Vale Dave Tink

Lost forever.
CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Vale Dave Tink

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:12 am

Taken from TOP:

Dave Tink’s son, Alun, reported on another site that his father passed away on 24 September 2019.

Dave was the Bristow Chief Training Captain for the S61 based in Aberdeen from 1978 until his retirement in 1996. He left school at 16 and joined the merchant navy as a cadet and had been twice around the world by the age of 18. He left the merchant navy as a 3rd mate and joined the Royal Navy. He included Dragonflies, Hillers, Whirlwinds, Wessex and a SRN6 Hovercraft as part of the many types he piloted. He joined Bristows in 1977 after a short spell with North Scottish Helicopters. He died at home with his family.

The funeral will take place at 1130 am on Wednesday 2nd October at: -
Baldarroch Chapel & Crematorium, Crathes Banchory AB31 5JL
Anyone who knew him is very welcome to attend the service and afterwards at the Milton Brasserie, Milton of Crathes, Banchory AB31 5QH.
------------------
Dave was one of my instructors when I went through ab initio helicopter training on 705 at Culdrose in 1964. A very calm, excellent instructor, we met up again in Bristow at Aberdeen in the late 80's and 90's. We weren't on the same fleet so never flew together again but it was great to sit and chat with him in the crewroom. Baldarroch Crematorium is a place I've visited rather too many times this year but I'll be there on Wednesday to say my final farewell. RIP Dave.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Sisemen

Re: Vale Dave Tink

#2 Post by Sisemen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:08 pm

Wonder what happens when someone pops their clogs and their nearest and dearest don’t flag it to the various sites that they’re on? Presumably, if you’ve a high enough profile, someone might enquire “Haven’t seen anything from Bloggs for a while, is he OK?”, and then after a few days, is quietly forgotten.

We are but dust and the stuff of stars.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Vale Dave Tink

#3 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:29 am

Sisemen wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:08 pm
Wonder what happens when someone pops their clogs and their nearest and dearest don’t flag it to the various sites that they’re on? Presumably, if you’ve a high enough profile, someone might enquire “Haven’t seen anything from Bloggs for a while, is he OK?”, and then after a few days, is quietly forgotten.

We are but dust and the stuff of stars.
Well put and your whole comment inclines one to think of the ephemeral nature of internet relationships.

While I assume that you may have know the real Dave Tink and mourn his loss in the full sense of that corporeal knowledge, the many internet characters we know, and are ourselves, are just digitally assembled abstractions, simulacra of the real people, and in truth, impossible to know in the full sense of the word in this environment and yet we do miss some more than others and some not at all.

Whatever the case, vale Captain Tink as you seem to have been a very real, decent and memorable person on the basis of C16's comments.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."