were young Meris from one of the local Villages who showed an aptitude for cooking. And I must state for the record here; I never ever had a lousy meal there! As mentioned above, the food was basic but always filling.

And not once did I ever get the meal mentioned in the first line of this post.

Actually, I will always remember the one night we were served Rump steak! I have no idea how they came about it. All I know is that it was bloody good!!

I have often wondered what became of those Girls who looked after me and the others who lived in the Lodge there. I can guess; and more's the pity as two in particular would have made good Chefs in some Restaurant somewhere, if only they had the opportunity! :(
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#155 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:29 am

And just received a message from the illustrious Gaunty. Have extended an invitation to him to join us.

Stay tuned.

admin
Chief Engineer

#156 Post by admin » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:41 pm

Pinky the pilot wrote:In my day with Douglas Airways and later Simbu, Tinpis and rais was tinned fish with rice! :ymsick:

That wouldn't have been a certain Dennis Douglas, previously of Malerial Tours fame would it? Knew him quite well back in 1970/71. A photo of a couple of their BN2A's plus others at Jacksons Field, Port Moresby. The old name for the airport.

Port Moresby.jpg

Pidgeon wasn't a static language nor strictly defined, and for many there were always the "missionaries" trying to civilize the language. When we still had Kiaps running vast areas of TPNG then tinpis was pidgeon for cans of piss (beer), and payment for some effort was often in cans of beer. I understand there was a time when drunkenness was a significant problem, so attempts by missionaries to effect payment in tins of fish instead wouldn't be that surprising. And so the language drifts.

A Lutra Continua
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#157 Post by A Lutra Continua » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:40 pm

Pinky the pilot wrote:...I have often wondered what became of those Girls who looked after me and the others who lived in the Lodge there. I can guess; and more's the pity as two in particular would have made good Chefs in some Restaurant somewhere, if only they had the opportunity! :(

Best Italian food I ever had was made by our cook in Bujumbura. Wish I could have figured out a way to get him and his family to Europe or SA. He'd have been snapped up by any restaurant worth their Michelin stars.

500N
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#158 Post by 500N » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:20 am

Has anyone invited Cooda Shooda ?

rgbrock1
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#159 Post by rgbrock1 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:09 pm

500N wrote:Has anyone invited Cooda Shooda ?

Who? Never heard of him/her. I'm sorry not to see con-pilot on here yet. Maybe I'll create a new persona on "that other site" and get con banned! :D
Pro Deo et Constitutione — Libertas aut Mors

Airborne Aircrew
Capt
Capt

#160 Post by Airborne Aircrew » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:37 pm

RGB:

Creating a new persona doesn't get you access I'm afraid. I created one some weeks ago now and have made several sensible posts in varying subject matter topics. Not one has appeared in the threads yet... So I'm stuck in limbo.

The funny thing is that they are now so paranoid about who may or may not be a previously banned that bona fide new members are also in limbo and probably don't bother returning. So, they are hurting their own membership numbers which, in turn, will affect that revenue stream they are trying to protect by culling us dross... :))
Reasons for being banned to date:-

1. Espousing extreme views
2. PITA, (love this one)...