Departed During 2023

Lost forever.
Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Departed During 2023

#1 Post by Wodrick » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:26 am

Anita Pointer, I think the last of the Pointer Sisters.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Departed During 2023

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 01, 2023 3:04 pm

Not so fast Wodders. [-X
Report says she died on Saturday here.

Anita Pointer of the Pointer Sisters dies at 74

Anita was the second oldest of the four sisters, who rose to fame with hits in the 1970’s and 80’s including “I’m So Excited.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/an ... -rcna63854

Anita Pointer of the Grammy-winning Pointer Sisters, who rose to fame with hits in the 1970's and 80's including "I'm So Excited," died of cancer on Saturday, her publicist announced. She was 74.

Anita was surrounded by her family at the time of death, her publicist said in a statement.

Anita was the second oldest of the four sisters, who began singing in their father's church in Oakland, Calif., more than 50 years ago. She is survived by her sister Ruth, brothers Aaron and Fritz and granddaughter Roxie.

Anita's only daughter, Jada, died in 2003. Her death also comes after her sister Bonnie, who was also one of the group’s founding members but left in the mid-1970s for a solo career, died in 2020 at the age of 69. The youngest sister, June, died in 2006.

“While we are deeply saddened by the loss of Anita, we are comforted in knowing she is now with her daughter, Jada and her sisters June & Bonnie and at peace," the family said in a statement.

"She was the one that kept all of us close and together for so long. Her love of our family will live on in each of us. Please respect our privacy during this period of grief and loss. Heaven is a more loving beautiful place with Anita there,” they added.

The Pointer Sisters started as a trio in 1969 when Anita quit her secretary job to join her sisters Bonnie and June, according to the statement.

Image: FILE: Anita Pointer Dies At 74 Benefit Performance of A.R. Gurney's "Love Letters"
Anita Pointer.Kevin Winter / Getty Images
Bill Graham signed them to a management contract and they went on tour with Elvin Bishop. The oldest sister, Ruth, joined the group in 1972 to form the quartet.

The Pointer Sisters released their debut album in 1973, with their single “Yes We Can Can” becoming an instant hit, ranking #11 on the Billboard charts.

They won the Grammy a year later in 1974, with their crossover hit “Fairytale,” from “That’s a Plenty” album, which Anita wrote with Bonita and Elvis Presley also recorded later.

The group would go on to win two more Grammy awards in 1984 for "Automatic," part of their bestselling album "Breakout," later receiving a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1994. They also performed at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics closing ceremony.

Among their greatest hits was the R&B sensation "Fire," which reached #2 on the charts, and “Jump (For My Love).”

PP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:03 am

Apollo astronaut Walter Cunningham dead at 90

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/03/world/na ... index.html

Walter Cunningham, a retired NASA astronaut and pilot of the first crewed flight in the space agency’s famed Apollo program, died early Tuesday morning at the age of 90, NASA said.

Cunningham was one of the earliest members of NASA’s human spaceflight program as a member of its third astronaut class, joining the space agency in 1963. He was selected to pilot Apollo 7, the first crewed mission of the NASA program that went on to land humans on the moon for the first time.

“We would like to express our immense pride in the life that he lived, and our deep gratitude for the man that he was — a patriot, an explorer, pilot, astronaut, husband, brother, and father,” the Cunningham family noted in a statement shared by NASA. “The world has lost another true hero, and we will miss him dearly.”

Cunningham writes with a Fisher Space Pen during the flight of Apollo 7, the first crewed Apollo flight and the Space Pen's first trip to space. The pens have been used on every NASA human spaceflight mission since.

The Apollo 7 mission launched in 1968 and lasted roughly 11 days, sending the crew on a journey into orbit that amounted to a test flight that could demonstrate the Apollo capsule’s ability to rendezvous with another spacecraft in orbit and pave the way for future exploration deeper into space. It was also notable for featuring in the first live TV broadcast of Americans from space, according to NASA.

Cunningham was the last surviving member of the Apollo 7 crew, which also included astronauts Wally Schirra and Donn Eisele.

Born in Creston, Iowa, and a recipient of an honors bachelor’s degree in physics and a masters with distinction in physics from the University of California at Los Angeles, Cunningham was 36 years old when the Apollo 7 mission launched. During an interview with NASA’s Oral History Office in 1999, he reflected on his career path and motivations.

“I’m one of those people that never really looked back. I only recall that when someone asked me after I became an astronaut,” Cunningham said. “All I remember is just kind of keeping my nose to the grindstone and wanting to do the best I could as — I didn’t realize at the time, but that was because I always wanted to be better prepared for the next step. I’ve always been looking to the future. I don’t live in the past.”

