Departed during 2021

Lost forever.
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Departed during 2021

#221 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:26 pm

MRAF Sir Peter Hardings obit in the Telegraph. He died on the 19th. Probably in tomorrow's paper.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#222 Post by Undried Plum » Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:47 pm

Sir Shag-Nasty-****-Hard-On also gets an obit in the Max Clifford ToryGraph.

Imagine that.

Please don't.

Please don't subscribe to the paper either.

Urine is hygroscopic in ashes. In his case, many are glad of that.

In both of those cases, actually.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#223 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:13 pm

Don Everly, half of the rock and roll Everly Brothers duo, dies at 84

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/mus ... 4-n1277409

Don Everly, half of the rock and roll Everly Brothers duo, dies at 84
The Rock and Roll Hall of Famer died at home in Nashville, Tennessee, on Saturday, his family said.

Everly died at home in Nashville, Tennessee, on Saturday, his attorney and family spokesperson Linda Edell Howard told the Associated Press.

“Don lived by what he felt in his heart. Don expressed his appreciation for the ability to live his dreams ... with his soulmate and wife, Adela, and sharing the music that made him an Everly Brother,” the family said in a statement.

Everly was born in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky in 1937 to a coal mining father and a mother who loved to sing. Everly and his brother Phil began making music with their parents, originally singing as the Everly Family.

In the 1950s, the two brothers began making music on their own and moved to Nashville. Their first hit, “Bye Bye Love,” reached number one on the country charts and sold more than a million copies.

From there, the brothers career soared, touring with Buddy Holly in the 1950s and signing with Warner Brothers in 1960. Soon, their songs "Cathy's Clown," "When Will I Be Loved" and "Cryin' in the Rain” became major hits and they solidified their spot in the rock and roll world.

The two went solo in the 1970s, where Don Everly saw slight success, and the pair repeatedly broke up and then got back together. The brothers were among the first class inaugurated into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

“As a singer, a songwriter and a guitar innovator, Don Everly was one of the most talented and impactful artists in popular music history,” Kyle Young, CEO of the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum, told the AP in a statement.

After his brother Phil’s death in 2014, Don Everly endorsed Hillary Clinton for president in 2016, saying he was held back previously by Phil’s opposing political beliefs.

Everly is survived by his mother, his wife, his son, and his daughters, according to The Los Angeles Times.

PP

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#224 Post by FD2 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:24 pm

pp See previous pages

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#225 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:33 pm

Doh! :-o #-o
Missed that last part of the previous page while I was fighting with Chrome to make YouTube work. ~X(

PP

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#226 Post by FD2 » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:40 pm

Don’t tear your hair out pp!!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#227 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:43 pm

FD2 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:40 pm
No thoughts of that. ^#(^
Not even close. :))

PP

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#228 Post by Smeagol » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:25 pm

This gent was a fellow member of a golfing society I belong to. He was most unassuming and was just 'Rocky' to fellow members.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/ ... perations/

http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/de ... 97/goodall
We hates Bagginses!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#229 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:24 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:47 pm
Sir Shag-Nasty-****-Hard-On also gets an obit in the Max Clifford ToryGraph.
He became Chief of the Defence Staff in December 1992 but resigned after his affair with Lady (Bienvenida) Buck
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Har ... born_1933)

You must admit that even her name has/had a certain primal promise! =))

He seems to have rocketed up, and then down, the greasy pole (no rude comments about Bienvenida) like some seem to do in many milieus, but what one doesn't get any sense of from his Wiki entry is was he any cop as a "real" officer, one that his fellow officers and men and women of all ranks would have rated, respected and followed? Was he a mensch when one discounts the schlong?

For those who can't read my subtle, discreet Bienvenida link from that period... =))
MAIN CLAIM: Self-styled femme fatale from Spain with an extremely silly name. Following her 1994 kiss 'n' tell about her affair with Sir Peter Harding, married Chief of Defence Staff during the Gulf War, Ms Bienvenida Buck left her adopted London for Marbella, where she busied herself collecting stray dogs. However, the doughty glittering one is now back, resident in St John's Wood with yet another fiance. "I am marrying Eduardo [Jimeno - he's a Spanish businessman] on Monday," she has publicly purred. "It will be very intimate - we don't want a circus." Also claims to be writing a book to help women develop self-esteem, something she obviously has no problem with.

APPEARANCE: Air hostess in 1982 airline advertising poster. Comprehensive school drama teacher playing good-time girl/society miss/flapper in The Boyfriend, costumes provided by parents, lighting by the fifth form. Publican's wife with a taste for pink champagne.

CAFE CReME: Ms Buck is entirely, and extremely feebly, famous for being famous. Hiring Max Clifford, the patron saint of fame-hungry under-achievers, in 1994, she promptly sold the story of her seminal fling with Sir Peter Harding, wrecked his career, and treated a pretty much indifferent public to revelations of their bedtime Nato discussions in London hotels. Her enthusiastic dedication to matters in the public interest also ended her first marriage to Sir Anthony Buck, a Tory MP thirtysomething years her senior. Thus our adventuress became a bit player in that tiresome phenomenon, London cafe society. See also Lady Colin Campbell and Mona Bauwens for two other blondes who really shouldn't be.

BUCK THE TREND: "The only short cut to eventual financial reward that I could envisage was to become a woman for a man who had already made a fortune and to use that relationship as a basis for meeting other successful people," explains Bienvenida in her autobiography, Bienvenida: the Making of a Modern Mistress. "A smile is the most important thing to wear," she cautions. "I've always been able to detach the physical side from emotion." La Buck, 41 the day after Valentine's, next married a Ruskie, Count Nicholas Sokolow, separating shortly thereafter. Who knows how long Eduardo will last? Lock up your fathers, girls.

