Departed during 2020

Lost forever.
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

The Marquess of Bath - RIP

#21 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:11 pm

Lord Bath of Longleat has died aged 87 after testing positive for coronavirus.
Alexander Thynn, the seventh Marquess of Bath, died on Saturday after being admitted to the Royal United hospital in Bath on 28 March. During his time there it was confirmed that he had Covid-19.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... s-marquess

He was a true Bohemian with an eye for beauty in all its forms from women to art...
According to several reports, walls in his house were decorated with erotic murals. He boycotted his son Ceawlin’s wedding after Ceawlin removed a series of his father’s handpainted murals from the walls of Longleat. Bath told a newspaper: “It’s my life’s work and he’s quietly binned it.”
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Departed during 2020

#22 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:17 pm

Honor Blackman RIP

Honor Blackman Obituary

Honor Blackman, the actor best-known for playing Bond girl Pussy Galore, has died aged 94.

The actor, who became a household name in the 1960s as Cathy Gale in The Avengers and enjoyed a career spanning eight decades, died of natural causes unrelated to coronavirus.

Blackman’s family called her an “adored mother and grandmother” who possessed “an extraordinary combination of beauty, brains and physical prowess”.

In a statement to the Guardian, her family said: “It’s with great sadness that we have to announce the death of Honor Blackman aged 94. She died peacefully of natural causes at her home in Lewes, Sussex, surrounded by her family. She was much loved and will be greatly missed by her two children Barnaby and Lottie, and grandchildren Daisy, Oscar, Olive and Toby.

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#23 Post by ian16th » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:33 pm

R.I.P.
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#24 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:29 am

RIP John Prine
In the early 1970s, when the rock world was desperately searching for the “new Dylan”, John Prine might have been the serious music press’s leading contender – this was largely based on a debut album so packed with brilliance it took your breath away (and still does – as a listen this morning demonstrated yet again), and then two more albums which revealed that there were plenty more utterly memorable songs where those first ones had come from – soon enough, though, it became clear that Prine was, rather than being the new anybody else, a true original with a singing and songwriting voice that was both instantly recognisable and unshakeably memorable, and, over a career that eventually took in around twenty albums culminating in 2018’s The Tree Of Forgiveness, without a doubt one of the greatest songwriters of our, and perhaps anyone else’s, time. Ironically, the 2007 album he made with bluegrass veteran Mac Wiseman, Standard Songs For Average People, was a collection of country music covers … ironically, because the title pretty much summed up the way Prine himself wrote, except that those standard songs very often turned out to be extraordinary … but they were always for and about ordinary people. He had several songs that referenced death and dying, even early in his career – Paradise, Please Don’t Bury Me, He Was In Heaven Before He Died, Your Flag Decals Won’t Get You Into Heaven Anymore and so on, but it’s the last line of the last verse of the last song on his last album that might best sum up his approach to life – referencing no doubt his longstanding and ongoing health issues as well as some advice he allegedly got from his father, the line is, “When you’re dead, you’re dead pecker dead – I hope to prove ’em wrong when I get to heaven.”
- Richard Haslop - Lawyer & Muso Extraodinaire

There’s a full obituary here: https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertai ... story.html

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:56 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:58 pm

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Capetonian

#27 Post by Capetonian » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:15 pm

I'm truly saddened to read that. In my younger days I was a keen follower of all forms of motor sport, before it became as boring as f*ck and formulaic, when the drivers were gentlemen, like Sir Stirling Moss, Graham Hill, Jim Clark and others, mostly no longer with us. One of the earliest books to have impressed me was his autobiography, All But My Life, given to me by a once valued friend.

I believe he was a very distant relative on my mother's side, but there is no surviving family on that side. If he was a relative on my my mother's side, he was the only civilised one as those I remember were a bunch of ignorant savages.

"It was one lap too many, he just closed his eyes," his wife said.

If ever anyone deserved the title of Sports Personality of the Year, and an OBE, it was he.

Rest in Peace, Sir Stirling.

Capetonian

#28 Post by Capetonian » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:47 pm

Hot on his heels ......... Actor and comedian Tim Brooke-Taylor- best known for The Goodies and I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue - dies from coronavirus aged 79.

A name I knew but had no idea what he did.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#29 Post by Woody » Sun Apr 12, 2020 2:32 pm

Peter Bonetti has shuffled off this mortal coil as well :((

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52261413
When all else fails, read the instructions.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#30 Post by ian16th » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:29 pm

Lee Konitz a rather exceptional alto-sax player.

This EP is in my collection, from way, way back.

Cynicism improves with age

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#31 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:36 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop ... 1-n1185581
ULTURE MATTERS
Brian Dennehy, veteran actor known for roles in 'Tommy Boy' and 'First Blood,' dies at 81
"Larger than life, generous to a fault, a proud and devoted father and grandfather, he will be missed by his wife Jennifer, family and many friends," his daughter said.
Image: Brian Dennehy
Brian Dennehy during the Broadway opening night performance of 'Love Letters' at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre on Sept. 18, 2014 in New York City.Walter McBride / WireImage file
April 16, 2020, 10:46 AM MST / Updated April 16, 2020, 12:34 PM MST
By David K. Li
Veteran actor Brian Dennehy died Wednesday night from natural causes that were not coronavirus-related, his daughter announced Thursday.

He was 81.

"Larger than life, generous to a fault, a proud and devoted father and grandfather, he will be missed by his wife Jennifer, family and many friends," Elizabeth Dennehy posted in a statement on Twitter.

