Departed during 2021

Lost forever.
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Departed during 2021

#321 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:33 pm

Seventh Sojourn was playing seemingly non-stop whilst I was reading "The Lord of The Rings" trilogy and will forever be associated whenever I hear a song from that album.

PP

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#322 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:38 pm

Even before the movies captivated the music, it was captivating: to all of of us who heard it.

Need I give an example?

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#323 Post by Wodrick » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:40 pm

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#324 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:05 pm

Trip to the library upcoming to pick-up reserved DVDs of documentary and live performances. :-bd

PP

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#325 Post by Woody » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:32 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:20 pm
He was a goody like Albert Speer was a goody.

The bastard was a leading exponent of the hateful Apartheit regime for decades and only relented when he could see that the game was up.

Still, I suppose it's good that both Speer and de Klerk were allowed to die dignified deaths after long lives, unlike so many of their race-based victims.
Need to do some research about this character, but he’s in broad agreement with youUP

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafri ... k-20211112
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#326 Post by Boac » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:13 pm

One of the pax who flew in Blue Origin with Shatner has died in a crash.
"Entrepreneur Glen de Vries, 49, was flying in a Cessna 172 when it went down in northern New Jersey on Thursday, killing de Vries and Thomas Fischer, 54, who was also on board, authorities said."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#327 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:16 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:20 pm
He was a goody like Albert Speer was a goody.

The bastard was a leading exponent of the hateful Apartheit regime for decades and only relented when he could see that the game was up.

Still, I suppose it's good that both Speer and de Klerk were allowed to die dignified deaths after long lives, unlike so many of their race-based victims.
While De Klerk is certainly guilty of enforcing Apartheid as leading figure in the National Party, he was at least a pragmatist, who had the good sense to see that the system was untenable, and had the courage to start negotiating in the face of extreme resistance from his peers. To a degree anybody who voted for the Nationalists or their even more right wing clones like the Herstigte Nasionale Party and the other even more extreme splinter groups like the one run by Eugene Terreblanche, must feel some guilt in supporting the whole evil edifice. Even those like me, a white liberal (some here might call me a Lefty) who reviled the system and voted against the presiding orthodoxy, who benefited from the system despite their beliefs, must bear some responsibility for not doing enough to undo the system at the time. Of course what has resulted is almost as bad as what went before, for different reasons, and in different ways, but that is another story.

I don't think you can compare De Klerk with Nazi criminals like Speer. He deserves some credit as a man and a human being who had the courage and intellect to institute change. Rather pragmatists than idealists, or even saints methinks...
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

RIP Gerry Macro.

#328 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:33 pm

Gerry was a lovely bloke and not a word said here is untrue. Many years ago he noticed my execrable attempts to fold a 1:500,000 UK chart and taught me the Macro method. Always available for a chat and was a genuinely nice guy.

Gerry M.JPG
Gerry M.JPG (14.89 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
Stapleford pilots young and old pay tributes to Gerry Macro, following his recent death.

For more than 30 years Gerran Aviation, Gerry’s shop at Stapleford was the go-to place for essential pilot equipment – charts, logbooks, plotters, training manuals, as well as gifts
and sweet treats and much more.

Instructors, club members, students alike would call in for a chat, for aviation gossip and for Gerry’s avuncular advice especially when we were less than happy with our performance aloft or our landings. Tributes poured in following his death this autumn.

Gerry has been described by his flying friends as “wise, kind, and very sociable – a really nice man”. He had a great sense of humour and plenty of good anecdotes to share. He and his wife Jan were well known and well liked at Stapleford. Many of us would drop by for a chat even when we didn’t need a new chart – or a choc ice.

Gerry was an experienced pilot, who had had a share in a PA 28. When he retired from his job in the motor trade, he opened his shop, Gerran Aviation, which he continued to operate up to a couple of years ago. But it became much more than a shop and it established a reputation which extended beyond Stapleford.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#329 Post by FD2 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:58 am

Wilbur Smith, thriller writer, age 88.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ed-88.html

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#330 Post by Woody » Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:29 am

https://www.capetownetc.com/news/global ... -jUdw4rN30

PaWoody was particularly keen on his work :-bd

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#331 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:09 am

I saw him at the Ster Kinekor cinema in Pinelands at the premiere of Shout at the Devil. I remember thinking, as a callow teenager, how short he was but enjoyed his speech and the film of the book too.

I don't think he took himself too seriously. He was named after Wilbur Wright!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Bob Bondurant dies

#332 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:16 am

Renowned racing instructor Bob Bondurant (RIP)

Bob Bondurant, the founder of the world’s most-renowned racing driver school, has passed away at the age of 88.

Bondurant.JPG

The American, who trained Tom Cruise, Paul Newman and Christian Bale amongst others, was first a successful racing competitor himself, taking home GT honours from Le Mans and winning the World Sportscar Championship, before turning his hand to helping students refine their racing technique behind the wheel.

As the late Bondurant put it himself: “My life has been lived in two halves. The first was becoming a World Champion driver. The second was teaching the world to become champions.”

Born in Evanston, Illinois, Bondurant cut his teeth on two wheels, racing an Indian motorcycle on dirt ovals from the tender age of 14.

After being inducted into the Galloping Gooses (later to become the Hell’s Angels), he shifted over to four wheels in 1956, campaigning a Morgan Plus 4, before dominating the West Coast “B” production championship, dominating it by winning 18 out of 20 races in a Chevrolet Corvette.

Bondurant would be a force to be reckoned with over the coming seasons, winning 30 out of the 32 races he entered by 1961 and 1963.

1956 Le Mans-winner Carroll Shelby knew talent when he saw it, and hired Bondurant to race his new Shelby Cobra in 1963, winning the race he entered at Riverside.

More success would follow, culminating in a class win at Le Mans ’64 when partnered with Dan Gurney. He also came out on top in the 1965 World Sportscar Championship, in a category that was dominated by Ferrari 250 GTOs.

“Bob was right up there with the best, and our results showed it,” Gurney said.

That same year he moved into grand prix racing, but had already had a hair-raising brush with F1 when testing an ATS at Monza.

“By the end of an hour, I’d done it several times, and got the ‘In’ signal,” he told Nigel Roebuck in 1999. “I thought, ‘Well, who knows when I’ll be back here? I’m going to do it one more time’. As I went through a half shaft broke. I was doing about 150mph, and then the axle broke at the left rear. I went through the hedge backwards, and remember thinking, ‘Bondurant, you just wrote yourself off…’

The American survived relatively unscathed despite being thrown from his car, and was invited to drive a works Ferrari at the Watkins Glen round in 1965 after a typically Godfather-esque meeting with Enzo – he finished ninth on his F1 debut.

The next year Bondurant scored a gig in 1966 which possibly set him on the path to his racing school destiny, as he was a technical advisor on the Grand Prix film, training lead star James Garner to drive an F1 car.

Related article

Back in the real racing world that year, Bondurant took fourth at Monaco in a Team Chamaco Collect BRM before crashing at the infamous 1966 Belgian GP. It turned out to be a fortunate off, as the American and Graham Hill were on hand to pull Jackie Stewart from the wreck of his crashed BRM while the Scot lay trapped and covered in fuel.

This was the accident which led to Stewart on his F1 safety crusade, and a serious crash for Bondurant led to a similar motor sport epiphany.

When a steering column failed on his McLaren Can-Am car at Watkins Glen 1967, the American went off at 150mph at the Chute section. He sustained fractures all over his body, including two broken legs. Doctors informed him he would never walk again.

“God, I was at the height of my racing career,” he told Motor Trend in 2013. “What am I going to do now? All I know is racing. I’ve got to make a living somehow. Training the actors for Grand Prix felt good. I’ve got to learn how to walk somehow, and when I do, I’m going to start a school. I drew a steering wheel and put a number one in the centre, because I decided that it would be the number-one school in the world. That’s how it all started.”

The American did indeed make his racing business the number one in its field. After being based at various West Coast circuits, in 1990 it moved to its own purpose-built facility in Arizona. The largest driving school in the world, it featured a 15-turn 1.6mile circuit, eight-acre asphalt pad and over 100 vehicles.

Students could learn not only to race, but also undertake courses in police pursuit driving, evasive driving for bodyguards and stunt driving. As well as training the aforementioned Hollywood stars, he also instructed large numbers of NASCAR drivers looking to sharpen their road course skills.

The school ran until 2018 when a legal battle within his own family led to its assets being sold off, with Bondurant left to look for a new facility.

Bob Bondurant passed away on November 12, and is survived by his sixth wife Pat.
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... urant-dies

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/r ... vp-AAQHzvk
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#333 Post by Ex-Ascot » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:11 pm

'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#334 Post by prospector » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:32 am

Maybe someone who peruses these posts will know David Tressider. Ex Fleet Air Arm, and ended up in left seat QANTAS 747"s Passed away on or about 12th Nov, age I believe 86. RIP.I post this because David was from the U.K. but has been resident in New Zealand for some 15 years.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#335 Post by Woody » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:21 pm

Must admit to not knowing about this guy, but I’m sure others will have heard him.

https://www.news24.com/channel/the-juic ... w-20211117

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#336 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:44 pm

Woody wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:21 pm
Must admit to not knowing about this guy, but I’m sure others will have heard him.

https://www.news24.com/channel/the-juic ... w-20211117

Song originally made famous by Jan (Ralph John) Rabie en "Johannes Kerkorrel en sy Gereformeede Blues Band..."

If you start listening to this stuff then you deserve the "Crux Honoris Buitelander" and immediate South African citizenship! ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Peter Buck

#337 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:13 am

When I first saw the headline I immediately thought of this Peter Buck when it was in fact this fellow, the physicist, philanthropist and restaurateur who was deceased!
Restaurateur and philanthropist Peter Buck, who co-founded the multi-national fast-food restaurant franchise Subway, has died at the age of 90.

According to a statement from the company, Buck died on 18 November and his cause of death was not immediately revealed.

However, sources revealed to the New York Post that the billionaire founder had been ill for quite some time.

“We are deeply saddened by the passing of one of Subway’s founders, Dr Peter Buck,” Subway Chief Executive John Chidsey told the outlet in a statement.

“He was a shining example of a dedicated, hands-on leader, and an integral member of the Subway family.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... ml?src=rss

In my city days (or should that daze), I was very partial to Subway's food for a quick bite at lunchtime, but noted that every meal was followed by the equivalent of a hangover, and also noted that my BP was up. Dropped their fare and all returned to normal. I don't blame Subway entirely, they cater for the rushed lunches of the stressed wage slave, and their food is packed with salt, fat, sugars, artificial flavourings and preservatives, and the "Subway experience" is the apotheosis of an unhealthy lifestyle! I left that lifestyle and Subway behind and am all the healthier for it.

https://www.medicaldaily.com/subway-unh ... -be-245844

Nonetheless it seems Mr Buck was a good man and the world is probably a worse place for his passing. RIP.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

John Bashford - My mechanic, killed on the 26th of October

#338 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:08 pm

John, I am still struggling, killed in a freak motor cycle accident...You who were looking after your mom, and what about your dog...

I hate this month.

Both my brothers...

My aunt, and now you... FFS...

John, we met and spoke on the 26th... Mate, I miss you...
John ChristopherBASHFORD
It is with great sadness that we announce that John Bashford was tragically killed in a road accident on October 26th. He will be greatly missed by his devoted mum, Margaret, his brother Paul and his brother in law, Andy and all that knew him. Funeral Service is at Hall of Remembrance, 185 New London Road, Chelmsford CM2 0AE on Thursday 18th November at 10.30 am, followed by a private family only Interment at St Mary's Church, High Street, High Ongar CM5 9NQ . Family flowers only but donations are most welcome to Essex and Herts Air Ambulance in memory of John via https://funeral-notices.co.uk/notice/bashford/4990296
To those I abused in the wake of this *****, I apologize too!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#339 Post by Karearea » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:50 pm

^ sympathy to you, TGG.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#340 Post by FD2 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:03 pm

Colonel David Mitchell, led high-risk clandestine missions paddling canoes into enemy territory during the Indonesian Confrontation – obituary

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/ ... -paddling/

He pioneered a novel technique for exiting with canoes from a submarine while it remained submerged
By Telegraph Obituaries 21 November 2021 • 3:29pm
DM1.png
DM1.png (218.18 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
David Mitchell, RM

Colonel David Mitchell, who has died aged 92, was a Royal Marines officer who commanded No 2 Special Boat Section (2 SBS) in the Far East and pioneered new techniques of clandestine reconnaissance during the Konfrontasi.

Mitchell commanded 2SBS in 1964-65 when the Konfrontasi, a Communist-backed, Indonesian-led series of armed incursions intended to destabilise the newly formed Federation of Malaysia, was at its peak.

In early 1964, 2 SBS was sent to the border between Sarawak (part of the Federation) and Kalimantan (part of Indonesia-held Borneo), where Mitchell established a covert observation post and a base for patrols on Turtle island.

Between operations, he pioneered a novel technique for exiting with canoes from a submarine while it remained submerged, and in 1965 he applied 2 SBS’s new skills in a series of clandestine reconnaissance tasks on the enemy coast.

Since these operations were extremely sensitive, their planning and rehearsals had to be meticulous and leave nothing to chance. Over a three-month period, despite the difficulties of weather and tide, and the risk of detection, Mitchell led several secret operations, calling for courage and determination by all concerned.

Launching while underwater from the submarine Ambush, commanded by his friend, Lieutenant Commander Charles Baker, Mitchell and his marines successfully carried out their dangerous reconnaissance missions, despite having to close to within 30 yards of the enemy and their barking dogs, and to paddle silently up river into enemy territory.

One slip or false move would have prejudiced the whole series of operations, probably leading to the capture and death of the participants. On the very last operation, Mitchell returned to the rendezvous to find that one of his teams had been unable to achieve its goal, and, despite fatigue and the shortness of the night, he led his men back to finish the job.

DM2.png
David Mitchell as a young Royal Marine

Mitchell was appointed MBE for his leadership, coolness and courage.

David Mitchell was born on September 23 1929 into a well-known Sussex baking family, and while an apprentice baker at the Borough Polytechnic Institute, London, in 1948, he helped to decorate a cake with 56 lb of icing to celebrate the silver wedding anniversary of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth.

Called up for National Service, Mitchell volunteered for the Royal Marines, and never looked back. He undertook Special Forces training, was identified as officer material, and one month before discharge he opted for permanent service in the Corps.

DM3.png
Mitchell and his family

Canoeing played a big part in his life, and as a young officer he was greatly influenced by his mentor and friend Hugh Bruce, with whom he broke the national record for crossing the English Channel.

He also twice won the highly competitive Devizes to Westminster canoe race with his Marine friend Stuart Syrad. Later he commanded the Royal Marines at Poole, and his uniform career finished as Director, Royal Marines Reserves.
DM4.png
DM4.png (710.47 KiB) Viewed 1047 times

Mitchell: always ready with words of support

Mitchell was a gentle, courteous man, always ready with a smile and words of support and appreciation. Never one to claim the spotlight, he worked to ensure that others would succeed. He took little credit for his distinguished record, often saying that he had been lucky to be in the right place at the right time with the right people, and to have had such wonderful role models.

In retirement he was head of personnel at Marconi for many years, then worked tirelessly for Victim Support.

At Rouen, during a rugby tour, he was smitten by Betty Mann, the daughter of the local representative of Kiwi Polish, whose family lived in France, and immediately invited her to a ball at the Royal Naval College, Greenwich. They married in 1953. She died in 2011 and he is survived by their five children.

Colonel David Mitchell, born September 23 1929, died September 25 2021