Chief Pilot

Re: Departed During 2022

#81 Post by FD2 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:15 pm

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#82 Post by FD2 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:21 pm

I see the Mail has printed a photo of four massage girls leaving Warne's pad in Thailand. It looks as though they are slyly suggesting that this was something to do with his death.

Nobody can die in peace it seems without something like this happening. It used to be that a test of a story's worth was 'is it in the public interest?'. This and so many other stories are obviously of no concern of and certainly no business of the general public.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#83 Post by G-CPTN » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:06 pm

I had an attraction for Nurse Gladys Emmanuel.

My kind of girl!

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#84 Post by llondel » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:32 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:06 pm
I had an attraction for Nurse Gladys Emmanuel.

My kind of girl!
Aviation connection too, as Aunt Mabel in the children's programme Come Outside, with the very distinctive paint job on a T67 Firefly.

ribrash

#85 Post by ribrash » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:08 am

She made a program about papermaking and recyling at Shotton Paper whilst I worked there.Reputed to be a stuck up bitch off camera.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#86 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:50 pm

Bobbie Nelson, Willie Nelson’s sister and longtime band pianist, dies at 91
“Her elegance, grace, beauty and talent made this world a better place,” a post on Willie Nelson's Instagram said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bo ... -rcna19632

Bobbie Nelson, Willie Nelson’s sister and a member of his Willie Nelson and Family band for more than 50 years, died Thursday morning. She was 91.

She died peacefully and surrounded by family, according to post Thursday night on Willie Nelson’s Instagram that announced her death.

"Her elegance, grace, beauty and talent made this world a better place," the post said. "She was the first member of Willie’s band, as his pianist and singer. Our hearts are broken and she will be deeply missed."

The cause of death was not provided.

Willie Nelson fans rarely got a good look at Bobbie Nelson’s face on stage, but her voluminously long hair provided assurance that family was present and that, whatever other changes the band might go through, there was no separating the siblings.

“There’s just no way to explain how lucky I am to have a good musician in the family,” Willie Nelson told the Austin American-Statesman in 2007. “Whenever I’ve needed a piano player, I’ve had Sister Bobbie right there. … Whenever our band plays, Sister Bobbie is the best musician on the stage.”

The brother and sister released albums and books as a duo. A year and a half ago, the Nelsons released a memoir about their relationship, “Me and Sister Bobbie: True Tales of the Family Band” (co-written by David Ritz), and promoted it in interviews.

“My little sister was always on the piano doing great music,” Nelson recalled on the “TODAY” show in November 2020. “I would sit there on the piano stool beside her and try to figure out what the hell she was doing. … Sister Bobbie is 10 times a better musician than I am,” he said. When she demurred, he added, “I’m a little better con man, I think.”

The country superstar often referred to Bobbie as his “little sister,” although she was a couple of years older.

When she was 6 and he was 4, their grandparents taught them “The Great Speckled Bird,” and their musical relationship was forged, although it would be decades before it occurred to him that it was possible to bring Bobbie into his professional life.

In the joint memoir, Willie Nelson recalled how his creative renaissance in the early 1970s coincided with his bringing Bobbie into his band.

Legendary producer Jerry Wexler had brought him over from an unsatisfying stint at another label to Atlantic Records, where he was about to begin recording the series of classic “outlaw”-era albums that defined him. When Wexler told him he could use whoever he wanted as studio musicians, “I immediately thought of Bobbie. She was the main spark I’d been missing.”

At 42, Bobbie had never been in a record studio before or been on a plane, but both those things changed in a hurry when he convinced her in 1973 to come work on the first album he was cutting for Atlantic, a gospel album called “The Troublemaker,” then “Shotgun Willie."

"The Atlantic Records experience put me on a new course. Most important, it brought me back together with Bobbie," he said. "When the sessions in New York were over I made it plain. ‘Sister,’ I said, ‘you’re now a member of the band.’"

In 2017, Bobbie Nelson released her first and only solo album, “Audiobiography,” an album of piano instrumentals. But even without going out on her own, she was familiar to her brother’s fans from getting a showcase number of her own on tour each night, and from duo projects they did, along with just piano playing that was nearly as recognizable as her brother’s licks with his signature guitar.

