Departed During 2022

Lost forever.
Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Departed During 2022

#281 Post by Woody » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:02 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#282 Post by Karearea » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:39 am

And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#283 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Dec 09, 2022 5:56 am

I am glad I made it to the dams this year. RIP 'Johnny Johnson' and to all of the crews that served and performed so bravely. They will never be forgotten.

MBD.JPG
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#284 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:48 am

You were a bit high there TGA.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#285 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:00 am

Drawing off the flak for the next guy in. ;)

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#286 Post by Wodrick » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:25 am

Which ?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#287 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:48 pm

U.S. soccer journalist Grant Wahl dies while covering World Cup match in Qatar
“Fans of soccer and journalism of the highest quality knew we could always count on Grant to deliver insightful and entertaining stories about our game,” U.S. Soccer said in a statement.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/us- ... -rcna61097

Grant Wahl, a longtime soccer sportswriter, died Friday in Qatar while covering the World Cup.

NPR national supervising editor Russell Lewis tweeted that Wahl was covering the Argentina-Netherlands quarterfinal match when he died. Wahl was 48.

Wahl was in an an area for media at the Lusail Stadium when he "fell ill" and was tended to on-site by paramedics and taken to a hospital, a spokesperson for Qatar's Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy said.

The cause of death was not immediately available.

U.S. Soccer said in its statement that the team was "heartbroken" over Wahl's death.

"Fans of soccer and journalism of the highest quality knew we could always count on Grant to deliver insightful and entertaining stories about our game," the organization said.

In a post Dec. 5 on his personal website, Wahl said he felt sick and that medical personnel on-site at the World Cup told him he probably had bronchitis. He said he was given antibiotics.

"My body finally broke down on me," he wrote. "Three weeks of little sleep, high stress and lots of work can do that to you. What had been a cold over the last 10 days turned into something more severe on the night of the USA-Netherlands game, and I could feel my upper chest take on a new level of pressure and discomfort."

His wife, Dr. Céline Gounder, tweeted late Friday that the news came as a "complete shock."

"I am so thankful for the support of my husband @GrantWahl‘s soccer family & of so many friends who’ve reached out tonight," she said.

The White House is in touch with Gounder, a senior administration official told NBC News. She had reached out to chief of staff Ron Klain as a friend looking for assistance in contacting the U.S. Embassy in Doha, which the National Security Council facilitated, the official said.

The U.S. State Department expressed its condolences to Wahl's family, who they said they've been in close communication with. "We are engaged with senior Qatari officials to see to it that his family’s wishes are fulfilled as expeditiously as possible," State Department spokesperson Ned Price said in a tweet.

The Qatar Supreme Committee spokesperson said they are communicating with the U.S. Embassy “to ensure the process of repatriating the body is in accordance with the family’s wishes.”

In his writing, Wahl had reflected on the extraordinary nature of a World Cup in Qatar, and noted an incident on Nov. 21, when he said he was stopped by security and held because he refused to remove a T-shirt with a rainbow logo that signified solidarity with LGBTQ+ rights. Same-sex relations are illegal in the country.

It happened as he arrived at Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium in Al Rayyan to cover the U.S.-Wales game, Wahl later wrote.

Wahl said he was held more than 30 minutes, refusing to remove the shirt, until a security commander came to release him and shake his hand.

He relayed the incident in an interview on MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell Reports.

"It left me wondering about what it's like for Qataris who are here outside of the World Cups who are gay because this was something that I had to deal with at an event that was being covered globally," Wahl told Mitchell.

Wahl had also written about the treatment of migrant workers in Qatar, where hundreds have reportedly died in the years leading up to the World Cup.

Wahl is from Mission, Kansas, and attended Princeton University as an undergraduate.

According to a bio from the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, Wahl covered at least 10 World Cups and five Olympics.

He was known for his work for Sports Illustrated and as a commentator on NPR. He wrote a well-received book about David Beckham's foray into U.S. soccer, titled "The Beckham Experiment."

