Departed during 2021

Lost forever.
TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

RIP Sir Clive Sinclair 2

#261 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:52 pm

What a lovely interview and such a nice lady...

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Departed during 2021

#262 Post by ian16th » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:11 pm

No mention of his audio amplifiers?
Cynicism improves with age

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#263 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:32 pm

ian16th wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:11 pm
No mention of his audio amplifiers?
The Sinclair Amplifiers
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#264 Post by Boac » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:51 pm

I still have a Sinclair 'Enterprise' Programmable - yes, a whole 79 programmable steps!!!! It came with 3 libraries of programmes from Physics and Engineering, Finance and Stats and Maths and its power pack.

I started with a Cambridge in '74, I think, and finally went into the Spectrum in '82. When I think how far we have come since 1977 in hand-helds..............

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#265 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:57 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:51 pm
I still have a Sinclair 'Enterprise' Programmable - yes, a whole 40 programmable steps!!!! It came with 3 libraries of programmes from Physics and Engineering, Finance and Stats and Maths and its power pack.

I started with a Cambridge in '74, I think, and finally went into the Spectrum in '82. When I think how far we have come since 1977 in hand-helds..............
Started off with the NewBrain in 1981 and now I need a new brain! ;)))

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grundy_NewBrain
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#266 Post by llondel » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:55 pm

His RAM pack finally wobbled off.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#267 Post by FD2 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:57 pm

Jane Powell My big crush when I was a little boy after watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.

I watched some numbers from it recently and was struck by what an outcry it would cause today, with seven redneck boys kidnapping seven girls from town!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Powell

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/ ... ime-seven/

Jane Powell, sunny star of MGM musicals who had the role of a lifetime in Seven Brides fo[...].png
Jane Powell, sunny star of MGM musicals who had the role of a lifetime in Seven Brides fo[...].png (504.46 KiB) Viewed 848 times

Powell in 1948

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#268 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:54 pm

Boycie has died……
Only Fools and Horses actor John Challis dies https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58617114
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#269 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:37 pm

I sold my Cambridge. Oxford and Enterprise a couple of years back. I had exchanged of of his first calculators for the Oxford.

The first model had no memory just the 4 functions. Cost £79 and a five year guarantee. I changed it a couple of times before I got the Oxford. It used 4 hearing air batteries that cost 75p and lasted jus a few days.

You sent off the U/S one and got the new one with your original letter date/time stamped. No idea what records they kept.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#270 Post by FD2 » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:50 pm

Why can't they make comedy shows like that any more?

The cast, after Grandad died in 1984:

The Original Cast.png
The Original Cast.png (573.65 KiB) Viewed 797 times

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#271 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:30 pm

Oh Marleen! =))

Must admit she had a certain "je ne sais stonk"...

Mr Challis was brilliant in his roll as Boycie.

In real life he was very well spoken and not at all like Boycie at all. I guess that's why they call it acting.

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#272 Post by G-CPTN » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:18 am

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#273 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:15 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:18 am
Howard from Last of the Summer Wine
Howard outlived his fancy lady Marina (Jean Fergusson)...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50431493

_109679556_marina_howard..jpg
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#274 Post by Woody » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:03 pm

Alan Lancaster, bass player of Status Quo.

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#275 Post by Woody » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:27 am

RIP “Sir” Roger :(
Liverpool FC is mourning the passing of legendary former player Roger Hunt.

Hunt, the club’s second-highest goalscorer of all time with 285 goals in 492 appearances, passed away peacefully at home following a long illness on Monday evening. He was 83.

A World Cup winner with England in 1966, Hunt joined the Reds from nearby amateur team Stockton Heath as a 20-year-old in July 1958 and spent 11-and-a-half hugely successful years at Anfield.

His overall tally of 285 goals for the Reds stood as a record until Ian Rush surpassed it in 1992. No player has ever scored more league goals for Liverpool than Hunt’s total of 244, however.
When all else fails, read the instructions.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#276 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:40 pm

George Frayne, roots rocker known as Commander Cody, dies at 77

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... story.html

The name George Frayne may not ring a bell, but his alter ego, a glib, piano-pounding bandleader named Commander Cody, became a minor rock star of the early 1970s, fast-talking his way through a pair of unlikely hits, “Hot Rod Lincoln” and “Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette).”

He and his band, the Lost Planet Airmen, created an original mix of country music, jump blues, rockabilly and boogie that made them one of the most roguishly entertaining good-time bands of their era.

Mr. Frayne, who continued to perform as Commander Cody long after the Airmen were grounded, died Sept. 26 at his home in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. He was 77.

The cause was esophageal cancer, said Steve Barbuto, his longtime drummer and manager.

Mr. Frayne’s musical career began in the early 1960s after meeting a guitarist, John Tichy, a fellow student at the University of Michigan. Tichy recognized Mr. Frayne’s “dynamic personality” and his skill as a boogie-woogie pianist who could play driving rhythmic patterns with his left hand while playing melodic figures and accents with his right hand. Together, they played in a variety groups at fraternity parties, developing a raucous, headlong style that became Mr. Frayne’s hallmark.

“We didn’t think of appealing to anybody,” he told Rolling Stone magazine in 1970. “We were just having a good time, picking and playing and making a few dollars on the side.”

Besides rock-and-roll, Mr. Frayne and his bandmates began to listen to country music by Buck Owens and the Texas swing of Bob Wills and added their songs to their repertoire.

Commander Cody performs during a 2013 music festival in Indio, Calif.
Commander Cody performs during a 2013 music festival in Indio, Calif. (Paul A. Hebert/Invision/AP)
“The songs were simple, it was easy to catch the hook, and it was easy to sing along,” Mr. Frayne told the Allentown (Pa.) Morning Call in 2005.