I saw them live in the late seventy's. :YMAPPLAUSE:
He was promoting "The Red Headed Stranger" :-bd

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Dr Nick Lee AME

#87 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:13 pm

An Englishman, ex RAF pilot, AME and GP who made South Africa his home... RIP

Nick Lee.jpg
The family of a “beloved” far south doctor is keen to complete his autobiography, Been there, done that, and that (and that..!), which he started writing shortly before his death.

Dr Nicholas Lee was born on 11 July 1933 and according to his son-in-law, Peter Fenton, was a remarkable man whose life was both varied and abundant.

Many False Bay Echo readers will fondly remember him as a valley-based general practitioner with practices in Fish Hoek and Simon’s Town between 1970 and 1983.

His family invites anyone who knew him or had encounters with him, to submit their stories and anecdotes, humorous or otherwise, to nicklee@mweb.co.za

He was qualified in a range of holistic practices and also delivered a good number of babies in the valley, in their own homes, and in his.

Many of them, now adults, still live in the valley.

Dr Lee died on December 27 last year, a few weeks shy of his 60th wedding anniversary at his Simon’s Town home, Flora House. He was 88 years old.

A memorial service was held at St Simon and St Jude, in Simon’s Town.

While many will remember him as a general practitioner, others knew him as an active thespian with the Muizenberg Amateur Dramatic Society (MADS) and other groups, as an actor, playwright, and director who won numerous accolades over several decades, in each of those fields.

Mr Fenton said Dr Lee was a widely-accomplished self-made man whose childhood originated in the seafaring town of Plymouth, England, a town not altogether different from Simon’s Town where his father had once served as a chef in the Royal Navy, at Admiralty House.

Rising above his childhood challenges of a war-torn country, absent parents, and attending too many schools to remember, he ultimately excelled in both the arts and sciences, became an RAF fighter pilot, squadron leader and a flying instructor on Oxford University Air Squadron (where he’d also been offered a lectureship).

In between, he qualified as a doctor in London where he met his wife, Carol, coincidentally a nurse, through their mutual love of amateur dramatics.

He continued to practise medicine in the RAF, serving in several countries and war zones before moving to South Africa with his family in 1969-70, and in 1974 bought a practice that came with an old house built from the timbers of the HMS Flora.

He left his private practice in Simon’s Town in 1983 to embark upon his third career – becoming editor-in-chief of the South African Medical Journal (SAMJ) where he remained for 15 years.

After his mandatory retirement from the SAMJ, at 65, in 2000, he began working as a locum aero-medical examiner for the UK Civil Aviation Authority and for European Aviation Safety, and as senior physician for the Heathrow Medical Services Authority – while still based in Simon’s Town.

Returning to South Africa full time in 2010, he continued as senior designated aero-medical examiner for the South African Civil Aviation Authority, conducting the obligatory flying medicals for active local and international pilots from his practice in Simon’s Town, while also serving on the executive committee of the Southern African Aerospace Medical Association and doing a stint as an examining physician for the Human Sciences Research Council.

In 2018, aged 85, he finally retired from medical practice.

At this time, he also authored Fit To Fly, a textbook for pilots, completing the third edition in 2019, while continuing to produce over 60 monthly articles for African Pilot.

“Never one to rest on his laurels, Nick Lee was working on his latest book, Come Fly With Me, literally a few hours before his passing,” Mr Fenton said.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#88 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:33 pm

William Hurt, known for 'Kiss of the Spider Woman,' 'Broadcast News,' dies at 71
The Oscar-winning actor deftly alternated between leading and supporting parts, from celebrated star turns in the 1980s to recent small roles in Marvel movies.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/mov ... -rcna19854

William Hurt, the Oscar-winning actor best known for his quietly commanding performances in "Body Heat," "Kiss of the Spider Woman," "Children of a Lesser God" and "Broadcast News," died Sunday.

He was 71 — and a few days shy of his 72nd birthday.

Hurt's son, Will, told the Associated Press that his father died of natural causes while surrounded by family.

In a Hollywood career that spanned more than four decades, Hurt deftly alternated between starring and supporting roles. He was nominated for four Academy Awards, winning in 1986 for his performance as a gay prisoner in "Kiss of the Spider Woman."

In recent years, Hurt introduced himself to a new generation of viewers as U.S. government official Thaddeus Ross in five Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, including the 2021 spy thriller "Black Widow."