It was the first New York Times Bestseller with soccer as the topic.

Sports Illustrated's top editors said late Friday that he started there in 1996 and left to pursue independent projects in 2020.

"We’re shocked and devastated at the news of Grant’s passing," SI’s co-editors in chief, Ryan Hunt and Stephen Cannella, said. "We were proud to call him a colleague and friend for two decades. No writer in the history of SI has been more passionate about the sport he loved and the stories he wanted to tell."

Numerous soccer organizations paid tribute to Wahl. Gianni Infantino, the head of FIFA, soccer’s international governing body, said in a statement that Wahl’s love of soccer was “immense and his reporting will be missed by all who follow the global game.”

The National Soccer Hall of Fame said few supported the idea of honoring the greatest players as he did; Major League Soccer said Wahl's passion for the game was immeasurable; and Angel City Football Club in Los Angeles said soccer "is better because of him."

"His commitment to sharing the stories of our beautiful game was unmatched, but more importantly, his integrity, thoughtfulness and kindness were central were central to the way he lived," National Women’s Soccer League said in a statement.

Some of Wahl's readers credited him with helping grow the sport's fan base in the United States.

U.S. soccer star Megan Rapinoe called the news "devastating" in a tweet and Hall of Famer Abby Wambach tweeted that Wahl and soccer were “inextricably linked.”

“I have looked to Grant and his work for decades," Wambach said. "The soccer story here in the US has Grant’s name all over it.”

Film and TV producer Franklin Leonard said Wahl's importance to the game stateside is hard to measure.

"If you're not both an American AND a fan of the beautiful game, it might be extremely hard to understand Grant Wahl's meaning to the community of folks who are," he tweeted, "and honestly I'm sort of at a loss to articulate it."

PP

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#288 Post by FD2 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:36 pm

Ruth Madoc - great comedienne. "Hi-de-Hi!"

First wife of the late Philip Madoc. "Don't tell him your name Pike!"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... pital.html

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Departed During 2022 -Manuel Göttsching

#289 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:34 am

Krautrock is in mourning.

Manuel Göttsching.JPG
Manuel Göttsching.JPG (41.1 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Manuel Göttsching, the Ash Ra Tempel bandleader who went on to compose the electronic cornerstone E2-E4, died last Sunday (December 4), Göttsching’s website and German media report. A representative confirmed the news to Pitchfork. “The void he leaves behind, we want to fill with his music and loving memories,” reads a statement on the website. Though no cause of death was given, the statement says he died peacefully while surrounded by his family.

Göttsching made his name in the West Berlin underground scene in the late 1960s and early ’70s. He was a core member of Ash Ra Tempel, a krautrock linchpin with revolving members including Tangerine Dream’s Klaus Schulze. The loose, shapeshifting outfit released five influential albums between 1971 and 1973. Göttsching’s solo debut, 1975’s Inventions for Electric Guitar, was subtitled Ash Ra Tempel VI; from then on he mostly produced records under his own name or as Ashra, such as the 1976 classic New Age of Earth.

In 1981, after a visit to Schulze, Göttsching improvised the composition that became known as E2-E4, hoping to throw together some listening material for an imminent trip. That mysteriously perfect hourlong exercise, which combined Prophet 10 synth pulses with waves of electronic percussion and electric guitar, came to define his post-krautrock output. After composing the track, Göttsching later recalled, the billionaire and Virgin Records owner Richard Branson invited him to his houseboat and, upon hearing the track, advised Göttsching that it could make him a fortune. But Göttsching decided to release the full improvisation on his friend Schulze’s label, without overdubs, in 1984, and it appeared to have little impact.

Though E2-E4 sold poorly, it had—unbeknownst to Göttsching—made its way across the Atlantic and into Larry Levan’s Paradise Garage sets, as well as the collections of key electronic music innovators. A 1989 Italo disco rework by Sueño Latino made international waves, and Derrick May released his own remix in 1992. As Pitchfork’s Mark Richardson wrote in a 2016 review, the improvisation “wound its way across the world, morphing and changing with formats and remixes, finding new contexts, a music that is constantly in the process of becoming.” The cycle continued in 2021, when the British producer and Berghain DJ Barker released “E7-E5,” named for a typical response to the e2-e4 chess opening.