Though he ventured into outer space only once, Cunningham went on to become a leader in NASA’s Skylab program, the United States’ first space station that orbited Earth from 1973 to 1979.

Before joining NASA, Cunningham enlisted in the US Navy and began training as a pilot in 1952, according to his official NASA biography, and he served as a fighter pilot with the US Marine Corps on 54 missions in Korea.

“The only thing I can ever recall doing specifically to become an astronaut, because I looked at it that I had become one of, if not the best, fighter pilot in the world,” Cunningham said in the interview with NASA’s Oral History Office.

Cunningham also completed a doctorate in physics at UCLA without completing a thesis, and later, in 1974, he completed an advanced management program at the Harvard Graduate School of Business, according to NASA.

He worked as a physicist for the Rand Corporation, a nonprofit military think tank, prior to joining the astronaut corps.

After leaving the space agency, Cunningham wore many hats, taking on various roles in the private sector. According to his NASA biography, he served in a number of executive roles at development companies, worked as a consultant for startups, became an entrepreneur and investor, and, eventually, became a radio talk show host.

In later years, Cunningham also became an outspoken critic of prevailing notions about humanity’s impact climate change.

PP

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:12 am

Idiot that I am, I posted Ken Block's obituary in 2022.

Ken Block always drove at 11/10ths.

viewtopic.php?p=356739#p356739
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Woody » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:50 am

When all else fails, read the instructions.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Woody » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:40 pm

Part of my early rugby education.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64229459

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by Rwy in Sight » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:23 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_II_of_GreeceThe former King Constantine II of Greece has just passed away.

I haven't lived at all under his reign but still I feel a loss.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:38 pm

Sad news indeed.

Jeff Beck is dead.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 60575.html
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by Woody » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:20 am

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#10 Post by k3k3 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:38 pm

The first concert I went to was Beck, Bogert & Appice at Portsmouth Guildhall, must have been about 1973/4.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by llondel » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:45 am

Lisa Marie Presley, age 54. Major cardiac arrest, it seems. I saw an earlier item that said she'd been taken to hospital, clearly that wasn't enough.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64255117

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:05 am

Was she on the toilet?

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:40 am

South African, ex-world heavyweight WBA champion.
Gerhardus Christian Coetzee (8 April 1955 – 12 January 2023) was a South African professional boxer who competed from 1974 to 1986, and in 1993 and 1997.He was the first African ever to fight for, and win, a world heavyweight championship, having held the WBA title from 1983 to 1984. He held notable knockout wins against WBA world heavyweight champion Michael Dokes and former unified world heavyweight champion Leon Spinks, as well as a draw with future WBC world heavyweight champion Pinklon Thomas.

One of Coetzee's nicknames, "The Bionic Hand", came about because of persistent troubles with his right hand, which required the insertion of several corrective items during three surgeries. His Afrikaans nickname was "Seer Handjies", or "Sore Little Hands", named so by fellow South African boxing great Kallie Knoetze.

Coetzee died of cancer on 12th of January 2023, at the age of 67.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrie_Coetzee

https://www.iol.co.za/sport/boxing/he-w ... a4ca5901b1

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:47 am

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:37 pm

Robbie Bachman, drummer of Bachman-Turner Overdrive, dead at 69

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/13/entertai ... index.html

Robbie Bachman – the drummer of Canadian rock band Bachman-Turner Overdrive – has died at age 69, his brother and bandmate Randy Bachman announced via Twitter on Thursday.

“Another sad departure. The pounding beat behind BTO, my little brother Robbie has joined Mum, Dad & brother Gary on the other side. Maybe Jeff Beck needs a drummer! He was an integral cog in our rock ‘n’ roll machine and we rocked the world together,” Bachman said alongside a black and white photo of the band.

Born in Winnipeg, Canada, Robin “Robbie” Bachman founded the band Brave Belt in 1971, alongside Randy and Chad Allan, both of whom had left the band The Guess Who a year earlier. They were later joined by bassist Fred Turner and recorded two albums.

After Allan left Brave Belt in 1972 and another Bachman brother, Tim, joined, the band renamed itself Bachman-Turner Overdrive and it was in this incarnation that they found widespread success.

Bachman guitar found trnd
Rock star Randy Bachman's treasured Gretsch guitar was stolen 45 years ago. An internet sleuth helped find it
The band’s self-titled debut was released in 1973, followed later the same year by “Bachman-Turner Overdrive II,” which contained the hits “Let It Ride” and “Takin’ Care of Business.” Both these songs were later used in movie soundtracks, featuring in “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues” and Will Ferrell’s “The Campaign,” respectively.