Hurt was capable of making a big impression even with a small part. He was particularly memorable as a sinister mob boss in David Cronenberg's "A History of Violence" — a roughly 10-minute cameo that earned him an Oscar nod for best supporting actor.

Hurt was born on March 20, 1950, in Washington, D.C. He got his start in stage repertory companies before making his feature debut in Ken Russell's sci-fi horror film "Altered States," released in 1980.

The decade that followed proved to be particularly fruitful for the tall and subtly authoritative performer. He shot to leading man status with his turn in Kasdan's erotic neo-noir thriller "Body Heat" (1981), burning up the screen alongside Kathleen Turner.

He again teamed up with Kasdan two years later later in the reunion dramedy "The Big Chill," standing out in a crowded ensemble as an emotionally scarred Vietnam War veteran and drug dealer.

Héctor Babenco's "Kiss of the Spider Woman" brought Hurt some of the most significant accolades and glowing reviews of his career. He played Luis Alberto Molina, who shares a Brazilian prison cell with Raúl Juliá's leftist activist.

Hurt's performance earned him the best actor Oscar as well as equivalent prizes from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) and the National Board of Review.

He was nominated for an Oscar a year later for his leading role in the romantic drama "Children of a Lesser God," co-starring with Marlee Matlin. (He lost the Oscar to Paul Newman for Martin Scorsese's "The Color of Money.")

Hurt scored a third consecutive actor nomination as the charming and charismatic but intellectually limited TV news anchorman Tom Grunick in James L. Brooks' beloved romantic comedy "Broadcast News."

Time magazine critic Richard Corliss praised Hurt for "never standing safely outside his character, always allowing Tom to find the humor in his too-rapid success, locating a dimness behind his eyes when Tom is asked a tough question — and for Tom, poor soulless sensation-to-be, all questions are tough ones."

Albert Brooks, who co-starred with Hurt in "Broadcast News," mourned his passing in a tweet Sunday. "He will be greatly missed," Brooks said in part.

Hurt collaborated with Kasdan again for the popular comedy "The Accidental Tourist" (1988). He worked at a steady clip in the 1990s, appearing in Wim Wenders' "Until the End of the World" (1991), Alex Proyas' "Dark City" (1998) and various under-the-radar productions.

In that era, Hurt seemed to refashion himself as a character actor who did not necessarily need to dominate the multiplex marquee.

"It's difficult to say whether other factors, like Mr. Hurt's personal life or reports that he is difficult to work with, have contributed to his low screen profile in the 1990s so far," The New York Times reporter Anita Gates wrote in a 1994 profile.

"In person, Mr. Hurt doesn’t seem hostile," Gates went on to write. "He smiles, is polite and even gives an occasional playful answer."

Hurt was comparatively more high-profile in the 2000s, appearing in Steven Spielberg's "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" (2001), M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village" (2004), Cronenberg's "A History of Violence" (2005) and Sean Penn's "Into the Wild" (2007).

He also showed up on television, including the second season of the FX series "Damages." He portrayed the former Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson in the HBO financial crisis film "Too Big to Fail," which aired in 2011.

PP

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#89 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:32 am

Really sorry to hear about William Hurt. The Big Chill was a kind of coming of age film for me and my then youthful circle of friends, in the way that Catcher in the Rye wasn't when it came to books.

I took my mother to see Body Heat safe in the knowledge that the South African censors would make it mom friendly only to discover, to my horror, that they hadn't cut it at all. =))

Fortunately we sat in seats in the back at the cinema and mom, in her vanity refused to admit she needed glasses, and thus missed, what for South Africa, were some pretty raunchy scenes. That said it was a good film.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#90 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:48 am

I rather mangled that last sentence...

Fortunately we sat in seats at the back of the cinema, and mom, in her vanity, refused to admit she needed glasses, and thus missed, what for South Africa were some pretty raunchy scenes. That said it was a good film.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#91 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:27 pm

Peter Bowles bows out...
To The Manor Born star Peter Bowles has died: Charismatic stage and screen actor who shot to fame on much-loved BBC sitcom as wealthy landlord Richard DeVere loses cancer battle, aged 85
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ge-85.html

He was the perfect languid English lounge lizard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Bowles
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#92 Post by Karearea » Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:22 pm

I particularly remember Peter Bowles in the film The Charge of the Light Brigade; episodes of The Avengers and The Saint; the "Lord Peter Wimsey" mini-series Murder Must Advertise, and To the Manor Born, of course.
Very talented actor.
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#93 Post by FD2 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:03 pm

Don't forget The Irish RM series - sent to Ireland as a naive ex-Army officer, appointed as a Resident Magistrate, who was continually being bested by the locals.