Göttsching has indicated that he struggled to recreate the magic of E2-E4. But he went on to release a handful of compositions in the ensuing decades, including 2000’s Friendship, his Ash Ra Tempel reunion album with Schulze. In recent years, he oversaw reissues of nearly all of his albums as a solo artist and with Ash Ra Tempel, while performing live around the world.
viewtopic.php?p=354922#p354922
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Departed During 2022 Jess Barr and Peter Cooper RIP

#290 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:24 am

Jess Barr, the hard driving guitar lead at the head of the band Slobberbone has gone the way of all good men sadly! I had the pleasure of seeing him play in Dallas many years back now. RIP

Slobberbone’s guitarist, Jess Barr, had this cocky thing he used to do onstage whenever he finished a kickass guitar solo. A former University of Texas college student who had hooked up with the iconic Denton alt-country rock band in the late ’90s, Barr would look at the crowd, make a number 1 sign and, with it, a face that said, “Yeah, I nailed it. Absolutely.”

Offstage, Barr was a mild-mannered Clark Kent type, kind of an unassuming dude. But when he hit the stage, he tore it up like a rock star Superman unleashed on red kryptonite. Often slinging a Les Paul guitar but sometimes a banjo, he'd smoke one cigarette after another, as if possessed by the soul of Keith Richards.

He picked up the tagline, “Jessie Barr on the shiny gold guitar.”

“Some people would say he was pointing to the heavens,” said his best friend and business partner Danny Balis on Friday's afternoon edition of The Downbeat with Mike “The Old Grey Wolf” Rhyner on 97.1 The Freak. “No, he wasn’t doing that. He was like, ‘Yeah, I just shredded your face.’ It was beautiful and people would expect it. People would go to Slobberbone shows and during his solos, they would have the number 1 sign held up. It was beautiful.”
https://www.dallasobserver.com/music/je ... k-15470299

viewtopic.php?p=355132#p355132
Peter Cooper was a fine singer-songwriter and terrific country music journalist in Nashville who wrote a most enjoyable book called Johnny’s Cash And Charlie’s Pride which is full of terrific stories and insightful insights. He also recorded a wonderful album of songs written by possibly the best Texas songwriter you never heard of Eric Taylor.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#291 Post by Ibbie » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:52 am

Adrian Shooter .

Many of you will have heard the name over the years when railways have been in the news. A great man of railways.

https://www.railnews.co.uk/news/2022/12 ... drian.html

Adrian died in Switzerland on Tuesday of this week. He had been suffering from MND.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#292 Post by 1DC » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:02 pm

Ruth Madoc sat next to Mrs 1DC at school when she was about 13, even then there was no doubt that she was destined to be an actress.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#293 Post by llondel » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:25 pm

Hollywood's mountain lion, P-22, is now deceased.
P-22, the beloved mountain lion, was euthanized on Saturday morning days after being captured for a health evaluation, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife announced. 

According to his health evaluation, P-22 had several severe injuries and chronic health problems. He was significantly underweight and had an eye injury that made officials believe he may have been hit by a car recently.

Compassionate euthanasia under general anesthesia was unanimously recommended by the medical team at San Diego Zoo Safari Park, the California Department of Fish and Wildlife said. 
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/nationa ... d/3107948/

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Primal Scream - Martin Duffy

#294 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:44 pm

Martin Duffy, who played keyboards for Primal Scream and Felt, has died aged 55. The cause of death was a brain injury due to a fall at his home in Brighton, his bandmate Bobby Gillespie said.

“I’ve known Martin since he was a teenager in Felt,” Gillespie wrote on Instagram. “He played keyboards on every album of ours from the first to the last. Finally joining the band in 1991. Martin was a very special character. He had a love and understanding of music on a deep spiritual level. Music meant everything to him.”