Bachman-Turner Overdrive released its most popular album, “Not Fragile,” in 1974. The LP topped the US album chart and produced the number one single “You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet,” as well as “Roll on Down the Highway,” co-written by Robbie Bachman and Turner.

The group temporarily disbanded in 1979, but Robbie reunited with his former bandmates in 1988 and they toured until 1991.

Bachman-Turner Overdrive was inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame in 2014.

PP

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:55 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:37 pm
Robbie Bachman, drummer of Bachman-Turner Overdrive, dead at 69

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/13/entertai ... index.html

Robbie Bachman – the drummer of Canadian rock band Bachman-Turner Overdrive – has died at age 69, his brother and bandmate Randy Bachman announced via Twitter on Thursday.

PP
We aint't see nothing like Mr Bachman yet... RIP

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:50 am

Robbie Knievel, daredevil son of Evel Knievel, dies at 60

https://www.abc15.com/news/national/rob ... dies-at-60

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Robbie Knievel, an American stunt performer who set records with daredevil motorcycle jumps following the tire tracks of his thrill-seeking father — including at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas in 1989 and a Grand Canyon chasm a decade later — has died in Nevada, his brother said. He was 60.

Robbie Knievel died early Friday at a hospice in Reno after battling pancreatic cancer, Kelly Knievel said.

“Daredevils don’t live easy lives,” Kelly Knievel told The Associated Press. “He was a great daredevil. People don’t really understand how scary it is what my brother did.”

As a boy, Robbie Knievel began on his bicycle to emulate his famous father, Evel Knievel, who died in 2007 in Clearwater, Florida.

But where Evel Knievel famously almost died from injuries when he crashed his Harley-Davidson during a jump over the Caesars Palace fountains in Las Vegas in 1967, Robbie completed the jump in 1989 using a specially designed Honda.

Robbie Knievel also made headline-grabbing Las Vegas Strip jumps over a row of limousines in 1998 at the Tropicana Hotel; between two buildings at the Jockey Club in 1999; and a New Year’s Eve jump amid fireworks in front of a volcano attraction at The Mirage on Dec. 31, 2008.

After a crash-landing to complete a motorcycle leap over a 220-foot (61-meter) chasm at an Indian reservation outside Grand Canyon National Park in 1999, Robbie Knievel noted that his father always wanted to jump the spectacular natural landmark in Arizona, but never did. Robbie Knievel broke his leg in his crash.

Evel Knievel instead attempted to soar over a mile-wide Snake River Canyon chasm in Idaho in September 1974. His rocket-powered cycle crashed into the canyon while his escape parachute deployed.

Robbie Knievel's brother recalled other stunts including a 2004 jump over a row of military aircraft on the deck of the aircraft carrier USS Intrepid, a museum in New York.

Robbie Knievel, who promoted himself as “Kaptain Robbie Knievel,” set several stunt records, but also failed in several attempts. In 1992, at age 29, he was injured when he crashed into the 22nd of 25 pickup trucks lined up across a 180-foot (55-meter) span in Cerritos, California.

“Injuries took quite a toll on him,” Kelly Knievel said Friday.

Kelly Knievel lives in Las Vegas. He said his brother died with three daughters at his side: Krysten Knievel Hansson of Chicago, Karmen Knievel of Missoula, Montana, and Maria Collins of Waldport, Oregon.

Services were not immediately scheduled, but Kelly Knievel said his brother will be buried with other family members in Butte, Montana.

PP

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#18 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:58 pm

As a kid, living in Johannesburg, I, like all my little friends, and probably most boys of my age worldwide, was an Evel Knieval fan. I remember pestering the father of my best friend to take us to see the film below at the the old drive-in cinema at the top of the mine dump in Johannesburg. . Robbie Knieval was as good, if not even more fearless than his dad (whose showmanship was without peer), and it is sad to hear of his untimely death.

Suffice it to say it was the only George Hamilton film that I ever enjoyed!

Edited to say the opening scenes still make me laugh and now I think that living in Bute Montana and Johannesburg, at the time, might have had many similarities in sone ways, being mining towns and all, although Bute looks a lot prettier than Johannesburg! =))

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:24 pm

Gina Lollobrigida: Italian screen star dies at 95.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64292026
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#20 Post by Karearea » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:54 pm

^ Sorry to hear Gina has gone.
She was extraordinarily beautiful.
I have Beat the Devil and Come September on dvds.
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...