We watched him on stage in Norwich in a two man play - a very good performance - but maybe his physique and inbuilt manner limited the roles he was given.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#94 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:21 pm

Madeleine Albright, first female secretary of state, dies at 84
Albright was the first woman to serve as the country's top diplomat.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... -rcna21247

Madeleine Albright, the first woman to serve as U.S. secretary of state, died Wednesday, her family said in a statement. She was 84.

She died of cancer, her family said, adding that she was "surrounded by family and friends" at the time.

"We have lost a loving mother, grandmother, sister, aunt and friend," the statement said, as well as a "tireless champion of democracy and human rights."

Then-President Bill Clinton named Albright U.S. ambassador to the United Nations shortly after he was inaugurated in 1993, and nominated her as secretary of state three years later. She was confirmed in 1997 by a vote of 99-0. At the time, she was the highest-ranking woman in the history of the U.S. government.

Albright served in the post for four years, actively promoting the expansion of NATO and military intervention in Kosovo.

After leaving public office, she went on to teach at Georgetown University's School of Foreign Service and became a prolific author, writing seven New York Times bestsellers.

In 2012, then-President Barack Obama awarded Albright the Medal of Freedom, the country's highest civilian honor.

"I never thought that I would have the kind of life I’ve had,” she told Elle magazine in a 2020 interview. Asked for her best job experience, she said, "Being Secretary of State and sitting behind the sign that said the United States, especially since I wasn’t born here, and I am a very grateful American."

She’s survived by three daughters and six grandchildren, as well as a brother and sister.

PP

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#95 Post by FD2 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:28 pm

Mario Terán, Bolivian soldier who became known as ‘the man who shot Che Guevara’ https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/ ... e-guevara/

He said it was the worst moment of his life, and the revolutionary told him: ‘Aim well! You are going to kill a man!’

By Telegraph Obituaries 23 March 2022 • 5:00pm

Mario Terán, who has died aged 80, was a warrant officer in the Bolivian army who earned a notorious place in history as the man who shot Ernesto “Che” Guevara in 1967.

The Argentine revolutionary had been right-hand man to Fidel Castro during the Cuban revolution, and El Presidente subsequently sent him to foment Left-wing uprisings abroad, though without conspicuous success.

He and his followers were eventually tracked down and captured after a shoot-out in a ravine by a group led by General Gary Prado, who was intending to deliver Guevara to a court martial. But orders came down from the Bolivian government – apparently to satisfy the CIA – to terminate Guevara, who was then 39 (the phrase “Hello dad” was the codeword to proceed with the killing).

Guevara had told his captors that he was worth more to them alive than dead, but Terán was deputed to carry out the deed. Guevara, who had been wounded during the shoot-out that led to his capture, was being kept in a hut, which the young officer entered carrying his M2 carbine rifle.

“It was the worst moment of my life,” Terán said later. “I saw Che large, very large. His eyes shone intensely. I felt him coming over me and when he fixed his gaze on me, it made me dizzy ...

“ ‘Calm yourself,’ he told me, ‘and aim well! You are going to kill a man!’ Then I took a step back toward the door, close my eyes and fired.”

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#96 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:43 am

There's a special place in Hell for that warmongering bitch.

Even by the standards of American warmongers, she was profoundly evil.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#97 Post by FD2 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:44 am

Taylor Hawkins, Foo Fighters drummer, dead at 50.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-60884259

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#98 Post by FD2 » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:45 pm

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#99 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:53 am

Sadly appropriate for the country of his demise (sorry it had to be said Mr Marin) although the marching powder is unproven. He had a near death experience due to an overdose back in 2001 having spent two weeks in hospital unconscious and near to death. Waste of a basically good guy with a lot of talent.

I trust this won't result in flak but I think it, title and lyrics, particularly appropriate to the subject... it also showcases Mr Hawkins' versatility as a drummer. A classic album.

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#100 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:27 am

Foo Fighters drummer Taylor Hawkins 'had ten different drugs in his system including heroin, marijuana, antidepressants and opioids' when he died in Colombia hotel

If a little is good, a lot must be way better. [-X

PP