Departed during 2020

Lost forever.
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Departed during 2020

#61 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:06 pm

RIP Bonnie Pointer...
I’m the kind of person who likes to do adventurous, new things,” said the singer Bonnie Pointer in 1979. “It’s got to be a challenge for me to go forward because I don’t like to be stuck into just one thing.”

Pointer, who has died aged 69 of cardiac arrest, was not afraid to leave her siblings in the Pointer Sisters in 1977 and strike out on a solo career, signing a deal with Motown. This brought her a hit single in 1978 with Heaven Must Have Sent You – a sleek disco remake of The Elgins’ original – which reached No 11 on the US mainstream pop chart.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... es-aged-69

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#62 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:34 am

Ricky Valance has died age 84. The first Welshman to have a solo UK Number One with "Tell Laura I Love Her" in 1960. A haunting song, for some reason the BBC initially banned it!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#63 Post by tango15 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:24 am

I confess to never realising before that he was Welsh. For some reason I always thought he was American.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#64 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:59 pm

RIP Keith Tippett......
When his daughter Inca was small, Keith Tippett overheard her saying that her father was a “mujician”. It was a title he appropriated for an outstanding series of solo piano recordings, but it fitted most of the things he did during a long and varied career. If Tippett was on the bandstand, in whatever musical context, however spontaneous or prepared, magic was likely to occur.
Married Julie Driscoll.

Obituary

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#65 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:50 pm

Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#66 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:11 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:50 pm
Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben

PP
I had some of Uncle Ben's fine rice yesterday afternoon...

Ze world, she iz going mad Carruthers...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#67 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:47 am

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#68 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:01 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:47 am
Dame Vera.

Almost too claggy to see those White Cliffs today...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#69 Post by Boac » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 am

A great innings.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#70 Post by Wodrick » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:16 am

+1 and I think still marbled .......
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#71 Post by ian16th » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:28 pm

+ 1 more.
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#72 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:19 pm

Missed this. Shame on me... RIP Manu Dibango!

Obituary

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#73 Post by G-CPTN » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:53 pm

Margarita Pracatan.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#74 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:33 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:53 pm
Margarita Pracatan.
So soon after Clive James...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#75 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:54 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:53 pm
Margarita Pracatan.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... n-obituary
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#76 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:18 pm

Also moved on this year. RIP Mr Withers... you done good in life!

Bill Withers

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#77 Post by PHXPhlyer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:25 pm

RIP Carl Reiner o:-)
A Very Funny Man
(*)
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/co ... s-n1232519

U.S. NEWS
Comedy legend Carl Reiner, of 'The Dick Van Dyke Show' and 'The Jerk,' dies at 98
The director, actor and writer of such hits as "2000 Year Old Man," was among the world's most revered funnymen.

Remembering legendary actor and comedian Carl Reiner, dead at 98
JUNE 30, 202002:20
June 30, 2020, 7:23 AM MST / Updated June 30, 2020, 9:35 AM MST
By David K. Li, Mohammed Syed and Donna Mendell
Comedy legend Carl Reiner, one of the earliest stars of television who made an indelible mark on the small screen, Broadway and film, has died, loved ones said Tuesday.

He was 98.

Reiner was inducted into the Emmy Hall of Fame in 1999, and before that had taken home multiple Emmys, primarily for his work on "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "Caesar's Hour."

His last win was in 1995 for outstanding guest actor in a comedy, on NBC's "Mad About You."

"Last night my dad passed away," his son and fellow comedy giant Rob Reiner said in a statement Tuesday. "As I write this my heart is hurting. He was my guiding light."

Reiner died of natural causes his home in Beverly Hills, California, his assistant Judy Nagy said.

carl reiner

@carlreiner
Nothing pleases me more than knowing that I have lived the best life possible by having met & marrying the gifted Estelle (Stella) Lebost---who partnered with me in bringing Rob, Annie & Lucas Reiner into to this needy & evolving world.

4:32 PM - Jun 27, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
9,449 people are talking about this
The comedy icon might have known he was in failing health on Saturday, when he tweeted fondly about his life.

“Nothing pleases me more than knowing that I lived the best life possible,” Reiner wrote. He gave thanks to his late “gifted” wife, Estelle Reiner, and their three children.

Dick Van Dyke on Tuesday posted a recent photo of him and his old friend on Instagram, calling Reiner a "100% pure mensch."

"We love you so much," Van Dyke added.

Reiner was a star of early TV with material that will likely still be funny 2,000 years from now. His bestselling album, "2,000 Year Old Man,", was based on his comedy routine with Mel Brooks.

Reiner PortraitComedian Carl Reiner in 1955.Michael Ochs Archives / Getty Images file
In that famous 1975 album, Reiner plays an interviewer asking questions of a 2,000-year-old Brooks. The straight man Reiner quizzes Brooks on all sorts of topics in life, with improvisational answers that went down in comedy history.

Even in his final days, Reiner still managed to stay socially relevant. To celebrate Brooks’ 94th birthday, the pair donned Black Lives Matter T-shirts in a photo with Reiner’s daughter, Annie.

That picture may have been on the mind of actress Rosanna Arquette when on Tuesday she tweeted a clenched fist and the message: “Rest in Peace and power Carl Reiner.” Arquette expressed “gratitude for all the laughter you have given us through the years.”