Duffy was born in Birmingham on 18 May 1967 and grew up in Rednal.

He joined the indie band Felt in 1985 after frontman Lawrence put up a notice in the Birmingham branch of Virgin records advertising for a guitarist that read: “Do you want to be a rock’n’roll star?” and a man recommended Duffy.

Duffy’s sound became central to the band in the mid-80s as they signed to Creation Records, for 1986’s The Seventeenth Century, and embarked on what fans consider their imperial phase. The second side of their 1988 album The Pictorial Jackson Review features two Duffy instrumentals.

The Charlatans’ Tim Burgess cited the album as proof that Duffy was “actually the only musical genius I have ever met … me and [My Bloody Valentine’s] Kevin Shields sat up all night once with open mouths praising his natural ability,” he told the Quietus.

Duffy remained a member of the band until their split in 1989 – when Lawrence said he had fulfilled his aim of releasing 10 singles and 10 albums in 10 years.

In the interim, Duffy had played on Primal Scream’s first two albums, 1987’s Sonic Flower Groove and 1989’s Primal Scream; he joined the band full-time at the end of that year.

“He loved literature and was well read and erudite,” said Gillespie. “An autodidact. A deep thinker, curious about the world and other cultures. Always visiting museums in every city we played or looking for neolithic stones in remote places. Opinionated and stubborn in his views.”

Mojo’s Tim Tooher described Duffy as “probably the purest musician in the band, bringing in echoes of Thelonious Monk, Johnnie Johnson, Jerry Lee and Cecil Taylor. His voice sounds like his throat was pickled in whisky before he was even born. Martin brings the blues to Primal Scream.”

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... es-aged-55

Gillespie called him “the most musically talented of all of us … He could play piano to the level where he was feted not just by his peers in British music, but old school master American musicians such as James Luther Dickinson, Roger Hawkins and David Hood and producer Tom Dowd.

“I witnessed a session at Abbey Rd in 1997 for a Dr John album where his record company had assembled a bunch of young indie Brit musicians where Mac Rebenac (Dr John) seemed bored and uninterested in the session until Martin started playing, then suddenly the good Dr started knocking some funky piano chops and I instantly knew it was because his ears had pricked up when he heard Martin play and the session at last came alive.”

In 1993, Duffy was the victim of a near-fatal stabbing in New York City while there with the band.

Duffy would also play with the Charlatans following the death of founding member Rob Collins, stepping into his shoes when the band supported Oasis at Knebworth in August 1996. He also contributed to their 1997 album Tellin’ Stories.

Burgess celebrated Duffy on Twitter: “Another tragic loss of a beautiful soul. Martin Duffy stepped in to save the Charlatans when we lost Rob – he played with us at Knebworth and was a true friend. He toured with me in my solo band too – he was a pleasure to spend time with. Safe travels Duffy.”

Primal Scream bassist Simone Marie Butler also paid tribute: “You would struggle to find a more genuine, gifted, funny, kind hearted, caring, naturally talented person who played like no one else … Your light will always burn Duffy. Everyone who knew him loved, everyone who met him loved him. He was a pure genuine soul.”

Anton Newcombe of the Brian Jonestown Massacre was among the musicians to remember Duffy, alongside Asian Dub Foundation, Gruff Rhys and Dodgy.

Duffy would also collaborate with artists including Beth Orton, Steve Mason, the Pop Group’s Mark Stewart, Chemical Brothers, Paul Weller, Vic Godard and Subway Sect and Jessie Buckley, on the soundtrack to the 2018 film Wild Rose.

Duffy released a solo album, Assorted Promenades, on Burgess’s O Genesis label in 2014, which included music dating back to 1997. The album’s release was inspired by Duffy and Burgess witnessing a car catching fire by the side of the road, Duffy told the Quietus. The pair had just been listening to the John Foxx song Burning Car: “Tim saw it as a sign.”