HOME FRONT: "I was never really wanted as a child," explains Bienvenida, who was raised by foster parents in Valencia. She moved to London at 16, took a degree at St Godric's College, that little-known institution, and set about seducing older men.

FAME PROSPECTS: Kiss-and-tellers do not, as a rule, flourish, Bienvenida. Just look at "actress" Antonia de Sancha. Best bet is a cable TV show, The Buck Stops Here, followed by a foil-wrapped novel stylee entitled Shopping and Bucking. Failing that, there's always an affair with Robin Cook.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#230 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:03 am

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:43 pm
FD2 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:40 pm
No thoughts of that. ^#(^
Not even close. :))

PP
Remember that bald headed men are uptight... keep your hair on man!

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#231 Post by bob2s » Mon Aug 23, 2021 5:49 am

Tom T. Hall.dies at 85 he was also known as the Story Teller. A couple of his hit songs you may remember,

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#232 Post by FD2 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:02 am

PN - MRAF Sir Peter Hardings obit in the Telegraph. He died on the 19th. Probably in tomorrow's paper.

I am currently wading through 'The Inconvenient Truth' by David Hill about the cover up and blame game following the Mull of Kintyre Chinook crash. Harding got a glowing obituary in the Telegraph. Whether it was deserved or not I'll let you make your mind up about - reading this book might sway your opinion! I won't say further as I might let my temper get the better of me! It's a hard and lengthy read and extremely comprehensive, but worth the effort, imo. £3.99 on Kindle.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#233 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:38 am

All I shall say is we knew him as Sir Peter Hardup. I saw him in the club the following year in disguise. Thereafter, as a VSO friend said, he was Sir Peter Hardup with Beard.

Regarding FD2's remarks, I don't know his association with the Chinook inquiry. I believe the VVSO of whom I referred to yesterday, aka Bastard Bill (though I got on all right with him) was CinC STC and largely responsible too.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#234 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:54 am

FD2 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:02 am
PN - MRAF Sir Peter Hardings obit in the Telegraph. He died on the 19th. Probably in tomorrow's paper.

I am currently wading through 'The Inconvenient Truth' by David Hill about the cover up and blame game following the Mull of Kintyre Chinook crash. Harding got a glowing obituary in the Telegraph. Whether it was deserved or not I'll let you make your mind up about - reading this book might sway your opinion! I won't say further as I might let my temper get the better of me! It's a hard and lengthy read and extremely comprehensive, but worth the effort, imo. £3.99 on Kindle.
My questions were prompted by that book FD2. One does have to wonder about his judgement.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#235 Post by FD2 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:03 am

PN - He was chief of the air staff at the time.He must, even tacitly, have gone along with the cover up.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#236 Post by Boac » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:38 am

Just in case it hasn't already been said

"The Buck (doesn't) stop here"

That well-known expression about senior officers

"The men followed him, more because of curiosity than leadership" :))

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#237 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:00 am

FD2 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:03 am
PN - He was chief of the air staff at the time.He must, even tacitly, have gone along with the cover up.
Gentlemen, you are shooting the wrong target. Sir Peter resigned 3 months before the crash. Bill Watten became CinC Strike in 1994 after Richard Johns sudden death.
CAS at the time was Mike Graydon who was in post 1992-97.

In 1995 Wratten, a fast jet pilot, was the senior reviewing officer.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#238 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:45 am

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:00 am
FD2 wrote:
Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:03 am
Gentlemen, you are shooting the wrong target. Sir Peter resigned 3 months before the crash. Bill Watten became CinC Strike in 1994 after Richard Johns sudden death.
CAS at the time was Mike Graydon who was in post 1992-97.

In 1995 Wratten, a fast jet pilot, was the senior reviewing officer.
In context from the book...
CHART was commissioned by the RAF Chief Engineer, Air Marshal Sir Michael Alcock. Promoted to Air Chief Marshal in 1993, in April 1994 he assumed a dual role by becoming the head of this support organisation, now renamed Air Member Logistics. In the process, he became the first non-aircrew officer to sit on the Air Force Board. The other addressee was the Assistant Chief of the Air Staff, Air Vice Marshal (later Air Chief Marshal Sir) Anthony Bagnall who, in November 1993, signed the Mk2 Release to Service despite the aircraft still suffering from the failures noted in CHART. It is inconceivable he did not discuss this with the Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Peter Harding, and Harding’s successor Air Chief Marshal Sir Michael Graydon.
Hill, David; Blakeley, John. The Inconvenient Truth : Chinook ZD576 - Cause & Culpability . Nemesis Books. Kindle Edition.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#239 Post by FD2 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:59 am

He was in post when the Mk 2 was wrongly released for service. As GG has shown in that section of the book, it was inconceivable that Harding didn't know. I suggest a read, when it will become clearer - there's a lot of detail and scandal involved - from the top downwards. Harding was still serving when the blame was attributed to pilot error by the inquiry - not as I wrongly stated as CAS though, in my haste.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#240 Post by Pontius Navigator » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:43 pm

"Harding was still serving when the blame was attributed to pilot error by the inquiry,"

He had already resigned.

Knowing the "B word" aka "the Scottish Gp Capt" I would not be surprised if he would have been economical in his briefing. Harding had been CDS since 1992 and probably to remote at this point. As CAS before that he would be much dependent on his staffs.