Elizabeth Dennehy
@dennehyeliza
It is with heavy hearts we announce that our father, Brian passed away last night from natural causes, not Covid-related. Larger than life, generous to a fault, a proud and devoted father and grandfather, he will be missed by his wife Jennifer, family and many friends.

View image on Twitter
9:48 AM - Apr 16, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
8,421 people are talking about this
The barrel-chested, prolific actor had many movie roles, including in “Tommy Boy,” “First Blood” and “Cocoon,” but won acclaim on stage, particularly for “Death of a Salesman” on Broadway in 1999.

He won another best actor Tony in 2003 for "Long Day's Journey into Night."

In addition to those two Tony Awards, Dennehy took life’s final bow with one Golden Globe win, a SAG Award and five Emmy nominations.

Broadway giant Lin-Manuel Miranda said he'll always remember Dennehy's "heartbreaking" portrayal of Willy Loman in "Death of a Salesman."

"Was lucky enough to see Brian Dennehy twice on stage, masterful in Love Letters, and monumentally heartbreaking in Death Of A Salesman. A colossus. What a loss," the "Hamilton" writer and actor tweeted.

Dennehy, who stood 6-foot-3, often played figures of authority with a stubborn streak.

He skillfully played small-town sheriff Will Teasle in "Rambo," showing no sensitivity to a troubled veteran played by Sylvester Stallone.

The larger-than-life actor also captured the intense, single-mindedness of Indiana University basketball coach Bobby Knight in the movie adaptation of "A Season on the Brink."

Tributes to him included a post from screenwriter and TV producer Dan Fogelman, who wrote: "A writing question I commonly get is 'do you picture an actor as you are writing a character?' Even though I never worked with him, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve imagined Brian Dennehy in my mind’s eye as I write something. A true powerhouse actor."

Despite Dennehy's serious stage bona fides, he may be best known to much of the movie-going public as Big Tom, the father of Chris Farley's Tommy in the 1995 comedy "Tommy Boy."

"So sad this wonderful man has passed," Peter Segal, director of "Tommy Boy," tweeted. "Brian was a kind, gentle person with incredible talent. I will miss Big Tom Callahan."

Mia Farrow

@MiaFarrow
Just devastated to learn that the magnificent Brian Dennehy has died. They is no one i enjoyed working with more. And there are few friends as valued in my life. I took this photo backstage when we were in Love Letters. He loved my pup Bowie.

View image on Twitter
10:28 AM - Apr 16, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
699 people are talking about this
Actress Mia Farrow posted a picture of her puppy enjoying quality backstage time with the "magnificent" Dennehy when they were in "Love Letters."

"Just devastated to learn that the magnificent Brian Dennehy has died," she wrote. "And there are few friends as valued in my life."

I liked him in "Silverado".

PP

izod tester
Capt
Capt

#32 Post by izod tester » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:38 am

This news this morning is that Norman Hunter will not be biting any more legs. He was 76.

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#33 Post by 4mastacker » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:16 pm

I watched Hunter a few times when Leeds played at the Toon. Bloody scary..... and I was standing on the terraces.

Good player though. RIP.
It's always my fault - SWMBO

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#34 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:00 am

Danny Williams RIP
He grew up under apartheid in Port Elizabeth, where he sang his first solo with a church choir at the age of six. His father, a professional soldier, died in the Korean war, and Williams was brought up by his grandmother. At 14, he won a talent contest and joined a touring show called Golden City Dixies that played throughout South Africa. Its members included jazz saxophonist Harold Jephtah and, in later years, the singer-songwriter Jonathan Butler.

The musical King Kong and the Golden City Dixies were among several black South African shows to come to Europe; and, in London in 1959, Williams impressed Norman Newell, the recording manager of EMI's HMV label. Newell was a composer and arranger of the Tin Pan Alley old school, and was unhappy at being the British executive responsible for issuing Elvis Presley's early hits. In Williams' good looks and mellifluous high tenor, he saw the makings of a new Johnny Mathis, and signed him to a recording contract. The first single was Tall a Tree, but it was not until 1961 and his fifth record, We will Never Be as Young as this Again, that Williams achieved a minor hit.

That was also the year of the Blake Edwards film Breakfast at Tiffany's, starring Audrey Hepburn. The film's catchy theme tune, Moon River, composed by Henry Mancini with lyrics by Johnny Mercer, won an Qscar. The American hit record of Moon River was by another tenor, the soul singer Jerry Butler, and, at first, Williams was unwilling to record the song - mainly, he later explained, because he did not understand the lyric reference to "my huckleberry friend".
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2005/d ... ries.film1

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#35 Post by Woody » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:22 pm

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#36 Post by Wodrick » Wed May 06, 2020 9:07 am

Millie,

RIP
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#37 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed May 06, 2020 5:32 pm

RIP Florian Schneider, who as one of the founding members of German group Kraftwerk changed the sound of pop music forever, has died aged 73 of cancer. The news was confirmed to the Guardian by one of his musical collaborators, who said Schneider had died a week ago and had a private burial.
Obituary...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#38 Post by Boac » Wed May 06, 2020 6:05 pm

Yes, a major step in the development of music.

ribrash

#39 Post by ribrash » Wed May 06, 2020 6:16 pm

OFSO...Was he abused online once too often ?

Capetonian

#40 Post by Capetonian » Wed May 06, 2020 7:38 pm

He was, and whilst I am reluctant to get involved in someone else's fight, I will say that the abuse that was given to him was utterly inappropriate and uncalled for. OFSO, being the gentleman he is, made a dignified and short reply and has not been seen since. I think it is a great pity.