Primal Scream’s most recent studio album, Chaosmosis, was released in 2016. Duffy also performed on frontman Bobby Gillespie’s 2021 collaborative album Utopian Ashes.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Terry Hall - 2 Tone, The Specials and so much more

#295 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:48 pm

Terry Hall, the lead singer of the Specials and a former member of Fun Boy Three and the Colourfield, has died aged 63, his bandmates in the Specials have confirmed.

“It is with great sadness that we announce the passing, following a brief illness, of Terry, our beautiful friend, brother and one of the most brilliant singers, songwriters and lyricists this country has ever produced,” the band tweeted.

“Terry was a wonderful husband and father and one of the kindest, funniest, and most genuine of souls. His music and his performances encapsulated the very essence of life… the joy, the pain, the humour, the fight for justice, but mostly the love.”

The band asked for respect for Hall’s family’s privacy.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... es-aged-63

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Ali Ahmed Aslam

#296 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:53 am

Ali Ahmed Aslam, inventor of chicken tikka masala, dies at 77
A chef who is believed to have invented the chicken tikka masala, regarded as Britain’s favourite curry, has died aged 77.

Ali Ahmed Aslam’s death on Monday was announced by his Shish Mahal restaurant in Glasgow, which closed for 48 hours as a mark of respect. The eatery announced: “Hey, Shish Snobs … Mr Ali passed away this morning … We are all absolutely devastated and heartbroken.”

His funeral was held at Glasgow Central Mosque on Tuesday. Members of the public were invited to attend.

Aslam was born in Pakistan and moved with his family to Glasgow as a young boy before opening Shish Mahal in Glasgow’s west end in 1964. He was married and has five children, according to a social media post.

In an interview with the AFP news agency, Aslam explained that he created the chicken tikka masala in the 1970s when a customer asked if there was a way of making his chicken tikka less dry. His solution was to add a creamy tomato sauce.

He said: “Chicken tikka masala was invented in this restaurant. We used to make chicken tikka, and one day a customer said, ‘I’d take some sauce with that, this is a bit dry.’

“We thought we’d better cook the chicken with some sauce. So from here we cooked chicken tikka with the sauce that contains yoghurt, cream, spices. It’s a dish prepared according to our customer’s taste. Usually they don’t take hot curry – that’s why we cook it with yoghurt and cream.”

In 2009, Mohammad Sarwar, then Labour MP for Glasgow Central, called for the city to be officially recognised as the home of the chicken tikka masala. He campaigned for Glasgow to be given EU Protected Designation of Origin status for the curry and tabled an early day motion in the House of Commons.

But the bid was unsuccessful, with a number of other establishments around the UK also claiming to have invented the popular dish.
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/d ... la-dies-77

Good luck, RIP and thank you. Another Cobra with my chicken tikka please.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Maxi Jazz

#297 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:49 pm

Maxi Jazz, RIP

Fantastic singer and lyricist

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/24/entertai ... index.html

Good to know that, if Maxi as a Buddhist is right, he'll be back!

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#298 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:44 am

I never saw Maxi Jazz live, but enjoyed his and Faithless's music. I did see a portrait of him painted by Joe Simpson back in the day...

http://www.joe-simpson.co.uk/gallery/mu ... portraits/

Sad to hear he died so early. It has been a bad week for British music.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#299 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:07 pm

I used to lend a lot of CDs to friends and colleagues.
The Faithless ones never came back. Everything else did.
I took the attitude I thought Maxi Jazz would - if they like it that much, I am glad to have provided it. I smiled and bought another copy.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#300 Post by barkingmad » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:56 pm

A great shame this great performer was not able to team up with John Fortune to take the piss out of the last 3 years of stupidity;

https://www.aol.co.uk/entertainment/ror ... 05372.html

I just hope that DVDs of their memorable discussions will still be available for grumpys like me who mistrust the so-called streaming services but who still desire a good laugh at satire. 8-}