“As you probably know, it’s not manly to practice,” he added, “so we’d get a bottle of whiskey and get in our ’49 Cadillac hearse with a surf board on top, and listen to songs on 45-rpm records on the way to the gigs. That was how we learned them.”

By 1967, Mr. Frayne had come up with a new name for the band, derived from a series of short science fiction films of the early 1950s, “Commando Cody,” and a 1951 sci-fi movie called “Lost Planet Airmen.” The slightly altered combination, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, became one of the more memorable band names in rock history.

In the late 1960s, one of the guitarists, Bill Kirchen, moved to the San Francisco Bay area and invited some of his old compatriots to join him. Mr. Frayne gave up a job teaching art at a college in Wisconsin and headed west.

“I got into the car with our singer and bass player and got to California on June 4, 1969,” he told the Morning Call. “By August we were opening for the Grateful Dead.”

At a time when folk rock and acid rock were popular, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen had a bracingly original throwback style, playing souped-up honky-tonk and rockabilly songs from the 1940s and ’50s, delivered with a touch of counterculture irony.

There were eight members, including a pedal steel guitar player and musicians who could play the fiddle, saxophone and trombone, not to mention Mr. Frayne’s roaring Jerry Lee Lewis-flavored piano. Four different members sang lead vocals, with Mr. Frayne specializing in tunes that didn’t require him to carry a tune.

“At that time I couldn’t sing a note really, but I could talk fast,” he told Rolling Stone.

The group’s debut album, “Lost in the Ozone” (1971), featured Mr. Frayne in a rebuilt version of an obscure 1955 rockabilly tune by Charlie Ryan about highway racing called “Hot Rod Lincoln”:

We had flames comin’ from out of the side.

Feel the tension. Man! What a ride!

I said, “Look out, boys, I’ve got a license to fly!”

And that Caddy pulled over and let us by.

But in the driver’s moment of triumph, he looks in the mirror and sees “a red light . . . blinkin’ / The cops was after my Hot Rod Lincoln!”

The tale ends with the driver’s father bailing him out of jail, saying, “Son, you’re gonna drive me to drinkin’ / If you don’t stop drivin’ that Hot . . . Rod . . . Lincoln!”

The song reached the Billboard Top 10 and made the Airmen something of a sensation.

“Overnight, we got a following with the fans and favorable press,” guitarist Tichy said in an interview. “We caught a wave.”

The group had a few other minor hits, including “Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette)” (1973), in which Mr. Frayne approached a novelty song from the 1940s as if it were a proto-rap monologue. In 1974, the Airmen released “Live From Deep in the Heart of Texas,” considered one of the decade’s finest live albums, before breaking up two years later.

“We were Americana and alt-country about 20 years before that was even a label,” said Tichy, who left the band to become a professor of aerospace and nuclear engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y. “In our little way, we changed the course of our kind of music.”

George William Frayne IV was born July 19, 1944, in Boise, Idaho. He grew up on Long Island, N.Y., where he was a lifeguard and track athlete in high school. Both parents were artists.

Mr. Frayne studied sculpture and painting at the University of Michigan, receiving a bachelor’s degree in 1966 and a master of fine arts degree in 1968.

“I’m probably the only musician who actually stayed in art school,” he quipped. (He also noted that, during his years in Ann Arbor, “I was the main pot dealer for the University of Michigan.”)

He taught at Michigan and the University of Wisconsin at Oshkosh before pursuing a musical career. After the Airmen broke up, Mr. Frayne continued to perform as Commander Cody as a solo act. He appeared several times on David Letterman’s late-night talk shows, formed a new band and occasionally reunited with members of the Lost Planet Airmen, , including Kirchen, a standout guitarist who lived in the Washington area for several years. Mr. Frayne released his final album, “Live From Electric City,” in 2019.

His first marriage, to Sara Rice, ended in divorce. Survivors include his wife of 10 years, Sue Casanova of Saratoga Springs; and a stepdaughter.

Throughout his life as a musician, Mr. Frayne had a second career as an artist. His paintings — often featuring portraits of musicians — were exhibited at galleries from London to Tokyo. In 2009, he published a book of his artwork, “Art, Music & Life.”

“Music isn’t the best thing I do, but it’s the most fun thing I do,” he said.

Asked in 2009 whether he regretted quitting his job as a college professor to follow a life in rock-and-roll, Mr. Frayne said: “It was worth it! It was worth it, holy mackerel! Berkeley California and San Francisco in ’69, ’70, ’71, are you kidding me? That was the definition of fun.”

I was fortunate to see him twice, late Seventies or early Eighties, when he was so out of it he had to be lead to and from the piano and was only good for one set. :-o
Same him again about ten years later after he had cleaned up his act. A much better show. :-bd :YMAPPLAUSE:

RIP CC

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#277 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:43 pm

Two more of my favorites from "The Old Commander"

and a full show.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#278 Post by llondel » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:40 am

The Danish chap, Lars Vilks, who upset the Muslim world with his cartoons has died in a traffic accident. I guess he's finding out for himself what the afterlife thought of his drawings.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58783998

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#279 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:30 am

llondel wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:40 am
The Danish chap, Lars Vilks, who upset the Muslim world with his cartoons has died in a traffic accident. I guess he's finding out for himself what the afterlife thought of his drawings.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58783998
There are no thoughts in the afterlife, no care for cartoons or religion, or anything else for that matter!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

ribrash

#280 Post by ribrash » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:48 am

There is no afterlife.