"Two and a Half Men" star Jon Cryer called Reiner a “brilliant and hilarious” role model and recalled the time he took the veteran’s place as host of the “Directors Guild of America Awards” in 2009. Cryer posted a picture of a hilarious letter Reiner sent him after the latter couldn’t make the gig due to health issues.

“I thank you for filling in for me tonight,” Reiner typed. “I wish with all my heart that you fail, or if you don’t, that you are no more than adequate. I don’t want to have to compete with you for this non-paying job.”

Jon Cryer

@MrJonCryer
The brilliant and hilarious Carl Reiner hosted the Director’s Guild awards for decades before his health forced him to take the night off.

They asked me to sub in for him. Here’s the letter he sent me:#RIPCarlReiner

View image on Twitter
John Aravosis 🇺🇸🇬🇷🏳️‍🌈

@aravosis
Carl Reiner Dead at 98 https://www.tmz.com/2020/06/30/carl-rei ... dyke-show/ … via @TMZ

6:48 AM - Jun 30, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy
2,807 people are talking about this
Reiner’s wit boldly took American comedy where no man had gone before: “Condolences to the family of Carl Reiner,” “Star Trek” icon William Shatner wrote Tuesday. ”From the writers room of Sid Caesar to recreating those times for the Dick Van Dyke show, Carl was a master at his craft.”

Not only was Reiner one of the latter 20th century’s great comedic minds, he helped other comics.

Reiner directed the 1979 comedy “The Jerk,” which sent standup comedian Steve Martin to new heights of fame.

“Carl Reiner came into the mix and gave it heart and gave it shape and we became very very close friends,” Martin told an American Film Institute audience in 2009, celebrating the movie’s 30th birthday.

“He was like a father to me — although I wouldn’t let him bathe me like he wanted to.”

Reiner was born on March 20, 1922, in the Bronx, New York, to his watchmaker father, Irving Reiner, and mother, Bessie.

His older brother Charles first introduced him to acting, through a workshop put on by the Works Progress Administration, a federal agency launched during the Great Depression.

Reiner appeared in "As You Like It," "The Taming of the Shrew," "Comedy of Errors" and "Hamlet" with the Avon Shakespearean Touring Company.

His acting career went on temporary hiatus due to World War II as he joined the Army Signal Corp. He trained as a radio operator, but was instead tabbed to travel around the Pacific as part of Maurice Evans' Special Entertainment Unit to entertain his fellow servicemen.

Back home after the war, Reiner worked on Broadway and scored his first TV credit in 1948 with a 13-week run of the comedy "The Fashion Story."

“It’s hysterically bad," a smiling Reiner told The Television Academy in a 1999 interview. The show came at a time when "television was just starting to capture the world."

"When you're young and you have all your hair and you look different ... I was OK."

He eventually caught the eye of comedian Sid Caesar, who hired Reiner in 1950 for his popular NBC sketch series, "Your Show of Shows."

He performed and wrote alongside other future comedy icons like Brooks, Neil Simon, Danny Simon and Larry Gelbart.

Reiner went to another NBC sketch comedy show with Caesar, “Caesar’s Hour,” that garnered him his first two Emmy Awards with supporting acting honors in 1957 and 1958.

Reiner became a bona fide star when he created "The Dick Van Dyke Show," making TV icons out of stars Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Rose Marie and Morey Amsterdam.

The show focused on the home and work life of Van Dyke’s character, a lead comedy writer for the fictitious “The Alan Brady Show.” Reiner played the boss, Brady, while Van Dyke and Moore played Rob and Laura Petrie, whose storylines were based loosely on Reiner's experiences working in television.

Reiner won or shared in seven Emmy Awards for his “Van Dyke” work.

“The 'Van Dyke Show' is probably the most thrilling of my accomplishments because that was very, very personal,” Reiner told the Los Angeles Times in 1993. “It was about me and my wife, living in New Rochelle and working on the Sid Caesar Show.”

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#78 Post by Karearea » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:29 am

Carl Reiner was a very funny man, indeed. I enjoyed The Dick Van Dyke Show and the "2000 Year Old Man", and also his appearance in The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are coming - trailer here, 4:28

And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#79 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:14 am

Ryo Kawasaki! RIP... missed this one, shame on me.
Ryo Kawasaki (川崎 燎, Kawasaki Ryō, February 25, 1947 – April 13, 2020) was a Japanese jazz fusion guitarist, composer and band leader, best known as one of the first musicians to develop and popularise the fusion genre and for helping to develop the guitar synthesizer in collaboration with Roland Corporation and Korg. His album Ryo Kawasaki and the Golden Dragon Live was one of the first all-digital recordings and he created the Kawasaki Synthesizer for the Commodore 64. During the 1960s, he played with various Japanese jazz groups and also formed his own bands. In the early 1970s, he moved to New York City, where he settled and worked with Gil Evans, Elvin Jones, Chico Hamilton, Ted Curson, Joanne Brackeen amongst others. In the mid-1980s, Kawasaki drifted out of performing music in favour of writing music software for computers. He also produced several techno dance singles, formed his own record company called Satellites Records, and later returned to jazz-fusion in 1991.
Ryo Kawasaki

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot