fareastdriver (Al Tait) RIP

Lost forever.
CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

fareastdriver (Al Tait) RIP

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:18 am

I have copied below the sad notification from TOP that one of our members, Al Tait - fareastdriver- has died. We were never on the same fleet in Aberdeen and were just crewroom aquaintances but even so it's sad to hear the news.
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is with much sadness that I must record the passing on 1 Nov 21 of FAREASTDRIVER - stage name Al Tait.

Al was a Rhodesian and came to UK in 1960 entering the RAF via South Cerney, followed by the usual passage to a seat in the Valiant and when the seat collapsed he went to helicopters. Tern Hill led to 230 Sqn in Borneo and thence the Puma and after leaving the RAF he spent many years in China - I understand his logbooks are pretty full.

Al was a member of a gang called the Old Rotors, which he supported over about 20 years. Al, who seemed remarkably fit, was taken ill recently apparently not Covid, and died when complications set in when he was in hospital.

The details of his funeral are that it is a family affair and will be in Aberdeen where he and Betty, his wife lived.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: fareastdriver (Al Tait) RIP

#2 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:39 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:18 am
I have copied below the sad notification from TOP that one of our members, Al Tait - fareastdriver- has died. We were never on the same fleet in Aberdeen and were just crewroom aquaintances but even so it's sad to hear the news.
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is with much sadness that I must record the passing on 1 Nov 21 of FAREASTDRIVER - stage name Al Tait.

Al was a Rhodesian and came to UK in 1960 entering the RAF via South Cerney, followed by the usual passage to a seat in the Valiant and when the seat collapsed he went to helicopters. Tern Hill led to 230 Sqn in Borneo and thence the Puma and after leaving the RAF he spent many years in China - I understand his logbooks are pretty full.

Al was a member of a gang called the Old Rotors, which he supported over about 20 years. Al, who seemed remarkably fit, was taken ill recently apparently not Covid, and died when complications set in when he was in hospital.

The details of his funeral are that it is a family affair and will be in Aberdeen where he and Betty, his wife lived.
RIP fareastdriver.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:54 am

I remember Al, same course at South Cerney.

admin
Chief Engineer

#4 Post by admin » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:17 pm

RIP fareastdriver. Your contributions on Ops-Norm have always been appreciated.

Alison/Admin